Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Police beat a 85 year old man.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-08-05, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am stunned and bewildered. They have to fire this police officer and prosecute him. How much force is needed to take down a 85 year old man??

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/07/for....ap/index.html

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (AP) -- Police said they are investigating an incident in which an officer pepper-sprayed an 85-year-old man during a traffic stop.

Leon Nins said officer Michael Lee also beat him after he took too long to stop his car. Police deny that and say Nins attacked Lee.

Leaders of St. Paul's NAACP chapter and St. Paul African American Leadership Council alleged that race was a factor. Nins is black.

Nins said at a news conference Thursday that he was bringing sandwiches and cupcakes to his wife during his daily visit to her nursing home December 27 when Lee tried to pull him over for having expired license tags.

Nins, a World War II veteran who stands about 5-feet-7 and weighs 145 pounds, claims Lee was angry that he didn't stop his car right away.

"I told him, 'If I'd have seen you, I would have stopped,"' Nins said earlier. "He got really mad about that. He told me to get in his car, and he started beating me on the leg and on the side of the arm. He pushed me down on the floor, and he was slamming the door on my legs."

Nins was arrested and jailed for two days. The Ramsey County Attorney's Office declined to charge him with a felony, but prosecutors still could bring a lesser charge.

Nins said he went to a hospital for treatment after his release.

Police reports said Nins did not stop for nearly a half mile after Lee began trying to pull him over.

St. Paul police Chief John Harrington confirmed that Lee used pepper spray to subdue Nins, but only after Nins refused to produce identification and began flailing at the officer.

"I do not believe (Lee) was acting with excessive force and I don't have any intention of suspending him or moving him to any administrative assignment at this time," Harrington said.

Groups who claim that race played a role cited a 2001 shooting in which Lee was cleared of wrongdoing. Charles Craighead had taken a gun from a man trying to carjack him. Lee mistook Craighead, who was black, for the carjacker, and shot him to death.
Old 01-08-05, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Driving While Black.
Thats a beatable offense 85 years old or not.
Old 01-08-05, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
Police reports said Nins did not stop for nearly a half mile after Lee began trying to pull him over.
He also had his blinker on the whole time.
Old 01-08-05, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The old geezer thought he had the same spunk during the 60's...but was soon to be awakened by pepper spray and a few whacks on the leg. I'm sure both parties are to blame.
Old 01-08-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate shit like this. Not the article, but when people post stories like this and don't even use the correct verbiage. They ALLEGEDLY beat him.
Old 01-08-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
The old geezer thought he had the same spunk during the 60's...but was soon to be awakened by pepper spray and a few whacks on the leg. I'm sure both parties are to blame.
I have to agree. There is always more to stories like this. In the very RARE occasion that a cop (or anyone for that matter) just goes nuts for no reason it usually ends worse.
Old 01-08-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Young niggah, old niggah saaaame thing. Maybe he(Old Boseefus) didn't do anything that night, but I'm sure he did something in his 85 years of life to deserve an alleged asswhuppin' and pepper spray facial.

You guys have no idea how hard cops have it these days....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-08-05 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-08-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He told me to get in his car, and he started beating me on the leg and on the side of the arm. He pushed me down on the floor, and he was slamming the door on my legs.
The cop's version: "He was being belligerent at the stop, so I placed him under arrest. He wouldn't get in the patrol car after I told him to, so I was wrestling with him to get him in the back seat. When I thought he was finally in, I tried to close the door, but he quickly tried to jump back out and was injured by the door in the process. To avoid further injury, I pepper-sprayed him, after which he was compliant."
Old 01-08-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen a tiny 85 year old dude walk up a ladder to the roof holding two 5gal buckets full of water. He could probably kick all of our asses.
Old 01-08-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, I don't want police discriminating based on sex or race, so I suppose I should be consistand and not want them to discriminate based on age either. If it is a beatable offense, then his age doesn't matter.
Old 01-08-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Someone beat C-Man?

Old 01-08-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Someone beat C-Man?

His grandson.
Old 01-08-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by kvrdave
His grandson.
his grandosn beat him or his grandson is the one who's 85?

Old 01-08-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

classicman hasn't been 85 since his time in the desert with Moses.
Old 01-08-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Maybe he didn't do anything that night, but I'm sure he did something in his 85 years of life to deserve an asswhuppin'
Old 01-09-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Uhhmmm...well, both parties AREN'T to blame, if he got beat.

There's no excuse for beating up an 85 year-old man. There's no way he would ever be a threat.

Unless he's a Mandelbaum.
Old 01-09-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!"
Old 01-09-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it's go time!
Old 01-10-05, 10:27 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Well, I don't want police discriminating based on sex or race, so I suppose I should be consistand and not want them to discriminate based on age either. If it is a beatable offense, then his age doesn't matter.

Yeah. He probably would have sued if he wasn't beaten, for age discrimination. "They beat young black men all the time, but they can't beat me? Make them pay!"
Old 01-10-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Young niggah, old niggah saaaame thing. Maybe he(Old Boseefus) didn't do anything that night, but I'm sure he did something in his 85 years of life to deserve an alleged asswhuppin' and pepper spray facial.
That's exactly what I was going to write.

well except for the N word usage.
Old 01-10-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Sir did you know that you are old and driving still"
Old 01-10-05, 04:40 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two sides to every story, but beating up an old guy, surely the cop didn't have to do that.
Old 01-10-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
ST. PAUL, Minnesota (AP) -- Police said they are investigating an incident in which an officer pepper-sprayed an 85-year-old man [fact] during a traffic stop.

Leon Nins said officer Michael Lee also beat him after he took too long to stop his car. Police deny that and say Nins attacked Lee.

Leaders of St. Paul's NAACP chapter and St. Paul African American Leadership Council alleged that race was a factor. Nins is black.

Nins said at a news conference Thursday that he was bringing sandwiches and cupcakes to his wife during his daily visit to her nursing home December 27 when Lee tried to pull him over for having expired license tags.

Nins, a World War II veteran who stands about 5-feet-7 and weighs 145 pounds, claims Lee was angry that he didn't stop his car right away.

"I told him, 'If I'd have seen you, I would have stopped,"' Nins said earlier. "He got really mad about that. He told me to get in his car, and he started beating me on the leg and on the side of the arm. He pushed me down on the floor, and he was slamming the door on my legs."

Nins was arrested and jailed for two days. [fact] The Ramsey County Attorney's Office declined to charge him with a felony, but prosecutors still could bring a lesser charge.

Nins said he went to a hospital for treatment after his release.

St. Paul police Chief John Harrington confirmed that Lee used pepper spray to subdue Nins, but only after Nins refused to produce identification and began flailing at the officer.

"I do not believe (Lee) was acting with excessive force and I don't have any intention of suspending him or moving him to any administrative assignment at this time," Harrington said.

Groups who claim that race played a role cited a 2001 shooting in which Lee was cleared of wrongdoing. Charles Craighead had taken a gun from a man trying to carjack him. Lee mistook Craighead, who was black, for the carjacker, and shot him to death.
The thread title should be fixed.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 01-10-05 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
Two sides to every story, but beating up an old guy, surely the cop didn't have to do that.
How can the police know for sure that the 85 year old man wasn't going to take out his dentures and try to cut the officer. They needed to give him a beating.
Old 01-10-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe if there were more beatings like these, then less 85-year-old people would drive?

"I keeed, I keeed . . ."