Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Severe DMV quandry. how to find registered owner...?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-04-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The hub and I got rid of a car back in 2002. A fiero we basically gave away. We submitted the release of liability that same day to the DMV, but apparently the new owner has never registered the vehicle to himself.

Last year we found out that we're still liable for a car we don't even own because the DMV garnished the hub's unemployment check. We tried to get this resolved last year and I thought it had been resolved.

Now the DMV has garnished the hub's wages for an insane amount of money. It is up to us to furnish proof we no longer have the car. There was no bill of sale and the release of liability was already sent to the DMV. We only have the first name of the guy with the car.

Anyone able to help us find out the guy's name by Vin? 1G2AM37R8EP335668

Thanks.
Old 01-04-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If he never registered it, he wouldn't come up with a vin number. Also - he doesn't have his own license plate or insurance if that's the case.

How are you supposed to prove you DON'T have something? Shouldn't they have to prove you DO have it?

Search around the forum for "carfax" - someone may have gotten a 30 day thing of it and they can look up if he indeed owns it in some state.
Old 01-04-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the DMV has its own rules.

meanwhile, the penalties go up and up and up each year.

I have a sinking feeling the guy never registered the vehicle, but there is a chance he might have. I don't know.
Old 01-04-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When we gave the car away, the license plate said 2 M 4.
Old 01-04-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If he had registered it, the DMV wouldn't be garnishing your checks.
Old 01-04-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They apparently never got the release of liability either, even though it was mailed out that same day.
Old 01-04-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

they probably got it, but it never got filed.
Old 01-04-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If he parted out the car, he never would have registered it.
Old 01-04-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

VINs can say a lot about a car. This was an 1984 Pontiac Fiero, sports coupe "notchback" with manual seatbelts on aftermarket leather seats, without airbags, the engine is a 2.5 liter L4, and the radio was changed after you got it.

As for your problem, sorry, I think you guys are screwed. I'd talk to an attorney ASAP. Basically, the DMV (here in Illinois, and apparently in California also) considers that if you don't have a bill of sale and if the new owner hasn't registered it, you are still the owner and owe towing fees, storage fees, etc. What is somewhat common is for somebody to buy a beater (like this car), drive it till it drops, then leave it beside a road somewhere.

Out of curiosity, what are the charges that the DMV is saying that you owe? Towing & storage?

Also note that you didn't give it away in '02, you gave it (and the other two parts cars you had) away in the summer of '03, probably right after a yard sale, so it's not been registered for roughly a year and a half. If only EinTier had taken them...

Last edited by Heat; 01-04-05 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-04-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk God

You're in luck. I own a DMV. Up their rent if they won't tell you!

That or call a friend at the police station, I have done that a few times.

Lastly, you can get a list of all vehicles registered in your name, and it shouldn't be on there for you, that may be enough proof.
Old 01-05-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
How are you supposed to prove you DON'T have something? Shouldn't they have to prove you DO have it?
Now that's just asking to get moved to Politics Talk!

Old 01-05-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tell them it was stolen?
Old 01-05-05, 10:17 AM
Banned

Release of liability? Never heard of that. Is it some kind of California thing?

I've sold several cars to individuals, and all I ever did was sign the back of the title to sign it over to them. Whether they register it or not is not my problem. Can't see a DMV charging me for a car I don't own. I mean, if I didn't drive it on public roads I wouldn't even have to register it or anything.
Old 01-05-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Otto

I've sold several cars to individuals, and all I ever did was sign the back of the title to sign it over to them. Whether they register it or not is not my problem. Can't see a DMV charging me for a car I don't own. I mean, if I didn't drive it on public roads I wouldn't even have to register it or anything.

We have it in WA, too. You sign the back and rip off the "transfer of ownership" and send it in. If you don't, you are liable for towing, etc.
Old 01-06-05, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Otto

In the past that's all I did, but I've heard horror stories of people who sell a car and the new person doesn't register it, then does something with it (like abandon it, or wreck it into something) and the person who sold the car is liable for the damages, towing charges, storage fees etc because they can't prove that they sold the car.

Just get the person to sign a paper with the VIN saying that they purchased it, especially if the car isn't worth much (thus the person may be more likely to not bother registering it).
Old 01-06-05, 10:10 AM
Banned

In a related issue:

Is there any way possible to get someones contact info just from a license plate number? I assume this info isn't publicly accessible from the DMV.
Old 01-06-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Green Jello
In a related issue:

Is there any way possible to get someones contact info just from a license plate number? I assume this info isn't publicly accessible from the DMV.
*cough*stalker*cough*
Old 01-06-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

In a related issue:

I just call the police.
Old 01-06-05, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I just call the police.
And that works?

For example, if I call the police and say can I have the name and address of the owner of the car with plate DRW-345, they will just give it to me?
Old 01-06-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And that works?

For example, if I call the police and say can I have the name and address of the owner of the car with plate DRW-345, they will just give it to me?
Stop by the police station with the license plate number and a box of donuts, imply that you will give them the donuts if they give you the name and address associated with the licence plate number. If they balk, mention that there are some *jelly* donuts in the box, and you will point them out and give them (the person you are talking to) first dibs.

Post back what happens.
Old 01-10-05, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Heat
Stop by the police station with the license plate number and a box of donuts, imply that you will give them the donuts if they give you the name and address associated with the licence plate number. If they balk, mention that there are some *jelly* donuts in the box, and you will point them out and give them (the person you are talking to) first dibs.

Post back what happens.
Sorry I didn't post back earlier. I spent the weekend in jail.
Old 01-10-05, 01:33 PM
X
Administrator

What exactly are the fees the DMV is looking for? Registration?

Didn't you at least file a certificate of non-operation? Can you do it retroactively?