Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Credit Card folks (rewards)

Old 01-11-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Credit Card folks (rewards)

I know this has been answered before, but I didn't see any threads in the first couple of pages when searching.

I'm looking for a new credit card. I'm mainly interested in the cash back, and Discover sucks since I spent about $20 on my card in 2004 and I'm still not getting a full 1% back. Any better cash back cards?
Old 01-11-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a card with Bank One that is 1% cash back. You do have to spend 2500 dollars before you get any money. I use it for all monthly charges. But if you are only spending 20 dollars a year not sure what the point would be.
Old 01-11-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ESUguy
...I spent about $20 on my card in 2004
Well, if the whole $20 is at a grocery store or gas station, the CitiDividend card that I have would give you 5% cash back... or... errr.... a dollar.
Old 01-11-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, guys. That was supposed to be $20,000. I just forgot a few zeros.
Old 01-11-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea I would look into a non Discover option Visa or MC or even AMEX.
Old 01-11-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, nobody's gonna give you much on that kind of spending. (EDIT; you got your last post in while I was typing)

I've gone with Citi MC lately because they have a 5% real cash back (send you a check for you to cash/deposit, no rewards tomfoolery) on grocery and gas purchases, and 1% on everything else. Since I use credit cards for all of my purchases (and pay the balance every month), this works for me. Every tank I fill up, and every penny spent in the grocery store gets me 5%.

The AT&T card does the same.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 01-11-05 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have an ATT card with citbank I should check to see if I have the option to get the 5%.
Old 01-11-05, 02:53 PM
Banned

Amex Blue Cash offers up to 5% cash back in some cases: http://www.americanexpress.com/blue/

I found the fine print for you. It's based on total spending for the year.
Up to $2000 = 0.5% on everyday, 0.25% on everything else
$2,001-$6,000 = 1% on everyday, 0.5% on everything else
$6,001 - $50,000 = 3% on everyday, 1.5% on everything else
Bonus % if you carry a balance for the month = 2% for everyday, 0.5% for everything else.

Everyday spending = supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores, and home improvement stores (not wholesale stores like Sam's Club though).

So the short of it is that if you spend more than $6k on the card a year, you'll get 3% back on food and gas and such, and 1.5% on the rest. If you carry a balance, up that to 5% and 2%.

Also says here max is $50k in spending.
Old 01-11-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I have an ATT card with citbank I should check to see if I have the option to get the 5%.
Definitely check. I didn't realize the AT&T card was Citibank too. That would make sense. I had both, an AT&T card, and a Citi card with no other affiliation, and both had the same offer.

One great benefit to the card is I find myself eating less junk fast food because I want to rack up more spending at the grocery store.
Old 01-11-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just so you know, Discover will be offering 5% throughout the year at various places. January and February it's health clubs and bookstores.
Old 01-11-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mutley Hyde
Definitely check. I didn't realize the AT&T card was Citibank too. That would make sense. I had both, an AT&T card, and a Citi card with no other affiliation, and both had the same offer.

One great benefit to the card is I find myself eating less junk fast food because I want to rack up more spending at the grocery store.

I just called them I need to switch the card to the Div card but I can keep the same number. More money for me.
Old 01-11-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AT&T and CitiBank are indeed the same. Their web sites are both clones of each other, and offer the same 3 business day holding period for electronic payments, at least the last time I looked. They process checks the same day received; electronic payments take a coupla days longer. Cute way to get more late fees.
Old 01-11-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll have a look at the citibank cards. Maybe I shouldn't throw away the app I get in the mail every stickin' week.

Not really interested in the Amex card as they aren't accepted everywhere. I like to use my card on everything for the month and just pay one bill.
Old 01-11-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

chase perfect card gives 1% on everything no minimum. 3% on gas and 6% on gas for first 90 days
Old 01-11-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
amazon visa
Old 01-11-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, nobody's gonna give you much on that kind of spending. (EDIT; you got your last post in while I was typing)

I've gone with Citi MC lately because they have a 5% real cash back (send you a check for you to cash/deposit, no rewards tomfoolery) on grocery and gas purchases, and 1% on everything else. Since I use credit cards for all of my purchases (and pay the balance every month), this works for me. Every tank I fill up, and every penny spent in the grocery store gets me 5%.

