Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Crack in Windshield--Help!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-05-05, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday morning I noticed about a 5" crack in my windshield at the bottom, about center.

Tonight, it has grown to about 1 1/2 ft. angling towards the passenger side.

I can't 'feel' it when i run my hand over it, but obviously it's cracked and needs fixed.

What do you do about this? replace the entire windshield? can they fill in the crack?
Is driving it totally unsafe, or am I okay for a few days?
It's a 2001 Grand am--any idea of how much this will cost me?

help!
Old 01-05-05, 01:18 AM
Suspended

open the phone book and look under 'windshields' or 'autoglass', call some places and get a estimate, if your deductable is low enough most times a windshield can be free.
Old 01-05-05, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Forum Troll
open the phone book and look under 'windshields' or 'autoglass', call some places and get a estimate, if your deductable is low enough most times a windshield can be free.

I obviously know how to find an autoglass place to fix it.. i just was wondering if anyone knew if they'd need to replace the entire windshield or fill it in like they do for chips from rocks.
Old 01-05-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Definately check your insurance. Both are probably covered. I would probably have it filled, but the problem you will run into is this time of year they grow daily because of the cold outside and the warm in the car while running, then the cold as it sits. They can fill it, but cracks that big don't fill well enough that you won't notice it. I do believe that is a proper double negative sentence
Old 01-05-05, 01:42 AM
Banned

http://www.rockchiprepairkits.com/
Old 01-05-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

something like that, i'd rather replace the whole thing.

its not too expensive.
Old 01-05-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Um, no, you aren't going to be able to repair an 18" crack. I've heard two different standards used when determining whether a crack could be fixed or not, one is if it can be covered by a quarter, and the other if it can be covered with a credit card.

You'll be fine for a few days, unless the crack is in your eyesight as you are driving and looking forward.

As for the cost, I dunno, call three to five different glass places and get quotes. It can range anywhere from $150 up to $500 or so (labor included), depends on the curvature of the glass I think. If I had to make a guess, I'd say $250, but that's just a wild-ass guess. But definately call at least a few places, prices do vary from place to place.

Or, if you want to go the cheap route, go to a junkyard and buy a windshield, and put it in yourself. When I did this about 15 years ago I got two prices from the junkyard, one was something like $30 paid in cash in advance with me doing the removal (if it broke, too bad), the other was something like $60 with them taking it out and guaranteeing it to be intact (I went the cheap route, of course, and removed it without any trouble). Of course, when I was installing it into my car I had a friend with me who had a job in a glass company installing windshields, so I guess I really didn't do that much work in putting the windshield in. But it's just a matter of removing trim, popping the old windshield out (using a thin wire like piano wire), cleaning the old gunk out, putting new putty on and putting the windshield back in, then putting the trim back on.

Last edited by Heat; 01-05-05 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-05-05, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat is right, it won't be fillable. As far as safety, it's not as safe, but I've known people to drive for years without replacing the windshield. If you have the money, replace it and give yourself peace of mind. I'm not sure about the legality of it though.
Old 01-05-05, 04:26 AM

Are you this guy?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403595
Old 01-05-05, 04:42 AM
Banned

Replace the glass. If it's smaller than roughly a quarter (never heard of the credit card comparison) then they can fill it with epoxy or superglue or whatever, and this will prevent it from spreading or cracking further. My front windshield has had this done twice in two spots. It's not invisible, but it's small enough that you generally don't notice.

But a crack like that, no, it's windshield replacement time. If you can feel the crack then it definitely needs to be replaced.
Old 01-05-05, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was just the thread I needed! My windshield got chipped and now there's a hole through it!

Either way, I feel more comfortable getting it filled, since it's still under the size of a quarter.... Thanks!
Old 01-05-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bloomiesgirl
I obviously know how to find an autoglass place to fix it.. i just was wondering if anyone knew if they'd need to replace the entire windshield or fill it in like they do for chips from rocks.
"Filling" is limited to a pock mark that has no cracks radiating from it. They'll have to replace from your description.
Old 01-05-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by victant
This was just the thread I needed! My windshield got chipped and now there's a hole through it!

Either way, I feel more comfortable getting it filled, since it's still under the size of a quarter.... Thanks!
Talk to your insurance company. I know that my insurer, State Farm, will pay to repair a cracked winshield with no deductible.
Old 01-05-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk God

My first car had a crack about 12" long and it was "sealed", but it also depends on where the crack is. This started in the bottom corner and ended in the side. That's the key. It couldn't go any further, so they were able to use some crap that kept it from spreading.
Old 01-05-05, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldDude
"Filling" is limited to a pock mark that has no cracks radiating from it. They'll have to replace from your description.
Not entirely true. Minor small cracks can radiate from it, as long as the total size is smaller than a quarter. One of mine is like that. He drilled a tiny hole in the center, stuck the glue applier thing on there, heated it up to expand it and suck the glue in, then let it cool to solidify it. Works fine.
Old 01-05-05, 09:16 PM

Thank you all for your insight & advice!

I most likely won't have a chance to get it looked at and/or fixed until next week due to a hectic work schedule.

I was afraid that you'd say filling it in wouldn't work.. so...i was prepared for that answer. I"m going to check with my insurance company and see what they'll cover for it.. I have a $500 deductible so most likely i'll be paying out of pocket.
Old 01-05-05, 11:30 PM

A few years ago my ranger truck got a crack in the windshield from flying debris.
I called up my car insurance agent and he gave me the name of a guy that replaces auto glass.
I called this guy and he came to my house the next day! Replaced the whole front windshield in my driveway in about an hour and a half!
My insurance paid all costs involved!!

Take care all!!
Old 01-05-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i know it was around $150 on a RX-7.
Old 01-05-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In Florida the state will pay for the repair. You might want to check your state's laws.
Old 01-06-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bloomiesgirl
I most likely won't have a chance to get it looked at and/or fixed until next week due to a hectic work schedule.
One of my ex-g/f's had hers replaced while she was at work. She said it was pretty cool getting off from work and walking out to a new windshield.
Old 01-06-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm proud of you guys and suspicious as the same time. I mean come on! This many posts and not one "Crack joke"? In this thread I've read "12 inch cracks", "18 inch cracks", "Filling cracks","covering cracks with quarters and credit cards","ex gf cracks", "spreading cracks" and etc.

So when did the alien overlords clone your originals and when did you come out of your cocoons?
Old 01-06-05, 10:02 AM
Banned

Giantrobo: What? Dude, Bloomiesgirl has a serious problem here with a busted windshield. Making jokes at her expense would be crass and rude. What kind of people do you think we are? Shame on you.
Old 01-06-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

18" Crack?! Show me the RECIEPTS!
Old 01-06-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sell auto Insurance and we offer full glass coverage in a lot of states that have colder climates. You may be in luck and not have to pay anything. Here in Texas not a big problem.
Old 01-06-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Otto
Giantrobo: What? Dude, Bloomiesgirl has a serious problem here with a busted windshield. Making jokes at her expense would be crass and rude. What kind of people do you think we are? Shame on you.

You are correct Otto. I stand in shame with my head lowered. But I did give you guys credit for not going in that direction so give me that.