Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Pink eye! Help!

Old 01-10-05, 01:21 PM

Pink eye! Help!

I woke up this morning with what I believe to be pink eye in my left eye. I have no health insurance so I am not going to a doctor. Normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I am leaving to go to Europe tomorrow, and this is really going to mess up my plans. Anyone know any fast ways to get rid of this?

Anyone ever use this?
Old 01-10-05, 01:24 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is Pink Eye and what causes it?

I've only heard about it in South Park.
Old 01-10-05, 01:26 PM
X
Administrator

I think it goes away on its own. However it is very contagious so try not to spread it and don't rub your eye.
Old 01-10-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's an infection in the eye - we were all blessed with it last December (2003). It takes about three days to get rid of it with a prescription so I don't know how long it will take using something from the store.

There are some natural remedies out there, too. You might try a google search for them and see what you come up with.

Oh yeah, wash your hands before you touch anyone or anything.
Old 01-10-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

in my experience, pink eye doesn't really do anything... makes your eye red and is contagious, but that;s about it
Old 01-10-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've had pink eye where it's constantly pumping out eye snot.
Old 01-10-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had it when I was in University. It's a pain in the rear end since your eyes itches and won't stop watering, plus you get stuck with all the crud on the side of your eyes.

My recommendation will be to go to see a doctor if you want to get rid of it as soon as possible especially since you are going away tomorrow.
Plus as X has indicated is very contagious so don't share towels with family members and don't rub your eye.
Old 01-10-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pink eye can be caused by a viral infection, a bacterial infection, or simply by irritation. I'm not a doctor, but I think the standard treatment is to give an antibiotic. That way, if it's bacterial, the antibiotic clears it up, if it's viral, the virus runs its course while you're taking the antibiotic, and if it's irritation, then the irritation runs its course during that time.

Viral or bacterial pinkeye is easily transmitted, so wash your hands a lot. Tons. And wish your linens, towels, etc. a lot, too.
Old 01-10-05, 01:39 PM

Wow, 7 page views and 6 replies. I love you guys!
Old 01-10-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Neuman
Wow, 7 page views and 6 replies. I love you guys!
Alright. Who's the jerk who viewed this page without replying? It's people like you who ruin it for the rest of us ...
Old 01-10-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Neuman
I woke up this morning with what I believe to be pink eye in my left eye. I have no health insurance so I am not going to a doctor. Normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I am leaving to go to Europe tomorrow, and this is really going to mess up my plans. Anyone know any fast ways to get rid of this?

Anyone ever use this?
Have someone punch you in the eye and make it black instead of pink
Old 01-10-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Alright. Who's the jerk who viewed this page without replying? It's people like you who ruin it for the rest of us ...

I had nothing new to add.
Old 01-10-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by talemyn

I had nothing new to add.
Please. This is the Otter Farm. When has that ever stopped anyone?
Old 01-10-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Please. This is the Otter Farm. When has that ever stopped anyone?
Well, I was busy adding nothing new to other threads.
Old 01-10-05, 02:32 PM
Admin-Thanos

I have had pink eye twice in my life and it sucked both times. You need a perscription (eye drops) to get rid of it from my experience. To simply soothe your hurting eye or eyes, lie down, use a warm, damp wash cloth. That will ease the pain a bit, but it won't get rid of the infection, or the tearing. As mentioned, pink eye is HIGHLY contagious, so don't touch anyone or anything you don't want to get pink eye. If you have any enemies, shake their hands a lot!
Old 01-10-05, 02:36 PM
Banned

My brother once had pink eye gunk so bad that it sealed one of his eyes shut. Had to scrape the crap off to be able to open it in the morning.

I appear to be immune to it. My whole family had it a couple of times when I was a kid, but I never caught it.

It'll probably only last 2 or 3 days, if it lasts longer then go to a doctor. All those drugs and stuff do is to treat the symptoms. Your body will fight it off naturally.
Old 01-10-05, 02:44 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Otto
My brother once had pink eye gunk so bad that it sealed one of his eyes shut. Had to scrape the crap off to be able to open it in the morning.

I appear to be immune to it. My whole family had it a couple of times when I was a kid, but I never caught it.

It'll probably only last 2 or 3 days, if it lasts longer then go to a doctor. All those drugs and stuff do is to treat the symptoms. Your body will fight it off naturally.
That is not true from my experience. I had pink eye the first time for a week before I sought treatment. After treating with anti infection drops, it cleared up in 3 days. 2nd time, I knew the symptoms, and sought treatment immediately. Took drops immediately, and it was gone in 3 days. It won't go away without treating it.
Old 01-10-05, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VinVega
That is not true from my experience. I had pink eye the first time for a week before I sought treatment. After treating with anti infection drops, it cleared up in 3 days. 2nd time, I knew the symptoms, and sought treatment immediately. Took drops immediately, and it was gone in 3 days. It won't go away without treating it.
There are severe forms of course, which is why I said to go to a doctor after 2-3 days. However, the most common form is relatively minor and goes away on its own. Usually when it's severe, it's pretty blatently obvious. Pain and such. If it hurts, go to a doctor. Normally it doesn't hurt all that much.

And there's a lot of possible causes. Could be bacterial (which means you get drops probably), could be allergic (shot and maybe some other drugs), or viral (not a whole hell of a lot they can do then). The minor bacterial forms can be fought off easily, the tougher ones need antibacterial drops to get rid of them.

Last edited by Otto; 01-10-05 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My son had this last week. Using the drops from the doctor, it started to clear up (visibly) almost right away and was completely gone in 48 hours.
If you're going out of town, I'd just pay to go to a redicare clinic and get a prescription.

Stew
Old 01-10-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Man, you got the "Eye Clap".

Get well soon.
Old 01-10-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI, I had a really red eye a few weeks ago and tried several kinds of "red eye" drops... they made my eyes burn even WORSE and they got progressively worse.

Finally I just flushed my eyes with water a couple times a day and it went away in two days and the burning stopped almost immediately. My eyes are apparently pretty sensitive and can't handle the chemicals in these drops. I figured this as only one eye was irriated until I decided to put drops in both eyes, just to be safe. Both eyes started burning and getting red after that.

That was when I was on the road and taking what was given to me first, then went out and bought some more that was suggested and had the same effect.

At home, I have the Similasan stuff. All natural, no chemicals... and it works wonders any time my eyes are tired. The kind I have is their #3, not for red eye, but for irrated/dry/tired eyes. I think it's called "computer eyes" and I haven't found it in stores, only online. They have the other kinds in stores though. It never irritates my eyes and is great relief, so I think it would be an excellent choice.
Old 01-10-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I fear the inevitable title change.