The AT&T card does the same.

I just got this card myself today, 5% back is fine with me. Not to mention I won't eat out as much so I can get more back.
Old 01-11-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not sure of cash back, but Citbank American Advantage cards are pretty sweet to me, you get a mile per dollar spent. Might be of interest if you like traveling etc.

Ended up getting two first class upgrades to the caribbean with the points my fiance and I had got.. that's like 80k points I believe.
Old 01-11-05, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Otto
I found the fine print for you. It's based on total spending for the year.
Up to $2000 = 0.5% on everyday, 0.25% on everything else
$2,001-$6,000 = 1% on everyday, 0.5% on everything else
$6,001 - $50,000 = 3% on everyday, 1.5% on everything else
Bonus % if you carry a balance for the month = 2% for everyday, 0.5% for everything else.
How much is considered a "balance"? If I pay all but .01 each month do you think I'd get the extra 2%?

BTW, check out cardoffers.com for a pretty comprehensive review of cards.
Old 01-11-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wizdar
AT&T and CitiBank are indeed the same. Their web sites are both clones of each other, and offer the same 3 business day holding period for electronic payments, at least the last time I looked. They process checks the same day received; electronic payments take a coupla days longer. Cute way to get more late fees.
Click–to–Pay® Program
Pay your credit card bill online—it's fast, flexible and free!
Enroll with your checking or savings account.
Online payment requests received by 1 p.m. ET on a bank business day will post that same day.
Go online each month before the due date and submit the payment form (it won't happen automatically).
Pay any amount between your minimum payment and balance due—but never more than that.
Make up to 4 online payments per billing cycle.

This is off the website. Looks like same date to me.
Old 01-11-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Online payment requests received by 1 p.m. ET on a bank business day will post that same day.
Go online each month before the due date and submit the payment form (it won't happen automatically).

Yep, that's what I was gonna point out. I don't know yet myself because this is actually my first cycle with the card. My due date is the 17th, and I get paid on the 15th, so I guess I'll let you guys know how it goes.

And I'm glad you can switch your account, BD.
Old 01-11-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flabio
How much is considered a "balance"? If I pay all but .01 each month do you think I'd get the extra 2%?
Yes you do, but if you don't pay your entire balance, then you start paying interest the day you make new purchases. You lose the 20-60 day grace period.
Old 01-11-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I stand corrected. However, t'was not always thus.

It's good to see the bastards have finally caught up with the 21st century.

Now, I'll just sit back and wait for the inevitable class action notice.
Old 01-12-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, that's what I was gonna point out. I don't know yet myself because this is actually my first cycle with the card. My due date is the 17th, and I get paid on the 15th, so I guess I'll let you guys know how it goes.

And I'm glad you can switch your account, BD.

Yep called with the wife she is the primary on the account the new card will be in the mail in a day. So far so good. If I were you I would try to change my due date that is cutting it a little close.
Old 01-12-05, 05:19 AM

I second the recommendation for cardoffers.com - I just went through this research last week and ended up getting the Citi MC Dividend. The Citi AT&T card is nearly identical - the only diff I could see is that the AT&T card is also a calling card.

We got the new card to replace our GM MC, which is pretty much inarguably the most generous reward card. If you're not committed to cash back and don't mind GM vehicles, you should look into it.
Old 01-12-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep called with the wife she is the primary on the account the new card will be in the mail in a day. So far so good. If I were you I would try to change my due date that is cutting it a little close.

Is your wife having a boy or a girl?

We get cashback from Discover, Geoffrey $$ from our ToysRUSVisa and also have that American Express Blue card. It has some sort of rewards but I haven't investigated what they are or how to collect them.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.