Reload this Page >

What do you do?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What do you do?

Old 01-05-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you do?

I sure this has been done before but after reading the thread that dealt with Christmas bonuses I started to wonder what it is all you kooky otters do for a living. Some are well known (kvrdave) but others remain a mystery.

Anyhow, in 2005 I'm looking to change careers and/or go back to school and I'm facing a problem that has puzzled us all at one point or another. I don't know what to do with my life. I'd like to get some ideas.

So lets hear it. What do you do? How did you get that job? Do you like it? If you went to school, what did you go to school for? I'll go first.

I'm 28 years old. I graduated from the University of Michigan with a bachelors degree in Organizational Studies. I am a district manager for a chain of self storage facilities. I greatly dislike my job.

That way easy. So, what do you do?
Old 01-05-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

I raise rents.
Old 01-05-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pimp.
Old 01-05-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

U of M has one of the best business schools in the country.
Old 01-05-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suck up to clients.
Old 01-05-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

kind of in the same position as you.. what do you like to do as a hobby? cook, work on computers, garden, paint, surf for p0rn... maybe it can turn into a career.
Old 01-05-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ACH (Automated Clearing House) Electronic debits & credits.

Example: If you have your paycheck direct deposited, or pay a bill online etc, those debits and credits are what I deal with. I send and receive a lot of files to the Federal Reserve on behalf of other institutions, and help our clients with issues, as there are a whole lot of rules and regulations that have to be followed.

Referred by a friend who also works at the same company.

Surprisingly enough, I kind of like it. Though I don't think I want to do it the rest of my life.
Old 01-05-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got "promoted".

I stock dairy at a new Super Food City.
Old 01-05-05, 11:41 AM
Banned

What do you do?
chicks...
Old 01-05-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im a 29 year old teacher/water polo coach. I attended San Diego State University and received my BS in Kinesiology with supplementary authorization in Social Sciences. I received my teacher's credential from Teacher's Education Institute in Elk Grove, CA.

I taught and coached for 4 years in the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District and hated it (the school district is a mess along with the public school system). I also ran a water polo club with a friend...this definately helped support our income while my wife finished her master's degree. I was tenured but gave that up to move to San Jose and teach/coach at Valley Christian High School. I am currently teaching and coaching there...and I am loving it!
Old 01-05-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
chicks...

FREAK!
Old 01-05-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see, what don't I do? I stay home with the kids and take care of the house and all the other fun domestic type chores.

And I bitch-slap my husband when he gets out of line.

That about covers it.

I am, however, trying to get back into the work force but am unsure what I want to do. Any Portland area otters in a position to hire me as a personal assistant? I'm really good at bossing people around, saying the same thing over and over again until it gets done and sitting on my butt surfing the web.
Old 01-05-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

I've already go that position. Sorry.
Old 01-05-05, 11:55 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<--- Lawyer
Old 01-05-05, 12:00 PM
Banned

Computer God.
Old 01-05-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

27 years old, graduated from the University of Washington in Visual Arts, though I started in Computer Science.

I run my own Web development company. Took a couple years to get it rolling but fortunately I started when I was in college. All self-taught skills, but I am proud to have a degree and the Art background helps a lot. Living month to month with little job security or benefits is scary at times, but pretty exciting. Plus I get to work with no pants on and take time off whenever I want (or can afford it), which is mostly beneficial in setting my own hours. Work in the evening if there's something to do during the day, or schedule a meeting etc..

Oh, and I like crackers.
Old 01-05-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Newspaper copy editor (layout & proofreading). In the middle of applying to grad school to start in the fall.
Old 01-05-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

30 yrs. old, HVAC design engineer. I design heating, cooling, ventilation, etc. systems for large commercial buildings, specializing in performing arts centers and concert halls.

BS: Architectural Engineering, U. of Texas '97
MS: Penn State U. '04
Old 01-05-05, 12:23 PM

"So lets hear it. What do you do?"
Software Engineer

"How did you get that job?"
I sent a resume and they liked what they saw.

"Do you like it?"
Yes

"If you went to school, what did you go to school for? "
Computer Science
Old 01-05-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work for the government, doing telecommunications. Basically, I make sure the defense department can speak with each other, as well as with the embassies in Europe, Asia, and Australia.

I got the job by being promoted through the company I worked for a couple of years ago (and still kind of do). When I finished college, I picked the company I got hired with from a huge group of national communications companies. At the time of my graduation (4 years ago), communications was huge, and I had the pick of the litter.

I like my job for the most part. It gets interesting telling people where I work, since it is for the two most hated groups in Denver. If you live here, you can probably figure it out.

I went to a 2 year tech college for telecommunications. Right out of high school, and got hired right after. I am 24 at the moment.
Old 01-05-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to the University of Central Florida and have a BS in Exceptional Education/ Emotional Disturbance and a Certified Behavior Analyst. I work for an organization that works with developmentally disabled adults and children, and do staff training, QA for all programs and departments, and Investigations for serious incidents and abuse allegations.
Old 01-05-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What do you do? One of those jobs where I can't say what I do aka missile defense work.

How did you get it? Applied, did two interviews.

Like it? Yes

School? Masters in EE
Old 01-05-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to Michigan State University with a degree in Education and a minor in mathematics.
I'm a restaurant consultant. I've been in the restaurant business since I was 16 and even owned my own Little Caesars franchise about 10 years ago.

Stew
Old 01-05-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Art Institute of Seattle - AA in Art/Anim/Design. Worked on a dozen or so games for CD-ROM, online, and cell-phone.(mostly children's stuff - disney, etc..) Currently unemployed and doing a little work from home, hoping to land a new job soon as well as keep up with freelance on the side.
Old 01-05-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spartanstew
I went to Michigan State University with a degree in Education and a minor in mathematics.
I'm a restaurant consultant. I've been in the restaurant business since I was 16 and even owned my own Little Caesars franchise about 10 years ago.

Stew
You still in MI Stew? My wife got her teaching degree from MSU, and is 1 term away from her Masters. I am attending to try in finish my EE, while working as an "applications engineer"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.