Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Vacuum Sealers: What Do You Use? (I Need One)

Old 01-11-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Vacuum Sealers: What Do You Use? (I Need One)

I have been browsing amazon.com for a vacuum sealer. Prices range from $39.99 to $200.00+. Will I really take a step down in quality if I buy one for $50? Does it matter that it isn't a Foodsaver? (The only name I recognize). I would buy one for $50. If I have to pay 2-3x that....I can't justify that. (For now at least)

Rival VS110 $59.99

Tilia Foodsaver Vac 300 $59.99

Deni 1830S Freshlock Turbo II Vacuum Sealer $39.99

Deni 1630 Freshlock TurboSeal $49.99

I have 10-20lb of meat in my freezer at any given time. I am sick of double bagging the food, and that doesn't work great.

What does everyone use?

-pedagogue

ps. I can buy it elsewhere, amazon.com is just easy. COSTCO is also easy. (btw...feel free to change the links to be DVDTalk friendly)
Old 01-11-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have one but I wish I did. I have no clue which one is best so if you find a good one, post here and let me know.
Old 01-11-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My mother uses the Rival one and she seems to be happy with it. Everything in my parent's freezer is vacuum sealed. I think they got it at BJ's for around forty bucks.
Old 01-11-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The best? I don't know. We have had the Foodsaver for quite a few years. I have not complaints about it. I freeze peppers, onions, chilis, beans, zucchini from the garden. They last a year or two without frezer burn. The bags that they make for it work the best but I have had success sealing other plastic bags as well (warning: don't drop a 3lb bag of shelled walnuts that has been vacuum seeled on your foot.) The cannisters that you can get for them works great for coffee, brown sugar, rice, etc. But the wide mouth jar adapter is even better.
Old 01-11-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have one. I just use Glad freezer bags and squeeze out as much air as I can. Works fine.

In choosing, look at the cost of "consumables" the bags or rolls. I looked once and thought it was kind of expensive, but I forget which brand I looked at.
Old 01-11-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, look out for the cost of replacement bags......

You can figure about $25.00 for 20 bags of various sizes.
Old 01-11-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I ended up with the Foodsaver Vac 300

50% off at amazon: $59.99

If you spend $125 or more in the Kitchenwares and/or bath section you get $25 off. (Coupon on the home page of the kitchenwares section)

I heard pretty good things about this version, and overall the brand is solid.

-pedagogue