Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

help my muscles, please!

Old 01-12-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

help my muscles, please!

ok, so i just started an aerobics class after several years of no excersizing and i know i will hardly be able to walk tomorrow. does anyone know of any products, home remedies, tips that will keep me fully functional and able to go back to class on friday????

Old 01-12-05, 04:26 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After you excercise, stetching is the best bet.
Old 01-12-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Marijiuana??

Icy hot?
Old 01-12-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A hot shower/bath and some Advil might help, along with some gentle stretching.

See? Exercise is bad.
Old 01-12-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After a workout, I like to enjoy a Hardee's Monster Thickburger

Old 01-12-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What happened to the b/f with the girly hands?
Old 01-12-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gradually work your way into it... if your in that much pain your overdoing it.
Old 01-12-05, 06:03 PM
Banned

Old 01-12-05, 06:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
After a workout, I like to enjoy a Hardee's Monster Thickburger

Yep there goes the workout.
Old 01-12-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only thing that will stop the soreness is working out again.
Old 01-12-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Have you tried some Protein Shakes?It helps the muscles.
Old 01-12-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you should get on the treadmill and walk for 15-20 minutes after your class, then do some stretching afterwards. the cool down is often over looked. i'm glad i started doing it. it's saved me a lot of sore day afters.
Old 01-13-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The only thing that will stop the soreness is working out again.
Not true and very very bad advice...an old wives tale that needs to be put to bed.

http://chetday.com/soreness.htm

When you work out, you literally "tear down" muscle tissue (these are microscopic tears - not like a "torn" muscle in the medical sense). During the days after the workout, the muscle begins to rebuild itself, provided it is allowed enough time to recover and sufficient nutrients are provided. This rebuilding process creates a "new" muscle that is bigger and stronger than before. In a nutshell, this is how the enitre process of muscle growth takes place.....

....What if you're still sore from your previous workout? Should you still train? If the soreness is very minor, then yes, go ahead and train right through it. As blood gets in the area and your body temperature increases, the remaining soreness will dissipate. However, if there is any substantial amount of soreness remaining from the last workout whatsoever, that is a sign that you have not completely recovered yet. Your body is still "healing." If you keep breaking down muscle before it has a chance to recover, the effect will be the opposite of what you want: you will get weaker and smaller.
Old 01-13-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by costanza
you should get on the treadmill and walk for 15-20 minutes after your class, then do some stretching afterwards. the cool down is often over looked. i'm glad i started doing it. it's saved me a lot of sore day afters.
No it hasn't....

http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/1346.html

Many people think that cooling down by exercising at a very slow pace after exercising more vigorously, helps to prevent muscle soreness. It doesn't. Cooling down speeds up the removal of lactic acid from muscles, but a buildup of lactic acid does not cause muscle soreness, so cooling down will not help to prevent muscle soreness. Stretching does not prevent soreness either, since post-exercise soreness is not due to contracted muscle fibers.

Next-day muscle soreness should be used as a guide to training, whatever your sport. On one day, go out and exercise right up to the burn, back off when your muscles really start to burn, then pick up the pace again and exercise to the burn. Do this exercise-to-the-burn and recover until your muscles start to feel stiff, and then stop the workout. Depending on how sore your muscles feel, take the next day off or go at a very slow pace. Do not attempt to train for muscle burning again until the soreness has gone away completely. Most athletes take a very hard workout on one day, go easy for one to seven days afterward, and then take a hard workout again. World-class marathon runners run very fast only twice a week. The best weightlifters lift very heavy only once every two weeks. High jumpers jump for height only once a week. Shot putters throw for distance only once a week. Exercise training is done by stressing and recovering.
Old 01-13-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In short....the soreness is good, and a sign of a good workout. The key is to rest for a few days after until it is mostly gone before going at it again. It is caused by muscle tears that need to heal. Absolutely do not push it the next day or any sooner than before the soreness is 90% gone. you will only do more damage. Stretching BEFORE a workout helps the most. After doesn't hurt, but it's not going to prevent any damage you already did during hte workout.