Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Howard Stern taken off 4 radio stations.-Press Release

Old 01-05-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Howard Stern taken off 4 radio stations.-Press Release

Citadel radio takes Howard Stern off the air
The shock jock plans to take his show to Sirius Satellite Radio
Updated: 8:23 p.m. ET Jan. 4, 2005

LOS ANGELES - Citadel Broadcasting Corp. dumped shock jock Howard Stern from four stations this week and may never resume his show due to tensions over Stern’s recent penchant for touting his upcoming move to satellite radio.

Stern plans to leave terrestrial radio in 2006 when he takes his ribald daily program to Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.

“Regrettably, Mr. Stern has transformed the content of his show into a continuous infomercial promoting Sirius, his new satellite radio employer,” Citadel said in a statement.

The company had carried Stern on stations in Syracuse, New York; Providence, Rhode Island; Grand Rapids, Michigan; and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Stern had taken a two-week vacation break, but listeners were surprised when the show did not resume on Jan. 3

Citadel promised to keep its listeners advised as to whether or when Stern returns.

Stern was not available for comment on Citadel’s move.

Ironically, Citadel’s Syracuse rock station WAQX-FM had reached a deal with Sirius’ rival XM Satellite Radio Holdings to run the controversial “Opie & Anthony” show with heavy editing as an alternative during Stern’s two-week break.

But an operations manager for the Syracuse station said the deal for “Opie & Anthony” ended Jan. 4 and that the station would air music in the show’s time slot the rest of the week.

A spokesman for XM said it was the first time any radio station had gotten permission from it to retransmit “Opie & Anthony,” who left conventional radio in 2002 after being suspended for airing a show in which which they encouraged a couple to have sex in New York’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral.

The rift between Stern and Citadel intensified weeks ago when the Syracuse station began cutting away before he was finished. Citadel said Stern’s conduct was “unreasonable and not what it had bargained for in its agreements with him.”

Additionally, it said it could not allow Stern to continue bad-mouthing its stations and the company over the airwaves.

One Citadel rival said the move was risky.

“I’ve never seen a radio station go to war with its own audience. Listeners are saying they’re going to boycott the station. It’s like a divorce and the listeners and advertisers are the kids,” said Ed Levine, chief executive of Galaxy Communications, which owns 14 stations in upstate New York, including two rival rock stations in the Syracuse area.

Radio giant Clear Channel Communications Inc dropped Stern’s show from six stations nearly a year ago, citing indecency concerns. A spokesman for Viacom Inc’s Infinity radio unit said on Tuesday there was no change in its plans to keep Stern on its stations through the end of the year when his contract expires.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this was discussed already but i am providing the press release....

he just doesnt care anymore..... he is out to get everyone annoyed until he leaves
Old 01-05-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

This is playing directly into his hands. People will sympathize with Stern, which will make them jump ship to Sirus or XM.
Old 01-05-05, 12:11 PM

It's all bullshit. Citadel is just screwing themselves.

Hopefully Stern will make the jump sooner than next year.
Old 01-05-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
This is playing directly into his hands. People will sympathize with Stern, which will make them jump ship to Sirus or XM.
Sympatize with him about what??? The guy is acting like a little child. Why not show at least a little respect for the stations that are airing your show, instead of pimping yourself and new future station?
Old 01-05-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cpgator
Sympatize with him about what??? The guy is acting like a little child. Why not show at least a little respect for the stations that are airing your show, instead of pimping yourself and new future station?
Howard's ratings have been tremendous ever since he announced he was leaving for satellite next year. Seems like he's respecting the stations that are airing his show by bringing listeners in.
Old 01-05-05, 12:32 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Yeah, he's still making a ton of money for Infinity, and would still be making money for Citadel if they didn't can him. If they can't show that his on-air behavior was adversely affecting their bottom line - and I bet they can't - then they're in breach of contract and howard is going to collect from them. Hell, even if they do show that howard hurt their profits, I seriously doubt the contract allows Citadel any say over the content of the show.

Citadel is being stupid.
Old 01-05-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well think I'm going the other way on this one. I listen to Howard on occasion, but I guess I am one of the few that have listened to him less since his big announcement. Seems all he does now is talk about himself, how great he is, and how bad his current employer is.

I totally agree. Howard should be able to say whatever he want. But I also think that same feedom goes to the stations that carry him. They have the same feedom to cut him off. Sure they may lose money, but that is their right as well.
Old 01-05-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jdodd
Howard's ratings have been tremendous ever since he announced he was leaving for satellite next year. Seems like he's respecting the stations that are airing his show by bringing listeners in.

