Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

anti-seatbelt "activist" killed in auto accident

Old 01-10-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

anti-seatbelt "activist" killed in auto accident

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/...9784029686.txt

I'm sorry to say this, but this is a woot for darwin. You have to be very stupid not to take advantage of a safety device while engaged in a dangerous activity.
Old 01-10-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate to hear about pepole lossing their lives . . . particularly needlessly . . . and I feel truely sorry for his family, etc.

That being said, I can only hope that somebody learns that sometimes people know what they are doing when they "restrict freedoms" like having to wear a seat belt. Some "freedoms" are just better off not being practiced.
Old 01-10-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Jim Fixx taught me all I need to know. Never jog.
Old 01-11-05, 12:55 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Jim Fixx taught me all I need to know. Never jog.
You're being facetious but Fixx probably lived an extra 10 years because of the jogging. He had a really bad family history of heart disease. Unfortunately for him, that extra 10 years added up to the total time in his life he spent jogging....
Old 01-11-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ha. Moron chose not to wear a seatbelt, and dies. Seems like he got his wish.
Old 01-11-05, 01:20 AM
X
Administrator

In a column written for the Daily Nebraskan in September, Derek attacked seat belt laws as intrusions on individual liberties and expensive to enforce.

"It is my choice what type of safety precautions I take," he wrote.
He did it the right way. He didn't become crippled and become a burden on the state.

Now as long as his parents don't sue Ford, the highway department, the university, the state, the driver, interstate 80...
Old 01-11-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hopefully if the parents decide to be as dumb as their offspring, the student's statement will be an automatic waiver to any kind of settlement.
Old 01-11-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ahh the irony.
Old 01-11-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
BAW HA HA HA HA. I haven't laughed so hard about the strange twist of faith and luck since Atkins.
Old 01-11-05, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks... irony is a harsh mistress (or whatever)... but perhaps this is the beginning of a new trend where aggressive republicans take themselves out of the voting pool through ironic twists of fate relating to their activism. Wouldn't that be something.
Old 01-11-05, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 01-11-05, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He was in the back seat.
Old 01-11-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trigger
That sucks... irony is a harsh mistress (or whatever)... but perhaps this is the beginning of a new trend where aggressive republicans take themselves out of the voting pool through ironic twists of fate relating to their activism. Wouldn't that be something.

Holy troll!

"He had a Republican focus on economic issues"
This makes him an aggressive Republican?

Old 01-11-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no - I extrapolated the aggressive part from the article and took liberties with the republican quote. If the article had mentioned that he was a liberal instead, someone would've made a similar post to the same effect about liberals taking themselves out darwin style - only it would've happened within the first 5 posts and instead of crying "troll" you would've posted the laughing your ass off smiley. sheesh - take a joke.

edit - it was just meant to be funny... I had been watching the daily show. With conservatives running all branches of the government as well as the media and whatever else, I just thought it would be a funny way to restore political balance. If the comment is too taboo for the forum, I'll be happy to remove it.

Last edited by Trigger; 01-11-05 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-11-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no problem Trigger - I just didn't see any funny in it the way you posted it. I find the irony in this story hilarious. I just had no idea where you were going with that post, based on the article.
Old 01-11-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, debate is fun. But safety isn't debatable. Buckle up.
His nonsensical position is simply inconsistent with the intelligence required to achieve a 4.0 GPA.
"He was a bright young boy, a 4.0," Paul Kieper said. "He loved to be silly. He loved to debate."
. . . In a column written for the Daily Nebraskan in September, Derek attacked seat belt laws as intrusions on individual liberties and expensive to enforce.

"It is my choice what type of safety precautions I take," he wrote.

"There seems to be a die-hard group of non-wearers out there who simply do not wish to buckle up no matter what the government does. I belong to this group."
Old 01-11-05, 07:46 AM
Admin-Thanos

Darwin at work.

In a related seatbelt story, this morning, while driving into work, a hillbilly in a beat up Ford pickup truck cut me off, but in doing so, he was able to see the cop car in the left lane about two cars ahead. He very quickly reached for the seatbelt and struggled to put it on. I bet that put a kink into his daily commute.
Old 01-11-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VinVega
Darwin at work.

"My work here is done."
Old 01-11-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My mother-in-law was exactly the same way about seatbelts, only she didn't wear them because se didn't want to get trapped in a car. Then she was in a bad wreck last year very similar to the one described in the article that she quite miraculously walked away from without much more than a few bruises. Now she wears her seatbelt.
Old 01-11-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If I understand the brief article, he was not debating if seat belts saved lives, just if the government has the right to force us to wear them.

I for one think the government does have the right AND responsibility, but I can understand the debate.
Old 01-11-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nevermind
Holy troll!

This makes him an aggressive Republican?

If you read the rest of the quote, you would see that the article called him "agressive" :

"He had a Republican focus on economic issues," she said. "He was aggressive. He was really intense.
Old 01-11-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When "keeping it real" goes wrong...
Old 01-11-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerory
If you read the rest of the quote, you would see that the article called him "agressive" :

I did read the rest.

I just didn't understand how having "a Republican focus on economic issues" made him an "aggressive republican taking himself out of the voting pool in an incident relating to his activism."

How does being anti-seat belt laws and having an agressive Republican focus on economic issues relate at all?

Whatever. Trigger said it was meant to be a joke - I didn't see the humor. It's done. No big deal.
Old 01-11-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nevermind
I did read the rest.

I just didn't understand how having "a Republican focus on economic issues" made him an "aggressive republican taking himself out of the voting pool in an incident relating to his activism."

How does being anti-seat belt laws and having an agressive Republican focus on economic issues relate at all?

Whatever. Trigger said it was meant to be a joke - I didn't see the humor. It's done. No big deal.
I was just pointing out that you were perhaps directing your misunderstanding towards the wrong person. I thought that maybe even Trigger forgot that it was the person quoted in the article who said "aggressive" - he didn't make it up or get it from the context; it was an exact quote. So, if you wanted to know why that made the guy "aggressive" - you should ask the opinion editor at the newspaper who said that.
Old 01-11-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with him. No one except children should be forced to buckle up. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it.

It's too bad he died, but he knew the risks and it was his choice.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.