Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

electrical question

Old 01-11-05, 01:30 AM

electrical question

I've had luck before when I had questions about how to fix things on here, so hopefully someone will know how to do this. The switch on my Jiffy Steamer went out, and I want to rig it so that it is always on, so I don't have to bother ordering a new switch. I can order a new one but I want to fix it tomorrow if I can, from the looks of it inside when taking out the switch, it seems it should be able to rig it to be always on, and just have to plug/unplug it. Seems to me I just need to connect the 4 wires and close the loop in the right order to get it on. Is that right? Does anyone know which wires to connect to which in order to do this?

Here is some pictures of it you can see there are 4 wires:

Pictures

Here is a link to a pdf diagram of it...

diagram
Old 01-11-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is the switch just on and off or does it have a off, hi, low setting?

The black wire is coming from the plug? Where does it look like the white wire is going?
Old 01-11-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope you know how the wires were hooked up before.

See how the back of the switch is laid out as 3x2 matrix, even though only 4 of the 6 possible contact positions are there? The top row cener and right terminal are one circuit -- the two wires that were connected there need to be connected together. Similarly the bottom center and right terminal wires need to be connected together.

You don't want to cut the terminals off the wires (assuming you buy a new switch soon) so find some kind of a double spade terminal at hardwire store (you know, you might find some other kind of double pole, single throw switch there that would fit in the hole, and be rated for 120 vac.) Connect the wires and wrap in electrical tape as a temporary repair.

If you don't know how the wires were connected, my guess is that black and white are one switch circuit, orange and yellow the other. However, I am not sure I should play I bet your life with my guess.
Old 01-11-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

$9.00 & the manufacturer are your friend! Don't be cheap and not repair it correctly.

I read the pdf file that you linked of the parts list... you can buy an OEM switch from the manufacturer for only $9.00!!! 1-800-J2-Jiffy

I don't know if you wrote down the wiring connection pattern before unplugging. BTW: Here's your wiring diagram for the J2

Sonic
Old 01-11-05, 09:55 AM

I know, I wasn't so much trying to be cheap as I want to get it working tonight. I bought a new place AND started a new job this month, and all my clothes got dirty in the move, so I brought like 9 pairs of pants and a bunch of shirts to the dry cleaners, and it isn't done till Wed. I don't have an iron or board, just the steamer, so figured if it was easy I'd just rig it up and be done with it.

I am 90% sure that black and white were set up on the one set side, and then orange and yellow on the other. Guess I should have paid more attention. It was late and I was tired. So I would need to connect the orange and yellow, and then connect the black and white? What would happen if I'm wrong and I plug it in...do I risk wrecking the heating element or anything else in it? If so I will just borrow and iron and board and order the new switch :-) Probably order the new switch either way, just bugs me not to be able to rig it when I'm guessing if you knew the right wiring it would be easy..
Old 01-11-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, Sonicflood for the wiring diagram. My guess was correct. The black and white are one circuit and need to connect together. The orange and yellow are the other.

In the wiring diagram, the power cord has white, black, and green wires, but it looks like you have two black and a green.

If you do it wrong, you could burn it out, start a fire, or electrocute yourself. More likely, you'd just blow the circuit breaker. When you connect the wires together, be sure to wrap the metal contacts in electrical tape for insulation. When secured firmly to something, an open meta; contact (closed up inside a case) isn't dangerous, but bouncing around on the end of a loose wire, it could short to something.
Old 01-11-05, 11:14 AM

OLDDUDE what is the purpose of the 2 circuits? What does the orange and white circuit do, if the black wire is providing the power to the unit?
Old 01-11-05, 11:16 AM

Where the hell is my damn edit post button???

I meant what does the Orange and yellow circuit do?
Old 01-11-05, 11:21 AM

I am having furniture delivered so going home over lunch and will try this. Thanks for the help! If you don't hear back from me later this afternoon, assume I was electrocuted and go ahead and use this as proof that I have officially left my broken steamer to OldDude and AndreMike, who can fix it together and determine who gets to keep it...
Old 01-11-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
OLDDUDE what is the purpose of the 2 circuits? What does the orange and white circuit do, if the black wire is providing the power to the unit?
They have a switch contact in both sides of the ac feed. I don't know why, except it makes more of the insides "safe" even if it is plugged in, but turned off. Also, there is a 230 v version, and this might be required by European standards, and they want the design as common as possible, just change the water heater voltage, and power plug.

Given that, the way they wired it is weird and the orange wire is entirely wasted -- it just connects to the black wire later, but the black wire is long enough to reach the switch, just like the "white" wire from the cordset (which is really black too in his unit). From the switch outputs, the internal white and yellow wires simply feed the water heater and thermostat, which are connected in series by a blue wire.

Eliminating the orange wire, its contacts, and the labor to connect it could save $0.01-0.02. I would like a royalty for my cost reduction, $0.001 would be nice.

(All based on wiring diagram Sonicflood found. Otherwise, my response would have been "no clue.")

Last edited by OldDude; 01-11-05 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-11-05, 02:39 PM

Thanks guys! I wired it up over lunch and she works like a charm! So good I think I will be cheap and not waste my 9$ for the switch and 7$ for shipping....