Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I'm depressed (car problems)

Old 01-07-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm depressed (car problems)

Sorry, but I felt like ranting a bit.

On Wednesday, about halfway to work in the morning, my car started to jerk a little like it wanted to quit on me when I drove slower. At least I made it to work though, and figured I'd head straight for a garage afterwards. I get out of work, and now my car won't even start. So I have to have it towed to a place near where I work (like 35 miles from home). Surprisingly, my boss tells me to take his vehicle home and he gets a ride with his brother.

Next day.. my car is done and I'm dropped off at the garage at 5:00 or so (they close at 6:00). It turns out my timing belt broke, and there were a few other small repairs done. Leave there by 5:30, drive about 20 minutes.. then no acceleration. So there I am on the side of 8 Mile in Detroit, and I frantically call the garage which will be closing soon. They tell me to call the towing people and they'll look at my car "first thing" Friday morning. So I get towed there after waiting in the cold for a half hour, and I finally am able to get a ride back home around 7:00 (not to mention that the main road landed up closing for icy conditions, so after eating really late, got home about 10:00).

Had to have my fiancee drive me to work this morning before she went in, making us both get up at 5:30 this morning. And now here I am at work, waiting to hear any news from the garage.

So if you actually made it this far, any other car horror stories out there?
Old 01-07-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Right now I'm without a car...

My Nissan 240SX... cracked cylinder head. No $$$ to fix. It's been out of commission for about 7 months. My Dodge Dart.... just broke the timing chain. No $$$ to fix. Happened the Monday after X-Mas. Been having to carpool since. No idea when I'll have either fixed. Been trying to look for another stock used engine for the 240, but the KA24DE is really scarce. Either I can have it rebuilt or I have to upgrade to a SR20DET which is a japanese engine. I'd also have to get the ECU and transmission installed. The Dart should be rebuilt also since I most likely have bent rods.

But look on the bright side. It's only the start of the new year. It can't get any worse than it is now.
Old 01-07-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally Posted by reverie
It turns out my timing belt broke, and there were a few other small repairs done.
Just be thankful that you have a non-interference engine, otherwise you'd be really in the hole.
Old 01-07-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As we both lived in the city I shared a car with my brother. It was a '91 Acura Integra with about 140k miles. Was driving it to Conneticut for a graduation party and it just goes dead on the Willis Avenue bridge. Luckily I was no more than 100 feet up the ramp and pushed it back down with my wife driving so I wouldn't disrupt traffic. I was on 1st Ave and 125 st. for the next 5 hours as I found a garage mechanic working at a store that sells rebuilt alternators or something. He replaced something quickly and the car still wouldn't start. I left it with a towing service and it was fixed the next morning. Ends up there was a broken flywheel. The next morning I went to go pick it up and was out $600 cash (no checks, credit cards, money orders accepted). The following morning my wife and I signed up for AAA and decided to purchase a new car shortly thereafter (Acura MDX). Never again do I want to be stranded and put into a situation I was in where I had absolutely no control.
Old 01-07-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I owned a 1995 Chrysler Cirrus (first mistake). I was driving about 10 miles away from home when I lost all power and my temp guage skyrocketed. I pulled over at a gas station and opened the hood and steam shot out and there was green antifreeze all over the engine. So like a dumbass I filled the coolant full of water and tried to drive home. I was a stupid college kid at the time and knew nothing about cars. I had to pull over about every mile to let it cool down. I finally made it to my street and then the thing wouldn't start anymore. Some guy helped me push it to my house. I had it towed. Blown headgasket but thankfully the block wasn't cracked surprisingly since I drove it 10 miles with a blown headgasket. All in all it cost about $1300 and a week in the shop.
Old 01-07-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
But look on the bright side. It's only the start of the new year. It can't get any worse than it is now.
Ah, but I'm getting married this year.

What they say happened last night was the tensioner was bad (from the factory) and it just destroyed the belt. So now they're sending someone to pick up a new tensioner since there isn't another in the area.. Time is ticking.

(and I've done the fill-up-with-water-until-you-get-home thing too! Unfortunately that was the end of that car though...)
Old 01-07-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My last car caught fire and burned to a crisp at the gas station... so... it could be worse!
Old 01-07-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I drive a '92 Buick Skylark with no paint, busted AC, a hood that's stuck, three wheel covers, and only 1 speaker that works

......so it could be worse.
Old 01-07-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been without a car since July when my '89 Pontiac LeMans finally gave out on me. I was leaving for Vegas a week after it happened so I just thought I would take it to the shop after I got back. When I finally did take it to the garage they told me that two of the cylinders were only giving 50% compression and the others weren't doing anything (it's a 4 cylinder). I figured it wasn't even worth trying to fix so I just scrapped it. It still cost me some money to tow it twice and have them look at it. Hopefully I'll have a car by this July since it's pretty easy to get around without one except during the summer. I need some more money first.
Old 01-07-05, 02:49 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

devilshalo, if you want, I will sell you a 1995 240sx with 78,000 miles for $3,000
Old 01-07-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Corky Roxbury
devilshalo, if you want, I will sell you a 1995 240sx with 78,000 miles for $3,000
In NY? Well, it comes out cheaper to put the SR20DET in it and make it a drifter.
Old 01-07-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so one time I go out in the garage with my 90+ pound Akita mix mutt dog and he sort of dives at the car and I "think" I saw a rat run under there.. "Oh well nothing I can do about it now"..

week later the car is not running so well.. Week after that it's just not running.. @%@^@#$ RAT ate part of wiring in the motor or at least chewed on it.. $600 later I get the car back from the shop. sigh..

Yes, I then set out all sort of traps and took great glee in killing the rat.. Odds it was the same one? Pretty low.. Did I still lie to myself it was the same one and then go "HA!! I got you Mr. $600 rat!!" yes I did..
Old 01-07-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

-Dec 1999 - Buy my first 'nice' car a 95 Grand Cherokee with every option i wanted, in an exceptional shape in/out. Baby the hell out of the truck for 3 years... constantly get compliments on it.
-"wise up" in 2002 and decide... hey, why am i paying for full coverage insurance on a 8 y old car. Save money by going to liability only.
-A month later park in a spot with a 4 foot metal poll on the right at door level, (so that no one parks next to me and dents my jeep).
In a hurry, get in the car and start pulling out quickly - Door/window/fender ..meet poll.

Poll - 999, Door/window/fender/insurance - 0
Old 01-09-05, 05:43 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Originally Posted by devilshalo
In NY? Well, it comes out cheaper to put the SR20DET in it and make it a drifter.

why? where do you live? A;so how much can you get a sr20 motor for?
Old 01-09-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Corky Roxbury
why? where do you live? A;so how much can you get a sr20 motor for?
I'm in CA.. they were quoting me $1350 for the Red top, ECU and tranny.
Old 01-09-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

99 Toyota Tacoma

Shelled out about $3,000 last summer for repairs - head gasket, fuel injector and some other things. Running OK now, hopefully nothing major for awhile. I'm planning to have it for awhile, so atleast it's worth investing in imo.