Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Do you carry business cards?

Old 01-10-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you carry business cards?

I have a box of about 1,000 cards and I think I go through a box about once a year.

I've been 'promoted' since my last batch of cards, but I doubt I'll get my new title on cards until my next batch.
Old 01-10-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm getting my first business cards this week (hopefully today). 1,000 cards should last me about 8 years...

The only contact info I put on them was a cell and email, so info should remain valid unless I move out of state for some reason.
Old 01-10-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I carry them. I carry about 5 in my wallet, and about 5 in my badge/keycard/neck-thing. I'll carry more if I'm going to a class or conference or something where I might be expected to hand them out. I was glad I had them in my badge thing, my badge came off when I went to lunch a couple weeks ago, and before I got back to the office, someone had delivered it to the office thanks to my card [with the office address] being in there.
My work email address has changed about three times, and my title has changed two or three times as well. My current batch has been up-to-date for about 1.5 years now though.
And carrying a few in your wallet is essential for those 'Win a Free Lunch' things. [Although--keep an eye out--there's a new one where it's 'Win a Free Lunch for ten of your coworkers", and the thing is, they sit you all down for a sales pitch and probably bring you sandwiches or something.]
Old 01-10-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah I got a box of 1,000 printed last year. I usually have a couple in my wallet available to hand out.
Mine also just have my cell # and email addy. Problem was that after I got them printed I noticed that one letter in my email address looks like a number instead. Gotta get through the box before I get new ones printed. Should take a few years.
Old 01-10-05, 11:06 AM

Not anymore. They're not very necessary with the job I have now, and that's OK by me.
Old 01-10-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

I keep them in the car. Designed them myself and they amuse me. I may have sent a few out to some losers here. Moorehed might even have one
Old 01-10-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I carry a few, but don't go through them very often as most of my interaction with clients is over the phone. I just recently had some non work-related cards made as well with contact info, as I'm finding out how handy they can be as opposed to searching for a piece of paper when you need it.
Old 01-10-05, 11:16 AM
Banned

I got a small box of business cards from my old job, approximately a month before they fired me. I made them into some really neat sculptures.

Cardigami: The art of folding business cards. No adhesive, no cutting of any cards, just folded cards.

I have some other sculptures as well, but lack pics of them online. I will obtain and post some later.
Old 01-10-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dtcarson
And carrying a few in your wallet is essential for those 'Win a Free Lunch' things.
I was almost gonna mention the "contest" things that are occasionally around.

My local liquor store had one prior to Christmas where you drop your card to win a free grill they had on display. They never called me so I guess I didn't win.
Old 01-10-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I carry some cards with me but they aren't really for a business. I just use them to give people my website & blog addresses. My buddies give me a lot of crap for having them but it beats writing all that stuff down over and over again.
Old 01-10-05, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I keep some in my wallet. Won a free (no strings attached) Burrito Beach taco bar lunch for 15 people. They came to the office and set up everything, left some catering menus, and left.

Co-worker won 10 free Chipotle burritos. Another co-worker won 10 free Mangino's subs (but we had to sit through 15 minutes of young Amex financial planner guy's speil).
Old 01-10-05, 11:49 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I keep them in my wallet. If you go to lunch at Fogo de Chau here in Atlanta and drop your business card in the jar you automatically get a gift card for another free lunch there. Since it's $26 for lunch, it's worth it. I've gone 3 times, and the last 2 times have been free and I have a gift card in my wallet right now.
Old 01-10-05, 11:53 AM

I work for a company in a constant state of reorganization. I have literally hundreds of out-dated cards. Love the ideas for card sculptures!
Old 01-10-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I keep some cards in my wallet. In the 20 years I've been working I have never had to do a reorder. It's not that I change companies/jobs (4 companies in 20 years) a lot or get promoted. It just seems that 1000 would last quite a few years for me. I guess I don't have that much client interaction where I would need to hand a card out.
Old 01-10-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not anymore.

Though I want to get some new ones printed up, since I plan on doing some work on the side (IT and psych). It is an easy way to get my info out and not have to write it down. I'm going to get a small batch because I'll need to reprint next year when I have my MS.

-pedagogue
Old 01-10-05, 12:34 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I carry them around, they more for entering competitions than anything. I've never ran out of them and probably never will.
Old 01-10-05, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by satellite
I work for a company in a constant state of reorganization. I have literally hundreds of out-dated cards. Love the ideas for card sculptures!
The ones I made are all pretty simple. The basic structure is the cube. The cube is made from 6 cards. Instructions on making a cube are here: http://www.nedbatchelder.com/text/cardcube.html

The important thing to note is that when you're finished, all the "tabs" face the outside of the cube. This is how you interlock cubes, by sticking the tabs into other tab's sides. Then you can build up massively complicated structures. After your sculpture is complete, you use extra folded cards (called panels) to cover all the exposed faces and make it look smooth and nice. This also makes the whole thing very rigid and surprisingly strong.

This crazy man (http://world.std.com/~j9/sponge/) built a level 2 Menger's Sponge out of these things. I built a level 1 like this (basically one of the corners of the level 2 sponge), but building a level 2 would take one hell of a lot of cards.

Level 2 Menger's Sponge:

One you feel that you've gone beyond the limitations of cubism, there's more complicated ways to go: http://home.tiscali.nl/gerard.paula/...rcampbell.html

Last edited by Otto; 01-10-05 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting info about the size/weight of such a cube:

http://world.std.com/~j9/sponge/structure.html

-pedagogue
Old 01-10-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dtcarson
And carrying a few in your wallet is essential for those 'Win a Free Lunch' things.
Yeah, considering the cost of my cards (they're going to be pretty fancy) I don't see myself dropping them in the "free lunch" giveaways.

Maybe I'll print some cheapo ones myself to drop in those.
Old 01-10-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Otto
The ones I made are all pretty simple. The basic structure is the cube. The cube is made from 6 cards. Instructions on making a cube are here: http://www.nedbatchelder.com/text/cardcube.html

The important thing to note is that when you're finished, all the "tabs" face the outside of the cube. This is how you interlock cubes, by sticking the tabs into other tab's sides. Then you can build up massively complicated structures. After your sculpture is complete, you use extra folded cards (called panels) to cover all the exposed faces and make it look smooth and nice. This also makes the whole thing very rigid and surprisingly strong.

This crazy man (http://world.std.com/~j9/sponge/) built a level 2 Menger's Sponge out of these things. I built a level 1 like this (basically one of the corners of the level 2 sponge), but building a level 2 would take one hell of a lot of cards.

Level 2 Menger's Sponge:

One you feel that you've gone beyond the limitations of cubism, there's more complicated ways to go: http://home.tiscali.nl/gerard.paula/...rcampbell.html
It looks like SOMEONE has been slacking off on company time!
Old 01-10-05, 02:52 PM

I have cards that I carry around in a separate leather wallet. Unfortunately, most of the time that I need to hand them out, I've left the wallet sitting at home on the dresser.
Old 01-10-05, 03:07 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Nope. We've been waiting for them for almost a year.
Old 01-10-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in murders and executions.

Serious answer: I give out maybe 20/year. Might be a while before I go through my stack, which I think started at 500.
Old 01-10-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope.
Old 01-10-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have boxes of them but I'm too lazy to carry them.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.