Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What exactly is a group interview???

Old 01-11-05, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got an email about a job interview I have in a couple weeks and it says its a group interview. Ive never heard of that so this question might sound dumb...What the hell is a group interview? Say there is 15 people interviewing for the job, does the guy say "Why do you want this job?" and just goes down the line and gets all our responses. Using what little common sense I have I would imagine group interview means 15 people all come there at 1 pm, then they take this guy give him a quick interview, then call in the next guy, then call in me, then the guy after me, etc etc. Am I right?
Old 01-11-05, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Group interview usually means multi-level marketing. You're already hired, just give them 300 bucks and they'll show you how to make millions selling and managing the sale of water filters. Good luck.
Old 01-11-05, 05:29 AM

I've had one group interview when I was a teenager at Macy's. It was about 20 people, and they asked generic type questions and you had to chime in - they didn't go down the line. It's been over 10yrs so I can't remember exactly what they asked. We had name tags and they were taking down notes. After about 20-30min it was over and were told some of us would be getting calls.

Being a shy guy at the time, I did absolutely horrible - in fact I don't think I said a word haha...but some people thrive is those types of interviews. Good luck..
Old 01-11-05, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
Group interview usually means multi-level marketing. You're already hired, just give them 300 bucks and they'll show you how to make millions selling and managing the sale of water filters. Good luck.
Its a ticket sales position for a minor league baseball team...so it is marketing, just not multi-level, pyramid scheme type of marketing
Old 01-11-05, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh - well it sounds like they're looking for outgoing people who stand out in a crowd... just be loud and flamboyant like The Edit King and you'll get the job for sure!
Old 01-11-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trigger
Ahh - well it sounds like they're looking for outgoing people who stand out in a crowd... just be loud and flamboyant like The Edit King and you'll get the job for sure!
And dress the part.... puffy pants and pointy shoes are a plus
Old 01-11-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know, I've had group interviews, where it simply means more then one person interviewing you at a time, so like a whole tech team or something, if you're hiring for a position within the team. That's what I would think, however it being in sales, maybe you're onto something with that whole mess of people interviewing at once deal.. Either way good luck.
Old 01-11-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's an N on 1, where a team is assembled to interview you (they may remain assembled to interview others after you). Rather than each person asking the same questions over and over in a serial interview, where you the candidate talk to several people one at a time, you are talking to them all at once, and they all hear each other's questions and your answers.

If you're interviewing for a job where you have to do well in groups, it's a reasonable interviewing style. I was an engineering manager. While I hoped my engineers would be outgoing and do well in groups, I did not find group interviews did as well in choosing the best engineer as serial interviews. Some candidates tended to be a little intimidated, and we seemed to choose the people best at babbling management buzz words, rather than the best engineers.
Old 01-11-05, 09:22 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I'm thinking group interview as in a group of people will interview you. I had 4 people team up once. They all had lists of these standard interview questions, and would take turns asking them. One of them slept through most of the interview, which made me feel great. I guess I would have gotten the job if I hadn't already accepted a different one by the time they got around to calling me back.
Old 01-11-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldDude
If you're interviewing for a job where you have to do well in groups, it's a reasonable interviewing style. I was an engineering manager. While I hoped my engineers would be outgoing and do well in groups, I did not find group interviews did as well in choosing the best engineer as serial interviews. Some candidates tended to be a little intimidated, and we seemed to choose the people best at babbling management buzz words, rather than the best engineers.
I was interviewed by the head of my department, the head of my program, the head of another program, the human resources manager, and a client. It was the worst interview of my life, but I didn't freak out and run away or anything, so I was asked for a follow-up. I learned later from my boss that this is a (dumb) human resources requirement, as my follow-up interview was a lot more casual and just involved the three other members of my team.
Old 01-11-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is just begging for a title change.
Old 01-11-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
It's basically like a gang bang... and you're the prize, lube well
Old 01-11-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

We have them here, when our team interviews a candidate. They want to make sure the person not only has the skills but also a personality we can all work with. So we, as a group, interview the person and then send our comments to management - who then reviews our comments and then decides to hire the person we all said we wanted the least..
Old 01-11-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Oraphus
It's basically like a gang bang... and you're the prize, lube well
That's probably the most accurate description yet.
Old 01-11-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dress up like the team mascot. Then shout, "Who wants this mother fucker more than me, huh?"

Pull a masturbating bear as a nice cap-off.
Old 01-11-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates group interviews. I had one last week. It was just 3 people, but it was just as bad as the one I had about 5 years ago with 7 people. They had this list of open ended questions they read like "What have you done to encourage diversity in the workplace?" I wanted to say, what the Hell does that have to do with the job?
Old 01-11-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Roto
They had this list of open ended questions they read like "What have you done to encourage diversity in the workplace?" I wanted to say, what the Hell does that have to do with the job?
"I try not t' pick on th' coloreds as much as I use t'." (teeth whistle)
Old 01-11-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

"What have you done to encourage diversity in the workplace?"

A: I listen to rap music, participate in Kwanzaa, and recently, I filled my bathtub with water and jumped in, holding my breath for several minutes, so I could identify with Tsunami victims.
Old 01-11-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm now selling powder and rock cocaine
Old 01-11-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another stupid one was "You are in a room with about 30 people and there is a problem you have to fix. What do you do?"

Could you be less specific please? Why even tell me 30 people, why not 3 to 300 people?
Old 01-11-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another stupid one was "You are in a room with about 30 people and there is a problem you have to fix. What do you do?"

Could you be less specific please? Why even tell me 30 people, why not 3 to 300 people?
"I'll assume that we're trapped in this room, and that the problem is that we can't get out and are running out of oxygen. Therefore, I would kill the other 29 people with my bare hands and await rescue."
Old 01-11-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I assume the other 29 people are complete idiots and I start figuring out a solution to the problem on my own.
Old 01-11-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

"You are in a room with about 30 people and there is a problem you have to fix. What do you do?"

I kill the other 29 people. Problem solved.
Old 01-11-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just in a group interview a few days ago...only 3 other applicants there though.