Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is this EBAY Email notice a scam or real?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-05-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I've been with ebay since 1999, but I got an email just a few minutes ago and don't know what to do. I have no idea why I got it, and the email confuses me because I did not as to have anything being investigated or anything like that...here it is:

"eBay request: Confirm your eBay account.

Dear eBay customer,

Due to recent activity, including possible unauthorized listings placed on your account, we will require a second confirmation of your identity with us in order to allow us to investigate this matter further.Your account is not suspended, but if in 48 hours after you receive this message your account is not confirmed we reserve the right to suspend your eBay registration. If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of eBay policy to represent oneself as another eBay user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. eBay is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

It then provides a link where, I guess, I'm supposed to sign in with my account name and password and confirm this is indeed my account. It then goes on to state:

"To confirm your identity with us click here:
http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayIS...ame=h:h:sin:US

After responding to the message, we ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated. Emailing us before that time will result in delays. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you and we would like to thank you for your cooperation as we review this matter.

eBay will request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in this email.
Thank you for using eBay!
http://www.ebay.com/"

Now, this last line has me thinking it's BS when it says "ebay will request personal data..." Don't they include in their emails that they strictly DON'T do this? I think it's BS, but I figured I'd come here and see if anyone has ever gotten anything like this, and to get suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by PacMan2006; 01-05-05 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Fix something
Old 01-05-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a scam. The only time you should ever enter your password is on the official ebay entry point. They will never ask you to enter your information like this.
Old 01-05-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definite scam. Forward the email to ebay.
Old 01-05-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if the e-mail is asking you to click somewhere, scam.

Forward it to [email protected]
Old 01-05-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scam.

I've dealt with several people who have filled these out and had their accounts stolen along with all of their personal information.
Old 01-05-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks guys.
Old 01-05-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a scam. You can tell because (in addition to what others have said) when you click on the link in the original email, the actual URL is NOT the one listed in the email. They're a bit tricky by using an href tag in the mail... I wonder how many people click but don't notice the URL that is in the address field of their browser.
Old 01-05-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't this always fall in the "if you have to ask...." category?
Old 01-05-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a scam, and should be forwarded to [email protected] (the 'safeharbor" address no longer works).

Basic rule: NEVER enter any secure information through an email link - and you will never receive a legitimate request asking you to do so.
Old 01-06-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by sracer
It's a scam. You can tell because (in addition to what others have said) when you click on the link in the original email, the actual URL is NOT the one listed in the email. They're a bit tricky by using an href tag in the mail... I wonder how many people click but don't notice the URL that is in the address field of their browser.
and with that one IE flaw the address bar will show the address that is shown in the visible part of the email even though it is going to another site
Old 01-06-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scam...

I normally get the same type of e-mails to confirm my ATM PIN.