Reload this Page >

I would like to learn german.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-09-05, 10:47 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be the best way to learn how to speak german? I just turned 17 and i asked my mother to get me the Pimsleur german I, II, and III for my birthday. The pimsleur german I that i'm on is pretty good, i have had a lot of success with it so far, but im not sure this is going to cut it. I really want to be fluent in German, so anyone else know what other things i can get?
Old 01-09-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[obvious]

"I know a little German. He's sitting right over there."

[/obvious]

Can't help you but good luck. I speak Spanish reasonably well and have considered trying to pick up some German as well but lack of free time gets in the way of such dreams.
Old 01-09-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

go to germany
Old 01-09-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Listen to Rammstein.
Old 01-09-05, 10:59 PM
Suspended

I do listen to rammstien that is one of my favorite bands.. Ohne dich
Old 01-09-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by costanza
go to germany
Best advice -- and, in all honesty, depending on how fluent you want to become, you really need to take German at the college level for 4 years speaking everyday.

Your once a week class or tapes that you'll listen to won't get you anywhere. I mean, you might be able to pick up a few words here and there, and be able to put together basic sentences, but to be fluent in it -- read, write, and speak, you'll need to take it at a much higher level.
Old 01-09-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, and while obviously not as good as going to Germany, buy some DVDs.

(Well, what else sort of advice would you expect from a DVD forum).

In all honesty, they're probably one of the better ways (IMO) that you can assist learning a foreign language. Find several DVDs you enjoy that have German foreign language tracks and watch and rewatch. Das Boot is a good example (and a fine film). While it won't be perfect, it will help establish a vocabulary that isn't available on the foreign language tapes. Just have a German-English dictionary next to you when you're watching it.

You can also turn the English subtitles on if you need help (although, sometimes, due to the language translation service on the DVD it might not be totally advisable - sometimes they shortcut the subs).

It will give you an idea of the language in everyday context and you'll be able to develop a feel for word pronunciation (such as pin/pen/pan - which can sound very similar depending on the speaker)
Old 01-09-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took two years of German back in high school (over 10 years ago) and I still remember quite a bit of it. It was pretty easy to learn and I had a good teacher. I would suggest that you get some tapes or CDs to listen to in the car; that's what helped me the most.
Old 01-09-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fhurlein das slingen hu daswitch venderlein kommershin schlacken DVDtalken !!

translation anyone ?
Old 01-09-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Die Sauerkraut ist in mein Lederhosen.

I picked up some German while I was teaching a course in black history at the University of Blaupunkt.
Old 01-09-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Phrases you must learn:
Wir zuechten Kuehe fuer unsere eigene Gebrauch.
Spoiler:
We raise cows for our own use.

Wir machen unsere eigene Wurst.
Spoiler:
We make our own sausage.

Last edited by FinkPish; 01-10-05 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-09-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JustinS
Die Sauerkraut ist in mein Lederhosen.
I like sauerkraut on my hotdogs too
Old 01-09-05, 11:44 PM
Suspended

thanks for Hijacking my thread bastards.
Old 01-09-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Kann ich bitte ihre Papiere sehen?
Old 01-10-05, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Best advice -- and, in all honesty, depending on how fluent you want to become, you really need to take German at the college level for 4 years speaking everyday.

Your once a week class or tapes that you'll listen to won't get you anywhere. I mean, you might be able to pick up a few words here and there, and be able to put together basic sentences, but to be fluent in it -- read, write, and speak, you'll need to take it at a much higher level.
i'm number one!!
i'm #1!!!!!!111!!1!1!!!
Old 01-10-05, 01:29 AM
Banned

Ist deine tochter achtzehn bitte?

German is really easy to learn. I took it for one semester and still remember pretty much all of it since high school.
Old 01-10-05, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hat dieses DVD ein kapitelliste, bitte?

Best place to learn german is, indeed, germany. It'll be hard to really be fluent unless you're immersed in it, which is hard in the states. My younger brother is fluent in Spanish, not from books or tapes, but from playing soccer with all the mexicans...
Old 01-10-05, 02:52 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Another vote for living in a German speaking country. Although according to the average German it would be sacrireligious to learn German in Austria or Switzerland.

My wife is German and I've lived in Germany and taught English to Germans which in some weird sort of way ended up in me learning more German than they probably did English. It's a 'no-no' to speak German to the natives. It's largely accepted to only speak English in classes but without a knowledge of any German you lose all sorts of respect from the students.

I became pretty fluent in Spanish with immigrant Mexicans but I realize that not until I was entirely immersed in the language would I become to the point where I would permanently retain it.

You're not going to learn German in the US......
Old 01-10-05, 03:55 AM
Suspended

You know the thought has crossed my mind about moving to Germany. It's almost time, for me to get a life of my own, and i really have no idea what i want to do with my life yet. I would love to move to Germany, but i would have no idea how to go about this? Anyone have any advice for this? I really want to look into it.
Old 01-10-05, 04:18 AM

If you are interested in learning German in Germany, I would highly recommend the Goethe Institute, http://www.goethe.de

They have 16 institutes across Germany (141 worldwide) in different cities (small cities, university cities, big cities, you name it).

I spent 3 months in Schwaebisch Hall at the Goethe Institute there almost three years ago, and absolutely loved it. That, and there is nothing that compares to truly immersing yourself in the culture while learning the language.
Old 01-10-05, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by zidane349
thanks for Hijacking my thread bastards.

stop being such a nazi with your thread.
Old 01-10-05, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by zidane349
You know the thought has crossed my mind about moving to Germany. It's almost time, for me to get a life of my own, and i really have no idea what i want to do with my life yet. I would love to move to Germany, but i would have no idea how to go about this? Anyone have any advice for this? I really want to look into it.
You're 17. How about planning to study abroad when college time rolls around? That would be one way to earn credits and also be directly in the middle.
Old 01-10-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc

Couple this with living in Germany after the initial period and it will make a difference. However it doesn't take 4 years. If somewhere is using the Rassias method, you could theoretically become fluent (albeit not at a German college level.. but enough for you to get around and build your vocabulary) in under a year. Some places offer intensive study (triple class in a term) where you can take just the language and get to the point you are ready to go over in about 3 months, but that means about 6 hours a day of classes then you still have at least 2-3 hours of self study and practicing.

Here is the catch.. once you get fluent, you need to keep using the language.. if you don't, you get rusty quickly.
Old 01-10-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
I was one of the people who learned to speak die Deutsche Sprache on site, as it were. I picked it up in the bars and bedrooms of Berlin as a young soldier well enough to breeze through German I and II. My ex-wife went to the Hartknackschule in Berlin and took a six month immersive course. Out of 12 students in her group only she and a Canadian woman were english speakers, the rest were spanish, arabic, chinese, senegalese etc. and she picked it up well enough to get a job as a bank teller. Since you are so young, I heartily agree with the others that you get your ducks in a row and go there. You will learn and do and see so much more than just a language. BTW, for those of you who have rusting german and want to keep it alive, most college towns have a local Stammtisch sponsored by the german language faculty. This is a program where a couple of them and a small variety of regulars meet weekly at a predetermined place (restaurant or bar) for a few hours of conversation. It has helped me, though they tend to laugh at my Berlinner accent.
Old 01-10-05, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You're 17. How about planning to study abroad when college time rolls around? That would be one way to earn credits and also be directly in the middle.

This is exactly what i would like to do. Do you know of any colleges in Berlin that accept American students?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.