Reload this Page >

Healthy Fast Food restaurant ?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-08-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bit of a paradox, but... i suppose if done right it 'could' be possible. From a business standpoint it is probably just too risky for any company to try it-

I certainly think theres enough of a niche market for healthy, clean, allorganic food, but i dont know really - Are there any? Not really.

Burger King, McDs, FatBurger, T Bell, KFC, Churches Chicken, Wendys, pizza hut, dominos, and the rest are all sending this country to its grave one meal at a time. If left unchecked OBESITY will overtake smoking as the number one cause of preventable death. Read that last line again.

Just pause for a second to think about how unbelieveable that is-

I know not everyone goes there, im just talking about the statistics and the averages- Eating healthy is very difficult and challenging, and its just made worse when your driving down the street and youve got virtually no choices for a healthy meal (except to go home).

Old 01-08-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sadly-if people wanted to eat healthier meals they would sell them. When the joints offer the healthier stuff it's often no purchased. Some blame higher price-but lower volume is part of that.

On the way home from vacation we had to hit some fast food. Went to Burger King and the BK Veggie Burger wasn't even on the menu. So we asked and sure enough, they did have it.
Old 01-08-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Yeah, a lot of the grocery stores around here used to have salad bars in the delis, really really nice ones where you could have your pick of every kind of veggie you could think of, but not anymore. Most of them have disappeared.

Don't know of any fast food restaurants that would fit what you're thinking, but there are enough grocery stores like Whole Foods (mostly healthy, organic, etc) that have a lot of grab-and-go stuff, organic included.
Old 01-08-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's funny that Jack-in-the-box now includes an applesauce cup in their kids' meal along with the french fries and chicken nuggets.
Old 01-08-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of the places are offering apple sauce, apple bits, and a few other options for the kids. Which we take advantage of when we have to hit the places.
Old 01-08-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Umm . . . isn't Subway going after this?

(I know not everything on their menu is healthy)
Old 01-08-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the major obstacle is cost. It costs more to serve fresh food, which is often healthier food.
Old 01-08-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Subway, Panera Bread Company, other 'deli' sort of places have healthy options.

I just saw a commercial about a Wendy's deal where you can order whatever "side" you want with your meal - salad, potato, chili, etc. That's not bad if you get the grilled chicken sandwich and a salad.
Old 01-08-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But Subway is more money and they don't have a drive-thru.
Old 01-09-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
But Subway is more money and they don't have a drive-thru.
I think some Subways do have drive-thrus. Ours does.
Old 01-09-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know of no single Subway in my area (and I can picture about 15 of them in my head) that has a drive-thru. I know they do exist since there was on in Lethal Weapon 2.

I concur with what was previously stated. If there was money to be made in it, more places would do it. That being said, there is increasing amounts of attention on the national obesity epidemic at the moment and some fast food joints are responding to it in small ways. Wendy's recent announcement about optional choices for combos is but one example of several.

I'm surprised that more fast food joints haven't tried to cash in on the low-carb craze. Hardee's and Subway are the only two major ones I have even seen try. You would think that Taco Bell would give it a whirl by offering low-carb tortilla items but they haven't.

Shoppingbear, every decent-sized grocery store in my area has a salad bar.
Old 01-09-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We had a stand-alone Subway with a drive through but they moved across to the strip mall.

Of the fifty in my general area none of them have drive through.
Old 01-09-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A few Subways in Tennessee have drive throughs.
Old 01-09-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JustinS
I know of no single Subway in my area (and I can picture about 15 of them in my head) that has a drive-thru. I know they do exist since there was on in Lethal Weapon 2.

I concur with what was previously stated. If there was money to be made in it, more places would do it. That being said, there is increasing amounts of attention on the national obesity epidemic at the moment and some fast food joints are responding to it in small ways. Wendy's recent announcement about optional choices for combos is but one example of several.

I'm surprised that more fast food joints haven't tried to cash in on the low-carb craze. Hardee's and Subway are the only two major ones I have even seen try. You would think that Taco Bell would give it a whirl by offering low-carb tortilla items but they haven't.

Shoppingbear, every decent-sized grocery store in my area has a salad bar.

The low carb craze is actually on its way out , or at least fizzling out. (thank god). first there was the low fat craze a few years ago, then the atkins craze, then the low-carb craze, instead people need to realize it has more to do with shoveling 5000 calories into your face per day, than whats low carb or not. If you just look at the food portions that are being served now, its no wonder. ( watch the movie supersize me youll see exactly what i mean). The small now, is just - huge. The large size is ginormous- Have you seen the supersize coke, its like chuggin on a 2 liter. It doesnt even fit in your freaking cup holder !
Old 01-09-05, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the biggest barrier to setting up a profitable healthy fast food chain would be the distribution of your menu. Most of the chains have regional setups that ship to all the stores and they can do this because of preservatives in all the crap. You just can't do that with most healthy foods. It would spoil so fast.