Bando is right - the bottom line should be is he making money for Citadel? If I was a stockholder, that would be my paramount concern. If the pimping for Sirius is causing listerners to abandon Stern now, then sure, they should bounce him. I see no indication that this is the case.

Their ratings are likely to tank when he leaves for Sirius anyhow, regardless of whether he is heavily promoting the upcoming move or not.
Old 01-05-05, 01:32 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Bando is right

Quoted for posterity. I see it so rarely.
Old 01-05-05, 01:35 PM

Will he still be on TV?? I never listened to his radio show, but I will watch his TV show when I catch it.
Old 01-05-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
Will he still be on TV?? I never listened to his radio show, but I will watch his TV show when I catch it.

Sure. Now once he goes to Sirius - who knows? I'd prefer that he move the tv show to Showtime or HBO.
Old 01-05-05, 01:52 PM

Sure. Now once he goes to Sirius - who knows? I'd prefer that he move the tv show to Showtime or HBO.
Brilliant!! I never thought of that. More nudity. LOL.
Old 01-05-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Their ratings are likely to tank when he leaves for Sirius anyhow, regardless of whether he is heavily promoting the upcoming move or not.
This is the key. If ratings are still up when he is pimping Sirus, Citadel is being stupid. Stern mentioned (well Robin) what about advertisers that have paid for ads on the Stern show, not some music program they have decided to run instead? Citadel is screwing them too.
Old 01-05-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Infinity had any balls they would do exactly what they did to Opie and Anthony. Take him off the air but keep him under contract so he cannot start on Sirius for another year. Then spend that year building a new show and stealing his audience.
Old 01-05-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wmansir
If Infinity had any balls they would do exactly what they did to Opie and Anthony. Take him off the air but keep him under contract so he cannot start on Sirius for another year. Then spend that year building a new show and stealing his audience.

And watch their stock take a nosedive.
Old 01-05-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cpgator
So what if he's pimping his future home? At last check his ratings have been up alot since the announcement. More ratings = increased ad revenue. It's not rocket science.

Plus, company that is doing this is doing it pretty arbitrarily and without any kind of factual basis for doing so. They are only hurting themselves, because in the long run it drives customers to go out and spend the money on satellite radio since they will not be able to hear what they want to hear.
Old 01-05-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I pretty much am never going to listen to WQXA 105.7 in Harrisburg ever again.
Old 01-05-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jdodd

No he's not. This is why stations fire Jocks and take them off the air asap before they have a chance to bad mouth the current station on air. Howard gets more "Free rides" in radio than most other personalities because he's bringing in the ratings. Obviously Satt radio is scaring the shit out of radio companies and to have such a vocal person with so much attention go over to it is bad. They know this is gonna fuck them big time. Not that I care mind you.

Taking him off the air will hurt them but you can't have him pimping his next gig on your station. Why make it easy for him to plug his new venture?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-05-05 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I pretty much am never going to listen to WQXA 105.7 in Harrisburg ever again.

Same here with KLXS 97.1fm in Los Angeles. I never listen unless Howard is on. The rest of the shows SUCK!.
Old 01-05-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Taking him off the air will hurt them but you can't have him pimping his next gig on your station. Why make it easy for him to plug his new venture?

It's a catch-22.
Old 01-05-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been saying this for years. Screw E! and their silly censoring. Adam Corrola pointed out how you can see just about everything on that show "Wild On" and various other past shows but Howard's show always gets censored. What's up with that?
Old 01-05-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's a catch-22.

I agree.
Old 01-05-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Howard should be able to say whatever he want. But I also think that same feedom goes to the stations that carry him. They have the same feedom to cut him off.
As long as they pay him the contracted amount, which they don't seem to be willing to do at this point.

I'm going to miss Howard very much. I've listened to him for about fifteen years, although I don't get a chance to listen as much as I once did. I may or may not get a eh-EH-eh when he leaves.
Old 01-05-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like what Citadel maybe planning. Sure, people are pissed now, but they've got 12 months to work on selling a new show too people that they wouldn't have if they didn't fire Stern now. The hardcore Stern listeners will go to Sirius anyway, those are not the target. The target are the people who like Stern but not enough to pay for Sirius.
Old 01-05-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apples and Oranges.

Stern is the biggest draw in all of radio, and one of the biggest in all entertainment. O&A are a mere fraction of that. You might be able to convert some listeners from Stern, but he has shown why he is SO valuable....his fans are fiercely loyal. Watch the membership increases at Sirius...it is already happening. Taking Stern off for a year will do nothing but tank the stock and piss people off even more. Sirius would have a major push to get every single one of those listeners. The listeners would sign up a year early....and make Sirius more money, and cost the radio stations more.

-pedagogue

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.