Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

hypertrophy specific training : HELP!

Old 01-11-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hypertrophy specific training : HELP!

for those of you that are familiar with this type of weight lifting program, please help...

check out this webpage:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html

scroll down to the HST example routine chart...

please help with what the following exercises are/mean:
stiff leg deads
dips
chins
lateral raise
rear delt

please excuse my ignorance here...i have a vague notion of what they MIGHT mean, but i want to be sure.

thanks, as always...
Old 01-11-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Check out exrx.net or ask on the HST forums for really detailed info on how to perform these exercises. The folks there are super nice.
Old 01-11-05, 04:55 PM

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/Home.htm
http://strengthtraining.asimba.com/...le_group68.html

Those should give you a good start for exercise form. If you don't know what those exercises are I would suggest that you should probably start off with a couple months of mwf full body workouts. That would give you time to get used to the movements without worrying about increasing your weight every workout.
Old 01-11-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks guys...
Old 01-11-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok another question for you HST experts...

for example of squats for instance:
Workout 1 (Week 1, Monday)-50lbs
Workout 2 (Week 1, Wednesday)-60lbs
Workout 3 (Week 1, Friday)-70lbs
Workout 4 (Week 2, Monday)-80lbs
Workout 5 (Week 2, Wednesday)-90lbs
Workout 6 (Week 2, Friday)- 100lbs

what should my reps and sets be here, in relation to days of the cycle? i know that you do 15, 10, and 5 but how in relation to the cycle? and how many sets of each?

i've looked on the HST website, but it's too confusing (again, pardon the ignorance). its sometimes easier to follow concrete examples as above, but with the reps and sets spelled out...can anyone help?
Old 01-11-05, 07:59 PM

You start off at 15 reps for 1 or 2 sets 3 times/week. You increase the weight every single workout. Your goal is to use the same number of reps for two weeks and end up pretty close to failure on your last rep of your last workout for the two week period. At the beginning of the next two weeks, you drop your weight back down a little and start again at the slightly lower rep range. You usually have a two workout overlap with the reps you are currently working on and the reps for the previous two weeks. The 15 rep week is not intended to increase muscle size, it is intended to increase tendon and stabilizer strength. You do not want to work the muscle to failure every workout. If you work to failure on the same muscles 3 times a week you will injure yourself.
Old 01-12-05, 11:13 AM
Banned

Physical fitness... whatever, you know? Whatever. You do what you like to do, I do what I like to do, OK? But you're a sucker. You get fed this line about how, like, you're gonna live forever or whatever. You're gonna die. Someone'll kill ya. Someone'll kill ya with a knife. You make sure your abs are, uh, friggin' ripped; you got some good guns! You wanna look good for when you get stabbed with a knife. Sorry, that's how it works.
Old 01-12-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Nighthawk
You start off at 15 reps for 1 or 2 sets 3 times/week. You increase the weight every single workout. Your goal is to use the same number of reps for two weeks and end up pretty close to failure on your last rep of your last workout for the two week period. At the beginning of the next two weeks, you drop your weight back down a little and start again at the slightly lower rep range. You usually have a two workout overlap with the reps you are currently working on and the reps for the previous two weeks. The 15 rep week is not intended to increase muscle size, it is intended to increase tendon and stabilizer strength. You do not want to work the muscle to failure every workout. If you work to failure on the same muscles 3 times a week you will injure yourself.
Two points. First, instead of increasing the weight every workout, you can repeat a weight, and increase the weight by double what you would normally increase it. This is handy if the particular exercise is of a low weight [like laterals]. Supposedly, a greater change in weight results in greater hypertrophy.

Second, use a slow rep cadence, especially on 15s, and lock out on exercises where appropriate to stress the joints. This will prepare your muscles and joints for the heavy loads later in the cycle. Do not go so slow that you won't be able to complete the set, however: this isn't Super Slow™ training.