Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

No More Talking Babies!!!

Old 01-12-05, 02:08 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,656
No More Talking Babies!!!

The whole talking baby phenomenon (if it can even be called that) was maybe clever and funny about 10 years ago. It was a novelty, to have a baby talk like an adult, with its lips moving while making cute faces. Tonight, while I was watching Iron Chef, I saw what must have been the absolute pinnacle of digging up an old idea and making it worse. It was a Quizno's commercial, whose commercials haven't been all that bad recently. But the advertising executive who decided to paste some fucker's mouth on a cute baby boy must be destroyed, for all our sakes. The mouth didn't even look normal sliding around on the poor child's chin; it looked like some 13 year old kid just found a shareware version of some shitty animation software laying around and decided to destroy their home movies by pasting his drunk uncle's dirty mouth over his little cousin's first words. Just shameful.
FinkPish is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 02:26 AM
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 1,071
Originally Posted by FinkPish
the absolute pinnacle of digging up an old idea and making it worse.
You obviously havent seen this:

Forum Troll is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 03:04 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,656
For obvious reasons, I haven't seen that. At least in the ads for that movie, they seemed to try to make it somewhat convincing. This commercial looked like it was made back in the days of The Ed Sullivan Show.
FinkPish is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 03:42 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
You have to much time on your hands
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 05:34 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,038
What makes that commercial even worse, if it could be any worse, is that it's Baby Bob. You know, that obnoxious character from the horrid CBS series a couple years back? Who all started because of a stupid commercial for freeinternet.com... Why won't this dumb idea just die already?
coladar is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 05:51 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Last House on the Left
Posts: 12,332
Strongly agreement. I was (bad) shuddering at that ad last evening.

Nor should they be baring babies' asses for diaper commercials. It's not cute, and must be a real "innocent" treat for pedophiles. I mean, how does the bare ass of a baby sell more diapers? Reminding the parents that they have to buy them, and that there's a crap-covered ass that needsa cleanin'.
WhoGirl is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 06:55 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 8,572
Originally Posted by coladar
What makes that commercial even worse, if it could be any worse, is that it's Baby Bob. You know, that obnoxious character from the horrid CBS series a couple years back? Who all started because of a stupid commercial for freeinternet.com... Why won't this dumb idea just die already?
In Hollywood, some ideas fail up.
Brain Stew is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 08:30 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: GA
Posts: 1,397
IMHO, it is WORLDS better than the retarded commercials that they have shown in the past... hello... dead rats (or marmosets or whatever) anyone? makes you want a sub sandwich, huh? man sucking wolf teat? mmm mmm, making you hungry yet?

http://www.anupriyo.com/blog/archive...emonkeys.shtml

http://www.molly.com/2003/09/27/quiz...s-commercials/

http://www.jeffblaylock.com/southrim/000467.shtml

Last edited by ScottyWH; 01-12-05 at 08:33 AM.
ScottyWH is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 09:27 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,466
Yeah!!! Kill the babies!!










I saw it for the first time last night too and thought it was kind of funny.
talemyn is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 09:29 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You have to much time on your hands
Incidentally, congratulations on your 47,521st post!
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 09:30 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,373
Originally Posted by ScottyWH
IMHO, it is WORLDS better than the retarded commercials that they have shown in the past... hello... dead rats (or marmosets or whatever) anyone? makes you want a sub sandwich, huh?
*gasp* Blasphemy! I loved the spongemonkeys! It's your fault their gone!

X
Xander is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 09:36 AM
  #12  
2017 TOTY Winner
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Id go one step further and say they should ban any stupid 'mouth moving' special effects in movies and ads-- be it a baby or dog, cat -- anything that dosnt talk. Its not funny.
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 09:49 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,466
Originally Posted by Xander
*gasp* Blasphemy! I loved the spongemonkeys! It's your fault their gone!

X
It's okay Xander . . . they'll always be with us in our hearts . . .

talemyn is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 09:52 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The Money Pit
Posts: 8,159
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Incidentally, congratulations on your 47,521st post!
vaporware is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 10:27 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: GA
Posts: 1,397
Originally Posted by talemyn
It's okay Xander . . . they'll always be with us in our hearts . . .



whoops... sorry... dead rats made me want to barf up a sub sandwich
ScottyWH is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 03:09 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,373
Originally Posted by talemyn
It's okay Xander . . . they'll always be with us in our hearts . . .


