Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

San Francisco Considers Handgun Ban

Old 01-05-05, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,143081,00.html
Sunday, January 02, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO The city that bucked state law and sanctioned gay marriage (search) is now taking aim at the constitutional right to bear arms (search) by proposing a ban in San Francisco on private ownership of all handguns.

"When you get guns out of people's homes and off the streets, it means that that gun is not going to be used in a shooting that kills someone, whether a murder or an accidental shooting," said Chris Daly, supervisor of San Francisco.

San Francisco officials are pushing a ballot measure to prohibit just about everyone who isn't a cop, security guard or member of the military from having a handgun in their home or office.

Supporters of gun rights, however, say the ban would deny basic rights.

"What it's really about, the end game is, taking away civilians' firearms and depriving them of the most effective tool that there is for self-defense," said Chuck Michel, spokesman for the California Rifle and Pistol Association.

Despite state laws that prevent local governments from banning handguns, the city believes doing just that will stem a wave of homicides that's left 87 people dead this year.

Washington, D.C., banned handguns in response to its skyrocketing homicide rate in 1976. But nearly three decades later, it had more murders per capita than any other city its size.

Opponents are already planning lawsuits, but argue that even if it does pass, this ban won't stop crime as law-abiding citizens give up their guns while the criminals flock to a city that ensures they won't be shot at by the people they're robbing.

"And what's going to happen if this passes is people in San Francisco are going to be deprived of their ability to defend themselves," Michel said.

"I don't feel like I need to own a gun to protect myself. Certainly, I am a high-profile elected official and now a lot of gun owners don't like me individually, but if I'm in a situation where I feel threatened, I'll call the police," Daly said.

If approved by voters next year, the ban will take effect in 2006.
Interesting that of all the cities, it's San Francisco that is aiming to deprive people of a basic right. If anything, SF is consistent with the view of the Left regarding gun ownership.
Old 01-05-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"When you get guns out of people's homes and off the streets, it means that that gun is not going to be used in a shooting that kills someone, whether a murder or an accidental shooting," said Chris Daly, supervisor of San Francisco.
Just like in Washington DC
Old 01-05-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bah. This thread isn't just as fun as the last time this SF ban was discussed - you need to slam a group as psychotic in the thread title.
Old 01-05-05, 12:56 PM

SAN FRANCISCO The city that bucked state law and sanctioned gay marriage (search) is now taking aim at the constitutional right to bear arms (search) by proposing a ban in San Francisco on private ownership of all handguns.
Nice editorilizing there, Fox "News."
Old 01-05-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

They didn't buck state law?
Old 01-05-05, 02:01 PM
Banned

repost
Old 01-05-05, 02:09 PM
Banned

5 idiotic and psychotic supervisors, 4 Dem and 1 Green, consider themselves "ideologically diverse" voted for this.
Old 01-05-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Bah. This thread isn't just as fun as the last time this SF ban was discussed - you need to slam a group as psychotic in the thread title.
I knew I'd seen this somewhere... those psychotic liberals are at it again.
Old 01-05-05, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Myster X
repost
I did a search, but could not find an existing thread.
Old 01-05-05, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I knew I'd seen this somewhere... those psychotic liberals are at it again.
Liberal does not describe what you find in SF. They are extremists, and share more in common with the right wing nuts than mainstream politicians.
Old 01-05-05, 02:19 PM
Banned

Living in San Franfrisko for over two decades, I can tell you that these supervisors are completely psychotic.
Old 01-05-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Once again another foolish, misguided, anti gun law.

When will city offcials learn that the bad guys, commiting crimes with handguns, don't care about gun laws. The laws don't and never will apply to them.
These laws only affect lawful citizens.

It's rarely a guy who has filled out all his paperwork, been fingerprinted, got letters of recommendation, passed a background check, aquired his permit, walked into his local gun shop to legally purchase his firearm (after having passed yet another background check) who goes out and commits a crime with his handgun.

Regardless of gun laws, the bad guys will always and continually, get their weapons through illegal chanels. This leaves the law abiding potential gun owner, who wished to own a gun for home defense and/or target shooting purposes, defensless and disarmed.
Old 01-05-05, 02:33 PM

Beliefs like this that the politicians in SF hold about gun control, the focus on the wrong is never on the wrong-doer but rather the cause.

On a micro/macro level, a parallel can be made between this and the Cold War. The Soviet Union was not evil, but nuclear weapons are.
Old 01-05-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they'll pass this just to give Michael Savage a heart attack.
Old 01-05-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Swear to god almighty, anytime I read a headline with San Francisco, I just roll on the floor with laughter.
Old 01-06-05, 11:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I found this to be the funniest part:

"I don't feel like I need to own a gun to protect myself. Certainly, I am a high-profile elected official and now a lot of gun owners don't like me individually, but if I'm in a situation where I feel threatened, I'll call the police," Daly said.
"Excuse me, Mr. Criminal, sir? I do not appreciate that gun you're pointing at my family. I'm afraid I will have to call the police. You leave me no choice. You really crossed the line when you started raping my wife. I did not appreciate that, no sirree."
Old 01-06-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Actually, the official would probably watch his wife getting raped, justifying it as therapy for the criminal.
Old 01-06-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Within the first month of moving to San Francisco, I was awakened in the middle of the night by gunshots. I was living in Nob Hill which is a pretty good neighborhood. I looked out the window, and 4 teenagers in a convertible were chasing and shooting at a Racoon. It finally made its way into a gutter and they left dejected.

That's my best SF gun story. I won't even go into the Oakland gun stories.
Old 01-06-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
call the police
yeah, so they can come collect your dead body and take pictures of your unconcious beaten and raped wife
Old 01-06-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only way a handgun ban will ever have any real effect on violent crime rates is if it is a national ban, and then only maybe. The ongoing ban in D.C. just shows how misguided and ineffective such a ban can be, but arguably the availability of handguns in Virginia and Maryland has some small influence in the matter.

Overall, just more misguided nonsense from the silliest political city in America.
Old 01-06-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
even a national ban won't work. that'd just make the international smugglers happier
last I checked there was a national ban on cocaine, yet it's still available in almost every town
Old 01-06-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
even a national ban won't work. that'd just make the international smugglers happier
last I checked there was a national ban on cocaine, yet it's still available in almost every town
A national ban would most certainly have a modest effect on the rates of death and serious bodily injury from violent crime. I just don't think it would have enough effect to make it worthwhile. By outlawing handguns on a national level, a portion of the supply of illegal handguns would be eliminated. Additionally, prices on the street would go up as new handguns would have to either be smuggled in or manufactured clandestinely (with the resulting precipitous drop on quality and effectiveness).

At least by targetting handguns they are targetting something related to crime rates (as opposed to the typical liberal whipping boy, "assault weapons").
Old 01-06-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

True, the Assault Weapons Ban was a joke.
Now that it's sunset I don't recall seeing or reading anything about a surge in violent crimes or mass murders in which one of these "mean" looking guns was used.

As if there was some guy who had been sitting around for ten years unable to commit a bank robbery because he couldn't get hi cap mags for his AR.
NOW he's all set!

I still think the average citizen thought assault weapon indicated full auto.
Old 01-06-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Phil L.
I still think the average citizen thought assault weapon indicated full auto.
they did, partly because the media made it seem that way
and I read quotes from more than one police chief over the years saying the same thing
Old 01-06-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When guns are outlawed.....only outlaws will have guns.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.