Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Housing in Boston Question

Old 01-07-05, 11:18 AM

Housing in Boston Question

I've been looking for an apartment to rent in Boston between early February and mid June for $1,100 or less but haven't been having much luck. Ideally the apartment would be in or around Porter or Harvard Square, but anything in downtown Boston would be fine. I've been searching Craigs list and other online resources in addition to some classifieds, any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot everyone.
Old 01-07-05, 11:25 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Have you tried Allston/Brighton?
Old 01-07-05, 11:31 AM

Not really because I unfortunately don't have a car, so I need a place that is relatively close to a T stop. Are there some well priced places in those areas? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-07-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that's a little low for a decent apartment in the Harvard/Porter/Cambridge area. You're probably looking at a little closer to $1500/Mo.

Maybe you could find a roomate or a sublet for that price though.
April/May is usually the best time for finding apartments around there, because of the mass exodus of college students moving home for the summer. Landlords are wiling to let their places go cheaper than worrying whether or not they'll be able to get someone in August.

Alston/Brighton is a bit cheaper, and most sections have either the T or bus lines running through it. www.mbta.com has information about all the Bus and T routes. Inside the 128 loop is pretty good for people who don't have a car. Outside of it, you almost need one.

-jason
Old 01-07-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think you're gonna have any luck for that price.. I've only been living up here for 4 months (moved from downtown Chicago), and could not locate an apt for the same price as my old rent for the life of me downtown.. (was paying $1150 in Chicago) anywhere in the city, in Chicago I had a sweet 1 bedroom loft apartment.

Problem with boston, is that it's so old, and there just isn't new construction to rent etc. meaning you gotta pay more even.. Mostly everything is just brownstones and stuff, which is big big bucks. I'm currently living in W. Roxbury, which is part of boston technically, but it's not really as far as I'm concerned. Have to take the T into the city. 2 bedroom in a 2 flat, and it's costing me $950 a month, which is a good deal from what else I saw. Might be worth a try, else you're gonna prob have to up your price to live downtown.

Then again I'm only a 4 month native so I'm not sure I really know that much yet.
Old 01-07-05, 01:23 PM

I lived a half mile from Porter Square in Somerville 4 years ago; the rent then was $1400 for a 2BR/1Bath. The rents have gone down somewhat, but you'll be hard pressed to find a place within walking distance of the T in Somerville/Cambridge for your price. Of course, if you're looking for a studio or a small 1BR you may get lucky.

Some other options:
East Boston near the Maverick Sq T stop. Eastie is up and coming, and brand new condos are being built on the waterfront near Maverick Sq. No plane noise from Logan, and a very short ride into downtown. I have a friend who lives almost a mile from the Maverick T and he has never had crime problems in the neighborhood. Having said that, it isn't a place I would feel entirely comfortable walking in at night by myself (I'm a woman). Big Hispanic community, used to be a big Italian community, and lots of other ethinicities moving in due to it's relative affordability. Take that as you will.

Malden on the Orange line. My husband and I bought a house here. Malden will never be mistaken for Sville/Camb, but it's affordable. I only have a quarter mile walk to the Oak Grove T, and a 15-20 minute ride to downtown. You can rent my basement for $500/month if you want. It's unfinished but there is a half bath and a private bilco door!

As Bandoman said, Allston/Brighton is good, pricewise, but it is a student ghetto. I have witnessed gentlemen hitting glass bottles off their roof with a baseball bat in this neighborhod. Enter at your own risk/enjoyment of these activities.

Good luck! I'm no expert, but I've lived here for 4 years - if I can answer any questions feel free to ask.