Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

If you were a challenger on Iron Chef

Old 01-04-05, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you were a challenger on Iron Chef

And the battle were mackarel, which chef would you pick and what would you make?
Old 01-04-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Tv Talk
Old 01-04-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai...

Of all his fish battles, he has only lost one...
Old 01-04-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by muggins
Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai...

Of all his fish battles, he has only lost one...
So you want to lose? Remember, you are the challenger.
Old 01-04-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is he the Japanese or Chinese one?
Old 01-04-05, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Sakai is French. Chen is Chinese, and Michiba is Japanese (depending on when you watch).
Old 01-04-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd choose Masahiko Kobe.. let's see what kinda italian dishes he can come up with using mackeral.
Old 01-04-05, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'd choose Masahiko Kobe.. let's see what kinda italian dishes he can come up with using mackeral.
I'd pick him too, since he's never on the damn show.
Old 01-04-05, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It all depends on who the celebrity judges are.
Old 01-04-05, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They have an italian chef??
I just saw a show where Sakai lost to someone, i think they've all lost more than once.
Old 01-04-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trigger
It all depends on who the celebrity judges are.
Well, if Hosoki is judging, then I'd battle Morimoto. She's not too kind to Morimoto.

If it's anyone else, I'd still pick Kobe. Kurimoto kisses ass to Morimoto. And Tenmei Kano doesn't care for challengers too much.
Old 01-04-05, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-04-05, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by duff beer
I just saw a show where Sakai lost to someone, i think they've all lost more than once.
Yeah, on the original Iron Chef show, Sakai had something like 70 wins and 15 losses, and 1 draw.

On yesterday's showing of Iron Chef on the Food Channel the secret ingredient was lamb and the challenge was between Sakai and Micel Husser and Sakai lost.

Sakai also lost his first battle with fish against Bobby Flay, in one of the Iron Chef America showings taped in 2004. He also lost against Flay's team when it was him and Mario Batali against Flay and Masaharu Morimoto.
Old 01-04-05, 04:37 AM

Yeah, on the original Iron Chef show, Sakai had something like 70 wins and 15 losses, and 1 draw.

On yesterday's showing of Iron Chef on the Food Channel the secret ingredient was lamb and the challenge was between Sakai and Micel Husser and Sakai lost.

Sakai also lost his first battle with fish against Bobby Flay, in one of the Iron Chef America showings taped in 2004. He also lost against Flay's team when it was him and Mario Batali against Flay and Masaharu Morimoto.
Old 01-04-05, 04:42 AM

I wonder why Emeril never does the show??
Old 01-04-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cuz Emiril would just spice everything up to the point you couldn't taste anything but the BAM. Just watch his shows where he has a guest chef (like Sam Choy, Ming Tsai, Wolfgang Puck, etc.) and the both prepare something. Emiril just seasons the shit out of it and that's it.

Also muggins, Sakai lost to Flay because the American palatte is much different from the Japanese palatte. They probably deducted a shitload of points for the trout ice cream.
Old 01-04-05, 02:56 PM

Also muggins, Sakai lost to Flay because the American palatte is much different from the Japanese palatte. They probably deducted a shitload of points for the trout ice cream.
Definitely....raw trout ice cream just doesn't seem like something most Americans would enjoy.

I think it is also the opposite case for the original Iron Chef show, with it taking place in Japan, all of the iron chefs had a distinct advantage over foreign challengers.
Old 01-04-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by muggins
I think it is also the opposite case for the original Iron Chef show, with it taking place in Japan, all of the iron chefs had a distinct advantage over foreign challengers.
To some degree.. but how did Flay win over Morimoto in Japan? My take is that Flay gave them something new in his southwestern/tex mex grill. Something they don't have in Japan. I doubt Flay would know the difference in taste from a Maine Lobster to the Lobster in Japan. And he basically, breaded and deep fried a $100 lobster.

When Flay did the first challenge inthe states, Morimoto already had a huge following so he was almost guaranteed a win over Flay's boring tex mex.

Ron Siegel (from San Francisco) also won. And he was against Sakai using lobster as the themed ingredient. His dishes were pretty top notch and he deserved to win.
Old 01-04-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cuz Emiril would just spice everything up to the point you couldn't taste anything but the BAM. Just watch his shows where he has a guest chef (like Sam Choy, Ming Tsai, Wolfgang Puck, etc.) and the both prepare something. Emiril just seasons the shit out of it and that's it.

I love Emeril and cook a lot of his stuff and love it (also recently ate at his resturant in Orlando). But I don't see Emeril as a "classic" chef. While he may make a lot of receipts up they don't seem to follow traditional classical cooking methods (unless garlic is considered classical). I'm no expert, but his stuff seems quite different then the others. Tho I would have to agree that Bobby Flay seems to really stick to Southwest cooking which I'm sure would not be considered classical.
Old 01-04-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I love Emeril and cook a lot of his stuff and love it (also recently ate at his resturant in Orlando). But I don't see Emeril as a "classic" chef. While he may make a lot of receipts up they don't seem to follow traditional classical cooking methods (unless garlic is considered classical). I'm no expert, but his stuff seems quite different then the others.
I like Emeril, but the shows I've seen on Emeril Live where he has to come up with something off the top of his head, aren't very original. When he has a planned dish to prepare, it's something totally different. I think he can be a pretty worldly chef, but like anyone, when you're put in a pinch, you stick to what you know.

Now, Wolfgang Puck. Wow, he impressed me big time in his two battles on Iron Chef America. Not only did he do a generous number of different dishes, he finished with almost 10 minutes to spare. That's having knowledge of food and what can blend well together. I gave him a big .

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-04-05 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-04-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Emeril, but the shows I've seen on Emeril Live where he has to come up with something off the top of his head, aren't very original. When he has a planned dish to prepare, it's something totally different. I think he can be a pretty worldly chef, but like anyone, when you're put in a pinch, you stick to what you know.
I don't know about the American Iron Chef, but on the Japanese shows, the "secret" ingredient wasn't all that secret. The chefs were given a list of four possible ingredients days before the shoot, with the actual ingredient revealed on the show. This way they could plan dishes using each of the four possible ingredients ahead of time, and get what they needed into the studio.
Old 01-04-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm throw out the macheral (sp) and make deep fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. F' fish, give me the grease!!

-pedagogue
Old 01-11-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how do you make fried peantu butter sandwiches?
Old 01-11-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tommy28
I wonder why Emeril never does the show??
Because he'd get his ass handed to him. Bam!!
Old 01-11-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

how do you make fried peantu butter sandwiches?
The King is turning over in his grave.

You can make it like a really greasy grilled cheese (butter by the stick not teaspoon).

Damn you!! Now I want one.

-pedagogue