The closest you're going to get is the salads, subs and wraps of the world. We do have this nice pita place here in town that makes kickass pitas but they're really not doing too well from what I can see.
Old 01-09-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The closest thing we have to fast food that's REAL health food is probably something like the North Star Cafe in the short north on High St. They take your order at the counter and then you have a seat and they bring it to you just a few minutes later. They use all organic ingredients and serve healthy food that is actually delicious. Fresh squeezed fruit juices, meat loafs, black bean burgers, sweet potato hash, pancakes, salads and many other dishes. The place is doing incredible business too. We were way overdue for a place like this and the response they've received is proving it. Wish there was more like it.
Old 01-09-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I too wish for healthier options at fast food for times when i'm real busy... but I get really tired of people blaming the resturants for America's obesity... as others have said, their just serving what the people want/buy. If someone is constantly shoving it in their mouth then it's their fault their obese ! Quit trying to sue McD's or whoever !
Old 01-09-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

where i work we have a bunch of places where you can get healthy food like salads to order

www.10qcafe.com
Old 01-09-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by skiblet
The low carb craze is actually on its way out , or at least fizzling out. (thank god). first there was the low fat craze a few years ago, then the atkins craze, then the low-carb craze,
The low-fat craze never died out, it just re-adjusted itself to a more reasonable level of fervor. Likewise, I doubt seriously that the low-carb craze will die out either.

instead people need to realize it has more to do with shoveling 5000 calories into your face per day, than whats low carb or not.
The whole point of selective eating, beit low-fat or low-carb, is by making the dieter be very selective on what they eat and when, which results in an overall greatly reduced caloric intake. The fact that, for many people, the general low-carb diet allows them to eat many more things that they want to eat (within reasonable limits) and still lose weight is why it is popular and, I suspect, will continue to be popular.

People that go low-carb and shovel in 3 servings of bacon and eggs are not going to lose much, if any, weight. They will either get their shit together or they will quit the diet (no doubt like the many before they tried) and go back to their slovenly lifestyle.

Last edited by jfoobar; 01-09-05 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-09-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by greg9x
I too wish for healthier options at fast food for times when i'm real busy... but I get really tired of people blaming the resturants for America's obesity... as others have said, their just serving what the people want/buy. If someone is constantly shoving it in their mouth then it's their fault their obese ! Quit trying to sue McD's or whoever !
To entire dismiss the fast food industry from blame is fallacious. I do not, for a minute, think that McDonalds (for example) should be legally culpable, but when you run a restaurant chain that is both ubiquitous and spends hundreds of millions each year on marketing, including marketing that directly targets children, you have an ethical responsibility to offer more healthy choices.
Old 01-09-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by woofman
The closest thing we have to fast food that's REAL health food is probably something like the North Star Cafe in the short north on High St. They take your order at the counter and then you have a seat and they bring it to you just a few minutes later. They use all organic ingredients and serve healthy food that is actually delicious. Fresh squeezed fruit juices, meat loafs, black bean burgers, sweet potato hash, pancakes, salads and many other dishes. The place is doing incredible business too. We were way overdue for a place like this and the response they've received is proving it. Wish there was more like it.

I'll have to check that out next time I'm in the area.

Whenever I visit LA I eat at a place called A Votre Sante as much as possible. They have a few locations and the best pancakes I've ever had.

Saw Drew Barrymore and Luke Wilson there at Sunday brunch a few years back. I didn't know who Wilson was at the time.
Old 01-09-05, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
On the way home from vacation we had to hit some fast food. Went to Burger King and the BK Veggie Burger wasn't even on the menu. So we asked and sure enough, they did have it.
Yup, and when I order it, I wait 20 minutes for it to be made special. One time I even heard the girl making the food ask the manager where they are kept (she could have been new I guess).

Subway has the whole healthy thing going. Jason's Deli also has a selection of "grass sandwiches" as my co-workers call them. Smoothie places try, but they have too much sugar to make a real claim.

The other day I went to Applebee's (where they have nutrition information on the menu) and noticed that the Veggie Burger is 800 calories without fries, and was the lowest calorie entree on the menu. When eating out, they just want your food to taste good so you come back. Fattier foods usually taste better.
Old 01-09-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I saw a Subway in Oregon with a drive thru.
Old 01-09-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinS
To entire dismiss the fast food industry from blame is fallacious. I do not, for a minute, think that McDonalds (for example) should be legally culpable, but when you run a restaurant chain that is both ubiquitous and spends hundreds of millions each year on marketing, including marketing that directly targets children, you have an ethical responsibility to offer more healthy choices.
I disagree. McDonald's is providing a service that people are choosing to partake in.

I don't buy into the whole "marketing" aspect because ultimately people have choices and many choose to eat at McDonald's. I can't blame a company for taking advantage of that.

I also don't blame tobacco companies for smokers' addictions.
Old 01-09-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
I disagree. McDonald's is providing a service that people are choosing to partake in.

I don't buy into the whole "marketing" aspect because ultimately people have choices and many choose to eat at McDonald's. I can't blame a company for taking advantage of that.

I also don't blame tobacco companies for smokers' addictions.
Agree on fast foods. Disagree on tobacco companies. I doubt I have to explain further.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.