Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do people leave the dealer license plate frames on their cars?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-04-05, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get it. Why do people not get rid of those things? I could see it being lazy, but you have to take it off to put your plate on and then put the frame back on. PLEASE HELP!

In another issue, why to people accept those dealership tags that are either raised chrome letters or painted on. This seems to be bigger in the midwest and East than here out West. I would refuse to take the new car if they put that shit on it.
Old 01-04-05, 05:07 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Some people hate their cars and just use them till they fall apart.
Old 01-04-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Laziness. I never had to put my plate on. When I bought my current car, I traded in my old one and transferred the tags - the dealer took the plates off the old car and on to my new one. Heck, I never even notice it.
Old 01-04-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I left mine on in the event that I will drive to San Francisco at some point in the future to annoy Green Jello.
Old 01-04-05, 05:21 PM
Banned

I got a nice shiny chrome license plate frame for my mom's truck recently and when I went to install it she had the dealer frame on there. It'd had been there since she got the truck, like 7 or 8 years ago. I don't get it either.
Old 01-04-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

because i don't need to spend any money on a license plate holder that shines or anything else. It's a car and I have no reason to show off
Old 01-04-05, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by al_bundy
because i don't need to spend any money on a license plate holder that shines or anything else. It's a car and I have no reason to show off
Well, to be fair, I got that nice shiny license plate border for basically free. Got a gold one for my dad's car and a black one for my car while I was at it.

But I'd remove the advertising just because it's ugly and kinda crass. You might have no reason to spend money to make it look good, but throwing it away makes it look better and that's free.

I haven't bothered to remove the dealer badge on the back of my car yet, but I'll be doing that here soon. Five minutes with a hair dryer will do it. I've not seen them painted on, but I'd have made them repaint the entire car if I wanted one that had one of those things painted on the back of it.

Last edited by Otto; 01-04-05 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-04-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree with the 'don't care' philosophy. My car is there to get me from point a to point b. Nothing more. It's reliable, and I really don't give a shit what it looks like.

In addition, I keep the frame because it covers up the month on my registration tag. I've never been pulled over for being late in renewal.
Old 01-04-05, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by al_bundy
I'm not saying it has to be replaced with a nice shiny one. I just take it off all together. Why would you want to give free advertising on your car?
Old 01-04-05, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
In addition, I keep the frame because it covers up the month on my registration tag. I've never been pulled over for being late in renewal.
That's another reason why I hate them. It makes it hard to put the new stickers in the right spot.
Old 01-04-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Green Jello
I'm not saying it has to be replaced with a nice shiny one. I just take it off all together. Why would you want to give free advertising on your car?
The border thingies protect the edges of the license plate a little - and me, well I really don't care about giving them free advertising.

Besides, it only works if you're really looking at the license plate, and personally, I'd prefer it if you kept your eyes on the WHOLE car that's driving in front of you
Old 01-04-05, 07:44 PM

This makes me wonder if mine is even still on there..... Bought my car last year, my dad put my plates on.... this year I just had to add a sticker......

Can't rightly say I've ever even noticed.
Old 01-04-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get it either. Pretty obviously, it's simply because people are lazy (and "don't care" qualifies as laziness). I even make it a point to tell the salesman that I will not accept a car with any dealer branding on it. If they want me to drive around and advertise for them, I'll be happy to negotiate a monthly fee.
Old 01-04-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not necessarily. If you make an active decision not to care about the advertising (and I don't), then how is that laziness? Is it laziness to keep the bit of the car that has the model/company branding on it? Such as "Ford", etc? That's still advertising.

Personally, I think having a frame around the number plate makes it a little neater, and if the dealer supplies me one, then I couldn't care less whether it advertises their dealership or not.

Edit: And as the OP said, sometimes people take it off to refix the plate and then reattach it - which involves more work than simply leaving it off.
Old 01-04-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never see my plate frame, so I don't give a shit. if someone bought me a new plate frame that looked cool, I'd probably toss it in the back seat where it would sit for several months.
Old 01-04-05, 09:25 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my new plates yesterday for the M3, and the 1st thing done was remove the dealer plate, no dealer is getting free advertising from me.

I got pissed at BMW San Francisco when I took my last car in for a service, it came back with BMW Sf License plate frames.

effers
Old 01-04-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I don't get it either. Pretty obviously, it's simply because people are lazy (and "don't care" qualifies as laziness). I even make it a point to tell the salesman that I will not accept a car with any dealer branding on it. If they want me to drive around and advertise for them, I'll be happy to negotiate a monthly fee.
Why does that equal laziness? I haven't taken my dealer frames off yet because they don't bother me.

How does that make me lazy?
Old 01-04-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Screw Dealerships. I took mine right off and put one of those chrome "Durango" holders on.
Old 01-04-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
Why does that equal laziness? I haven't taken my dealer frames off yet because they don't bother me.

How does that make me lazy?
The simple fact that you used the word "yet" indicates that you will remove it at some point, but haven't gotten around to it. Hence, lazy.
Old 01-04-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I take that frame off before I even drive the vehicle off of the lot. Not only that, but the last 3 vehicles I've purchased, I told the dealer towards the end of the deal that I would only buy it if they removed their dealership logo from the car. That's real big here. Every dealership places a metal type sticker on the trunk that advertises their dealership. Each time they've taken that off for me. On one of them they actually had to repaint part of the trunk after it was removed. I just don't like advertising for others.

Stew
Old 01-04-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Green Jello
I don't get it. Why do people not get rid of those things? I could see it being lazy, but you have to take it off to put your plate on and then put the frame back on. PLEASE HELP!

In another issue, why to people accept those dealership tags that are either raised chrome letters or painted on. This seems to be bigger in the midwest and East than here out West. I would refuse to take the new car if they put that shit on it.

LAZINESS.

As far as the dealer tags on the back of the car-I stipulate that I will not take delivery if anything with the dealer's name is on the car.

Several times they tried to license plate route. I told them they could either pay me $100 to advertise for them or take them off immediately. They always take them off.
Old 01-05-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not caring does not equal laziness.

If I got something better, sure, I'd replace it. But life is too short to worry about dumb shit like that.
Old 01-05-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
The simple fact that you used the word "yet" indicates that you will remove it at some point, but haven't gotten around to it. Hence, lazy.
Actually, I'd forgotten about them until I read this thread. It just doesn't concern me enough to care.
Old 01-05-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yet you care enough to click on a thread about it and discuss it.
Old 01-05-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i pulled mine off after i bought the car. no biggie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.