Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Green Screen Trick?

Old 01-08-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Green Screen Trick?

Small Video Clip

Is this a green screen trick? It is really freaking me out.
Old 01-08-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can see some obvious distortion underneath the box. It's probably not green screen, but instead a composite shot of a clean slate and the motion. Since the shot is static, it wouldn't be too diffifcult to do, especially since the box has a clean line along the bottom to cut against. He would just do the walk, with a hole in the bottom of the box, then just replace the bottom half with an empty shot of the room.
Old 01-08-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Looks CG to me.
Old 01-08-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You will believe a man can fly!
Old 01-08-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
You can see some obvious distortion underneath the box. It's probably not green screen, but instead a composite shot of a clean slate and the motion. Since the shot is static, it wouldn't be too diffifcult to do, especially since the box has a clean line along the bottom to cut against. He would just do the walk, with a hole in the bottom of the box, then just replace the bottom half with an empty shot of the room.
I agree with this assessment.
Old 01-08-05, 01:50 AM
Banned

Yeah, for a video that short, you don't really need green screen or anything along those lines. A simple frame by frame composite would be pretty easy to do in a short amount of time. With longer shots, that sort of thing simply isn't worth the effort, but with a short shot it's pretty straight forward.
Old 01-08-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love it. My daughter is freaked out by stuff like this and wants to know how it's done. She still hasn't figured out how I can levitate like David Blaine.

Any one have any clues what software they used to create this?
Old 01-08-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is another video of this guy on stupidvideos.com. He gets into the box and picks it up and disappears. Pretty cool stuff.

Garolo - I know there are kits you can get to do the David Blaine stuff. But how do you do the levitating?
Old 01-08-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kantonburg
There is another video of this guy on stupidvideos.com. He gets into the box and picks it up and disappears. Pretty cool stuff.

Garolo - I know there are kits you can get to do the David Blaine stuff. But how do you do the levitating?
Like with Petals Around the Rose, I've been sworn to secrecy but search is your friend, my friend.

Hint: It's called the Balducci Levitation Illusion

"Life's an illusion love is a dream.", Pete Shelley
Old 01-08-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I were to do that, I'd just use Adobe Photoshop and After Effects. With those two programs, it'd be pretty easy..
Old 01-08-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein
Small Video Clip

Is this a green screen trick? It is really freaking me out.
No, it's really half a man in a flying box.
Old 01-08-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I know there are kits you can get to do the David Blaine stuff. But how do you do the levitating?
Personally, I looked into the King Rising levitation. Pretty much the same thing, if you do the research.

How do you do the levitating? Look at it this way...instead of trying to figure out how to levitate, ask yourself how to go about making it look like you levitate. It's an illusion, so you can probably figure it out...if you don't want to spend the money to learn the trick. Having done so myself, I'll tell you it's a little disappointing.

BTW...don't be too impressed with David Blaine's levitating. He added post-shooting camera tricks to his street magic DVD to make it look more impressive.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 01-08-05 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-08-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Personally, I looked into the King Rising levitation. Pretty much the same thing, if you do the research.

How do you do the levitating? Look at it this way...instead of trying to figure out how to levitate, ask yourself how to go about making it look like you levitate. It's an illusion, so you can probably figure it out...if you don't want to spend the money to learn the trick. Having done so myself, I'll tell you it's a little disappointing.

BTW...don't be too impressed with David Blaine's levitating. He added post-shooting camera tricks to his street magic DVD to make it look more impressive.
You payed good money to learn how David Blaine does his tricks???? One should always consult Big Think (i.e. the Internet) before laying down cash.

The 360 turning arm, the name in ashes on the arm, the card through the window, the bitten in half quarter, etc. can all be found on the internet. Even the block of ice and buried alive stunts are explained. His up close slight of hand is just that. Frankly, I think Lance Burton is more interesting.
Old 01-08-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by garolo
You payed good money to learn how David Blaine does his tricks???? One should always consult Big Think (i.e. the Internet) before laying down cash.

The 360 turning arm, the name in ashes on the arm, the card through the window, the bitten in half quarter, etc. can all be found on the internet. Even the block of ice and buried alive stunts are explained. His up close slight of hand is just that. Frankly, I think Lance Burton is more interesting.
No, I didn't pay to see how David Blaine does his tricks. I referenced one trick in my previous post, the levitation. The research I did said that, as stated before, he does the Balducci method. I looked instead into the King Rising method. Seeing how the Balducci was done, the King Rising looked a little more impressive. I was curious how it was done, I had the extra money, so I paid for the trick. Like I said, once it was revealed it was a little disappointing to see just how simple it is.

As for his other tricks you mentioned, I couldn't care less. It was the levitation I was interested in.

Have I explained my actions to your satisfaction?
Old 01-10-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
No, I didn't pay to see how David Blaine does his tricks. I referenced one trick in my previous post, the levitation. The research I did said that, as stated before, he does the Balducci method. I looked instead into the King Rising method. Seeing how the Balducci was done, the King Rising looked a little more impressive. I was curious how it was done, I had the extra money, so I paid for the trick. Like I said, once it was revealed it was a little disappointing to see just how simple it is.

As for his other tricks you mentioned, I couldn't care less. It was the levitation I was interested in.

Have I explained my actions to your satisfaction?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was going to say you needed to ask for your money back. And yes, King Rising is cool but like with most illusions a bit disappointing once you how it's done.
Old 01-10-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, why don't either of you save everybody else some $$$ and explain how to do it.
Old 01-10-05, 03:29 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aren't there magic schools you can go to learn this stuff?

Yeah that flying box guy is all CG, if you look closely, you can see the top of his legs moving in the box.