"They have a pepper bar!"

Xander is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 03:23 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 593
RatherGood.com
charlie bucket is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 03:24 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Formerly known as "brizz"/kck
Posts: 23,425
Originally Posted by WhoGirl

Nor should they be baring babies' asses for diaper commercials. It's not cute, and must be a real "innocent" treat for pedophiles. I mean, how does the bare ass of a baby sell more diapers? Reminding the parents that they have to buy them, and that there's a crap-covered ass that needsa cleanin'.
you can't be serious.



oh, and I HATE talking babies too....HATE THEM.
HistoryProf is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 03:50 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Originally Posted by FinkPish
I saw what must have been the absolute pinnacle of digging up an old idea and making it worse. It was a Quizno's commercial, whose commercials haven't been all that bad recently. But the advertising executive who decided to paste some fucker's mouth on a cute baby boy must be destroyed, for all our sakes.
Yet here you are talking about Quizno's and getting others to talk about Quizno's. I say, give that advertising executive a raise.
Numanoid is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 04:04 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 8,572
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yet here you are talking about Quizno's and getting others to talk about Quizno's. I say, give that advertising executive a raise.
I guess no publicity is bad publicity, eh? Unless of course you're receiving NO publicity, then that's bad.
Brain Stew is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 04:31 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Last House on the Left
Posts: 12,332
Originally Posted by brizz
you can't be serious.
oh, and I HATE talking babies too....HATE THEM.
I am serious, and don't call me "You."

The bare ass of a baby is nothing I want to see on regular television stations. It's not cute or funny to me. In any context. Maybe it's because I hate babies in general.

I wasn't saying the were targeting pedophiles, but pedophiles would love an ad like that more than any other audience, except mothers (but in a different way.) You can't show the bare ass of a six year old on basic television, but why are babies allowed to? It doesn't seem right. Legally, since there are sickos like that out there who prefer infants, it just shouldn't be shown. Make sense now?


Well, looky-look here. See what's "Coming Soon!"



The last one of the trilogy has talking dogs!! Talking dogs!!

Last edited by WhoGirl; 01-12-05 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Do I need a reason for editing? No, but I do like this extra line. Aww yeah.
WhoGirl is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 04:37 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Formerly known as "brizz"/kck
Posts: 23,425
Originally Posted by WhoGirl
I am serious, and don't call me "You."

The bare ass of a baby is nothing I want to see on regular television stations. It's not cute or funny to me. In any context. Maybe it's because I hate babies in general.

I wasn't saying the were targeting pedophiles, but pedophiles would love an ad like that more than any other audience, except mothers (but in a different way.) You can't show the bare ass of a six year old on basic television, but why are babies allowed to? It doesn't seem right. Legally, since there are sickos like that out there who prefer infants, it just shouldn't be shown. Make sense now?
I'm sorry, but that reasoning is ludicrous. There are sickos out there who get off on, well, just about anything you can imagine. So what? Should we not show any Mannequins? Stuffed animals? shirtless boys?
HistoryProf is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 04:49 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Last House on the Left
Posts: 12,332
Originally Posted by brizz
I'm sorry, but that reasoning is ludicrous. There are sickos out there who get off on, well, just about anything you can imagine. So what? Should we not show any Mannequins? Stuffed animals? shirtless boys?
This could go into a huge debate, but I don't want to hijack the thread any further, so I'll briefly reply to this without going into much detail.

Shirtless is one thing. Bare-assed is another.

There is a fetish for everything, but one prominant one that can be nipped in the bud is naked children on basic stations.

No response to why six-year-olds are forbidden to show rear, but naked babies are?

Last edited by WhoGirl; 01-12-05 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Must... not... get far into.. this... thing..
WhoGirl is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 10:26 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
I think the whole moving mouth over a photo needs to go. I mean I understand Conan would be out of a job but its soooo not funny.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 10:29 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think the whole moving mouth over a photo needs to go. I mean I understand Conan would be out of a job but its soooo not funny.
JINGLE ALL THE WAY NOW ON DVD!!!
Cameron is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.