Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Raccoon Dilema

Old 01-05-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Raccoon Dilema

Hey all,

So, we get up Sunday morning to find the dog food in the kitchen gone from the bowls, muddy water and tracks that don't match either cat or dog... we have both. Also, the cat food which is kept outside is gone. So, we aren't sure what it is, but a couple days go by and nothing. Last night I was watching TV and heard a noise in the kitchen... the cat (which doesn't like people) goes running by into the living room, but the noises are still there. I turn on the light in my room to see the kitchen and there are 2 HUGE raccoons. They went back out the doggy door and I followed them out with a flashlight. They went all the way over to someone else's yard and I went back inside. 20 minutes later I hear noises again and go to the kitchen... this time the kitchen light is on... and one of the raccoons is sticking his head into the doggy door. I yelled and he backed out. I then blocked the doggy door.

So, we don't want these critters coming into our house, but our animals need to get outside to go to the bathroom, so what do we do? Do I call animal control? I don't think they'll do anything... I live in Redlands, CA by the way. I don't want to hurt them of course... I suppose we could get traps and put them in the yard to catch them... maybe if we have them trapped animal control will take them... or we could drive them out to the canyon and let them go. Of course, they might have family close by... Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ask kvrdave.. he would probably recommend making them into a hat
Old 01-05-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dave will know the answer to this. Heck, I think there's even a thread on his 'coon capturing. Photos and all.
Old 01-05-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Use a live trap. The one above is for skunks, but Ranger Rick didn't know that. Most are a metal mesh.

They carry lots of nasty diseases, and are very nasty themselves. You can also get doggy doors that have radio collars and only "unlock" when the collar is within 3 feet of the door.

If you change the number in the picture, I think there is 8 total, and one has the trap I mentioned with a skunk in it. They were confused.
Old 01-05-05, 10:20 AM

Thanks! We have a feed store in town... perhaps they will have traps for rent... what did you use for bait? I guess in this instance, I could use dog or cat food huh? I'll just have to lock my animals inside while the trap is out there.
Old 01-05-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

I use cat food. You might catch a few cats as well, which is why the live trap is good. Then put the beast in the car and relocate it. The traps are pretty cheap, so you might want to consider buying one and keeping it. Racoons have a way of returning.
Old 01-05-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You could always make one of these:

Old 01-05-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
You could always make one of these:

no hats with animal fur is another thread
Old 01-05-05, 10:44 AM
Banned

Close the doggy door?
Old 01-05-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could always let your dog and cat out the traditional way and just open the door for them when it's time.
Old 01-05-05, 01:24 PM

Get rid of the doogy door and let them out yourself. Do you feel comfortable sleeping and knowing that anything could crawl in your house at any time? Are there any snakes in your area? Rattlers? Or a wolf. Do you remember that TV show "When Animals Attack"?? What I would like to know is if the doogy door is big enough for a small bear to get in?

Last edited by DoogieHowser; 01-05-05 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 01:31 PM
Banned

If the problem persists, a good but expensive solution are the auto pet doors:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1104953423236

Your dog and cat wear a collar with a transmitter that lets the door open for them only.
Old 01-05-05, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
Get rid of the doogy door and let them out yourself. Do you feel comfortable sleeping and knowing that anything could crawl in your house at any time? Are there any snakes in your area? Rattlers? Or a wolf. Do you remember that TV show "When Animals Attack"?? What I would like to know is if the doogy door is big enough for a small bear to get in?
No, the doggy door is not big enough for a bear... nor are there any bears in the area. I live in a smallish city, but somewhat close to the hills, and there are a lot of orange groves in this city. I have only ever seen possums and these are the first raccoons. We don't have many snakes in the area.

Oh, the doggy door can be locked by placing a plastic door in the slot, blocking the rubber mat from opening.

I've never thought of other animals coming in, though once on Easter my parents woke up with a strange dog on the bed. He ran out the door and we never saw him again (little dog). This is the first time any "wild" animal has come in the house. The automatic doors are an interesting idea... kind of expensive though. I sleep with my door closed, so it doesn't bother me that something could get in at night, but my mom is probably going to freak out about it.
Old 01-05-05, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by C-Mart
I've never thought of other animals coming in, though once on Easter my parents woke up with a strange dog on the bed. He ran out the door and we never saw him again (little dog). This is the first time any "wild" animal has come in the house.

at least it was friendly. but how did it know to sleep on the bed?
Old 01-05-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

give in to your primitive side. strip down to nothing and smear some raccoon shit on yourself. wait in a tree with a sharp stick and wait for them to come out. bonus points if you tear them apart with your teeth and feast after you've stabbed/bludgeoned them. then of course you should paint your face with their blood and dance around a fire, to appease the gods.
Old 01-05-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by debbert
You could always let your dog and cat out the traditional way and just open the door for them when it's time.
If pets aren't convenient, they become research animals. That's my motto.
Old 01-05-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by costanza
give in to your primitive side. strip down to nothing and smear some raccoon shit on yourself. wait in a tree with a sharp stick and wait for them to come out. bonus points if you tear them apart with your teeth and feast after you've stabbed/bludgeoned them. then of course you should paint your face with their blood and dance around a fire, to appease the gods.
Old 01-05-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

awww raccoons are cute

you could invite them in for a tea party!

just don't let them eat your face.
Old 01-05-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
my mom's friend used to have a pet raccoon. they found it as a baby and raised it. was fully domesticated and would climb up your leg to be petted/held
Old 01-05-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Coons! Mama just sweeps em off the back porch with a broom.
Old 01-05-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 01-05-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about cats, but for a dog, you shouldn't leave food for more than 30 minutes anyway. If they don't eat it, take it away (some training thing I heard somewhere). I have a doggie door like yours, but I modified the frame so I can close and lock a wood door over it for when I leave and the dog is with me. I also close it up at night when the dog is sleeping (inside). This keeps the dog from barking at possums in the middle of the night (I prefer to not bother my neighbors with doggie noises in the wee hours), and also keeps any possums that might want in, out. Since racoons are mostly night hunters, this might work, but you'll have to get your dog and cat used to not having as much nocturnal freedom.
Old 01-05-05, 03:45 PM

Haven't you read Where the Red Fern Grows? Get a log and drill a hole into it. At the bottom of the hole, place a quarter or nickel. Drive nails into the log at a 45' angle so the ends of the nails are inside the hole above the coin. The raccoon will reach in to grab the shiny coin, but his fist will get caught on the nails when he tries to pull it out. He won't let go of his coin, so it will be the perfect opportunity to bash his brains in.
Old 01-05-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whatever you do, get rid of it. I live in the midst of nowhere and have had this problem before. Leave food outside for the cat or dog and the racoon will invariably stay for as long as it's getting free food. In any case, FORGET about the pet door until you have gotten rid of your unwelcome guests. As Dave stated they do indeed carry many nasty diseases, rabies and distempter among them; when my son was younger he came up on one in our yard, tried to pet it as kids will do with cute animals, was bitten by it, and was sick for several days even though I took him to the emergency room within minutes after it happened.....needless to say those cute critters aren't welcome at my house. I've used a live trap to catch two of them in the last 4 years. Once they find your property is a welcome place to nest and eat at night, they aren't going to leave on their own. They may leave and return, take off for a season and come back....that can go on for a period of years.....and often have offspring there as well; you can become a coon habitat before ya know it.

Last edited by nightmaster; 01-05-05 at 04:36 PM.