Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Playing against pros online: does anybody care?

Old 01-07-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Playing against pros online: does anybody care?

Devilfish was playing 2/4 Omaha last night. I havenít lurked at a celeb table in a long time. Nothingís changed Ė a lot of slavering-fan chat. I remember seeing 85 observers at a table Phil Hellmouth was at a while back.

Not to be outdone, one site has tables for John Juanda, Phil Ivey, Eric Seidel, and Chris Ferguson, among others.

Does this interest you? For my part, many of you know I dislike overactive chat boxes. One of these guys shows up and itís constant babble.

So, would you get a boner if you could sit with a pro?
Old 01-07-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why does chat bother you?

it would be interesting to be at a table with a pro.. but for the most part who cares.
Old 01-07-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm really about the money, so it doesn't matter much who I play with or how much they talk. I would rather watch some pro at home on tv so I can see what cards they have, and why they are doing what they are doing.
Old 01-07-05, 10:43 AM

The pros would never lower themselves to play at the low stakes tables I go to.
Old 01-07-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by moorehed
why does chat bother you?

it would be interesting to be at a table with a pro.. but for the most part who cares.
Don't you remember from two DVD Talk poker sessions ago? He was pissed at all the chatter at the table. Hey, here's a suggestion. Turn it off!
Old 01-07-05, 11:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

How did Devilfish do?
Old 01-07-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've played with James Woods (actor) over at Hollywood poker. That was pretty cool, he's a outgoing guy. A bunch of other B class actors play there as well.
Old 01-07-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
The names I mentioned (except for Devilfish) have reserved seats at 3/6, 2/4, and 1/2 holdem tables. I think Eric Seidel has an Omaha table.

Devilfish was playing on UB at a 2/4 PL Omaha table. (I didnít stick around to see how well he was playing, because, as you know, excessive chat turns me off in a similar way that some people enjoy getting their KKs beat. )

Hellmuth and Duke also play at a 4/8 table on UB. Rumor has it that Hellmuth once showed up at a 50Ę table with a $1000+ bankroll...
Old 01-07-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho

I saw Phil Hellmuth at the $.50/$1 table at ultimateBet not too long ago.
I can't watch too much, because he probably brings the most attention from Lurkers harrasing him.

I've watched some of Devilfish's games though without too much hassle (this was a few months back). he seems to stick to mostly Omaha there.
Old 01-07-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Wizdar
Hellmuth and Duke also play at a 4/8 table on UB. Rumor has it that Hellmuth once showed up at a 50Ę table with a $1000+ bankroll...
You posted this right before me. I can confirm that rumor.
I saw him there.

Annie usually plays at her special "4/8" table when she does play.
Although she did sit down with Phil once and they were at the same table (but she only stayed about 10 minutes, the one time I saw them both together)
Old 01-07-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by briank
I can't watch too much, because he probably brings the most attention from Lurkers harrasing him.
Ah, a kindred soul?

In contrast, there were 3 open seats at DF's table.
Old 01-12-05, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I'm really about the money, so it doesn't matter much who I play with or how much they talk. I would rather watch some pro at home on tv so I can see what cards they have, and why they are doing what they are doing.

Ditto!!!
Old 01-12-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone have a list of their screen names and what sites these pros are at?

Any pros at Pacific?
Old 01-12-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Anyone have a list of their screen names and what sites these pros are at?

Any pros at Pacific?
If a big name pro played on Pacific, I would no longer have any respect for him. Would just point and laugh, and wonder, wtf you doing on that crappy site!
Old 01-12-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So has anybody seen VanPatton at Pacific?

Annie has a 4/8 table named after her (it used to be Motormouthís) at UB. Hellmuth and Devilfish also play there, using those names. Thereís a coupla others I canít remember offhand. If you download UntimateBuddy, it comes preloaded with their names.

At FullTilt thereís a bunch using their real name. Check out FullTiltPoker for a lineup. The tables they sit at are marked in red (I donít remember if the tables are named after them, and suspect not). The trouble with this is they have permanent seats. So, if youíre looking for a 9-handed game, one seat will always be taken even if that person isnít there. Itís not like they would have trouble finding a game, since the site isnít very popular.
Old 01-12-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Full Tilt poker blows though. I even prefer pacifics crap over that cartoon site.
Old 01-12-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that the avatars are a joke.

I've had several occasions where preflop bets were not collected on Pacific. I've mentioned elsewhere that during an allin situation on the flop, you still have to make a bet/check for play to continue some times. I'll take cartoon avatars over flawed software any day.
Old 01-12-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not a huge issue for me since it's just pennies at the levels I play at, but also on pacific, if you bet at someone and everyone else folds, that uncalled bet is subject to the rake also.

I've noticed the bet/check flaw. I write it off as a minor annoyance that happens maybe once a week at the limit hold em tables. It's well worth it to deal with that and have all the little guppies swimming around..
Old 01-12-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with you in principal about the players. It just makes me wonder what else is screwed up with their SW. Like maybe the RNG? &
Old 01-16-05, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by actyper
I've played with James Woods (actor) over at Hollywood poker. That was pretty cool, he's a outgoing guy. A bunch of other B class actors play there as well.
Freeroll - Spend Oscar Night with the Stars and $5000 in Sweet Cash up for Grabs!

Over $18,000 in Cash, Prizes and Bounties to be Won!

We Got the Call
We were just finishing up our day at the office when the phone rang. James Woods was calling full of excitement about the "Spend Oscar Night with the Stars" tournament. In fact he was so excited that he suggested including ALL of our loyal players in the tournament. SoÖlong story made short "Spend Oscar Night with the Stars" is now a FREEROLL! That's right; we are giving away over $18,000 in cash, prizes and bounties!

Easy to Qualify
Hollywood Poker will be hosting a Freeroll tournament for all players that have acquired 150 poker points by January 31st at midnight EST. If you already have 150 poker points, you are already qualified! Don't have 150 poker points? Do not despair there is still plenty of time to qualify for this enormous freeroll!

The tournament will take place February 3, 2005.

Party with the Stars!
In 2005, the Beverly Hills hotel will be the location for the arrival of more than 100 Celebrities who will again attend one of the most sizzling Celebrity Oscar parties in town, The Night of 100 Stars Black-tie Oscar Dinner Gala. This is your chance to party with the stars!

Celebrities in this tournament will be tagged with bounties; those skilled enough to knock them out are in for a generous surprise!
Old 01-16-05, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think I played with P-Diddy on PS one time. We got to talking and he told me to take Den over Cincy. I should have listened to my gut. This was just a regular play money table.