Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Best cat allergy medicine?

Old 01-04-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best cat allergy medicine?

New g/f has 2 cats

I sneeze and scratch and sniff like a mofo when I'm over there

What's the best medicine I can take before I go over there so I can get my groove on without blowing snot all over her ass

thx
Old 01-04-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never thought there'd be a day where it was just too much p***y for Scorcho to handle.
Old 01-04-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn old age.
Old 01-04-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does any of the OTC stuff like Benedryl or Claritan work? Maybe buying her some kind of air purifier to cut down on the cat dander?

Does Allerpet work for the animal?
Old 01-04-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are they kittens? If so, masturbate furiously and let god do his work.
Old 01-04-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
New g/f has 2 cats

I sneeze and scratch and sniff like a mofo when I'm over there

What's the best medicine I can take before I go over there so I can get my groove on without blowing snot all over her ass

thx
I used to give my brother-in-law stinging nettles whenever he'd come over for a visit. You can buy them in capsle form either at Wild Oats or the hippie section at Freddies.

Benedryl usually knocks me on my butt as does every other allergy meds so I usually go with something naturopathic.

There are some great anti-allergy cat shampoos available. I'm sure the two of you would lots of fun times bathing her new kitties.
Old 01-04-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well.... perhaps the best solution is to ... have her cats just... disappear one day.

paging Kvrdave
Old 01-04-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have her come over to your ho...oops. Nevermind.
Old 01-04-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

take some Claritin.
See, that's why i would never date a guy who's allergic to cats.
Old 01-04-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Nasonex and it helps greatly with cats for me. I'm sure this varies greatly from person to person as does any medication.
Old 01-04-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've said this before, but... go to pets mart or wherever and get something called "Outright - Allergy Relief From Cats"... have her rub it on the cats once every couple weeks for a month at first, then once a month for a few more months, then maybe once every 6 months to a year if you need it. It works really well and you don't have to take anything.
Old 01-04-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best thing you can do is see an allergist and start getting allergy shots. It sounds rough, but it's not. You can't even feel them. Even if you don't get more serious with this person, it will help you in the long run. I've been allergic to cats my whole life. When I met my current wife, she had a cat and I couldn't be at her place for more than a few hours. I started getting shots (twice per week at first). Right away there was a big difference. She ended up moving in with me about 4 months after I started the shots and I no longer had any problems around the cat (he moved in with her). It's been 4 years and now I give myself 1 shot per month in the leg. It's a very small guage needle and you can't even feel it. I'm no longer bothered by cats at all. It's a relief because if I ever used to spend the night at a friend or relatives house, I'd always have to ask if they had a cat first, and if so, I couldn't go. Now, I don't have to worry about it.

Stew
Old 01-04-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, with time, your body will become less sensitive to cats. When I had my scratch tests done a few years back (as an adult) the cat bump only came up halfway. The Dr said it was because I had lived with cats for so long. They still put it in my serum that I get every few weeks, and I get better and better.

Also, if they lick your skin or nip or scratch you, get Benadryl lotion to put on it. They'll try to clean my arm while I'm surfing the web and it will start itching so we keep a bottle right here at the computer desk.

As far as pills, I take Zyrtec, but it's prescription. OTC, probably Benadryl would be best. OTC cold medicine also helps when I'm just having a bad allergy day (I think it's triplodine and psuedoephedrine sulfates, might be generic Actifed?)

Edit to comment on the shots. I used to get them every week, then 2 weeks, now I'm up to 3 weeks. My insurance covers almost all of it except the copay. I was never horribly afraid of needles, but I sure as hell didn't like them. Now I'm almost mentally daring the nurse to make it hurt. I just think of that line from Lawrence of Arabia: "The trick is not that it doesn't hurt;, the trick is not minding that it hurts."
You can feel a little itchy at the injection site, and sometimes I need a nap after the shot to sleep off the worst of it, but it's never more than a day.

Last edited by milo bloom; 01-04-05 at 09:58 PM.