Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Argh! Self-righteous breeders!

Old 01-03-05, 03:46 PM

Argh! Self-righteous breeders!

Just where the flock do people get off telling you that you are selfish and immature for not reproducing?

Discuss.
Old 01-03-05, 03:50 PM

Oh, these threads always go well. Here comes 40+ posts of "Parents suck, kids suck."
Old 01-03-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Just how I would have expected a person not mature enough for kids to respond.
Old 01-03-05, 03:58 PM

Everybody sucks at one time or another

I don't care if somebody wants to have 20 kids. That's not the thing that frosts my apricots.

I hate being told shite like I'm selfish or immature because I chose not to have kids. I'm forty-three years old for chissake and it really pisses me off to be told by some twenty-something, never-been-nowhere-or-done-a-damned-thing-of-consequence, minivan driver that I am selfish and immature.
Old 01-03-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

if someone frosts your apricot, then there is a chance you've become a breeder.
Old 01-03-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought this thread was going to be about people mllefoo deals with who don't spay/neuter their dogs.
Old 01-03-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They say non-breeders are selfish because we aren't sharing in their misery.

I think women get it worse than guys with regards to reproducing. As soon as I got married, the parents were haranguing me to have kids.

Boy were they disappointed when I got myself fixed.
Old 01-03-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mllefoo
They say non-breeders are selfish because we aren't sharing in their misery.
I've seen what my parents went through trying to raise me and my two sisters. Not that we were trouble (we were good kids) or overly demanding - but kids just naturally require a lot of maintenance, time, effort, and money.

Having seen that, and having not been brainwashed into a cultural sheep, I can't believe so many people blithely stumble into parenthood. You're talking about giving up virtually all of eighteen years of your life. I think most parents were totally ignorant of the magnitude of sacrifice required.

So I believe that parents (at all stages) spend much of their time trying to justify their sacrifice. If they didn't knowingly want the commitment when they blundered into it, then they have to justify it on the back end. One good tactic: Conjure up some kind of moral responsibility to spawn, and take a "better than thou" position against those who don't fulfill this responsibility.

- David Stein
Old 01-03-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Boy were they disappointed when I got myself fixed.
Occupational hazard...
Old 01-03-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rhoda, thank you for not having children.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-03-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From a 'your place in this society' point of view (and the purely economical standpoint), you're expecting other people to pay for your welfare (should you need it). If you live so long, you may end up being a net burden on society - even after you consider what you've personally contributed. By having kids, your offspring are helping belay that cost.

An aging population (with no sign of correction) is very bad economically, but probably better environmentally. But is being pressured into breeding better?

From the other point of view, why have kids if you're not going to be a good parent? There are far too many screwed up kids without the need for further ones. People may abstain from having kids because they're selfish (the "I don't want to give up my lifestyle" approach), but remember that people sometimes also have kids because they are selfish (the "This kid will save our marriage/complete me" etc) without looking at whether they're going to be responsible parents.

Ultimately, just go with whatever makes you happy.
Old 01-03-05, 05:13 PM

I don't understand how not having kids makes one 'selfish.'

You're still paying taxes and yet you're not having children to 'use' the money in the school system...if anything, you're helping pay for THEIR kids...and that's selfish?

*shrug*

I wish more people would choose to remain childless...instead of just reproducing because the world expects them to...
Old 01-03-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*whew*...Here I thought this was going to one of those controversial gay/anti-gay threads. Good thing that didnt happen.
Old 01-03-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My life will not be complete without kids, but that doesn't mean everyone is the same. Live and let live. For me having children is one of the greatest things I hope to do in my life but if someone else chooses not to have kids, that's their choice like it's my choice to have them.

So not all of us breeders are bad
Old 01-03-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarman
I thought this thread was going to be about people mllefoo deals with who don't spay/neuter their dogs.
Or pet shop dog snobbery.

Everyone should have kids at least once, if they’re properly prepared and served with the correct wine.
Old 01-03-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm very allergic to apricots, one bite is enough to do me in. Weird, eh?

I don't think it's selfish at all to not have kids. If you know that you don't want to have them and you don't then that's what I think is very mature.

Personally, I think the government should set up free or low-cost clinics to do permanent sterilization for those who want it. Sure beats having babies aborted or stuffed in garbage cans because the mother didn't want to have the child in the first place.
Old 01-03-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wizdar
Everyone should have kids at least once, if they’re properly prepared and served with the correct wine.
Oh yeah. Welcome to my new sig! I love it!
Old 01-03-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sfsdfd
So I believe that parents (at all stages) spend much of their time trying to justify their sacrifice. If they didn't knowingly want the commitment when they blundered into it, then they have to justify it on the back end. One good tactic: Conjure up some kind of moral responsibility to spawn, and take a "better than thou" position against those who don't fulfill this responsibility.

- David Stein
I actually believe most people tell themselves this as well to justify not having them and convince themselves that they aren't missing out on anything. A lot of us just can't imagine not having kids....and some, like me, would not have believed that before we had them.
Old 01-03-05, 06:50 PM
Banned by request

Although the spawn of my loins could probably rule the world, I have no desire to spawn such children (unless it's through a sperm bank where I have no vested interest in their lives).

I'm planning to get a vasectomy in a few years, so that's it for this potential breeder.
Old 01-03-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I actually believe most people tell themselves this as well to justify not having them and convince themselves that they aren't missing out on anything. A lot of us just can't imagine not having kids....and some, like me, would not have believed that before we had them.
Oh, people who don't have kids are missing out on plenty. Three AM feedings; whining and crying because they don't want to go where you want to go; temper tantrums because their scarf is blue and their sister's scarf is red; paying for damage done to the nieghbor's windows which junior got caught practicing his BB gun on; being told they hate you because you won't let them stay out until 2 AM on a school night; coming up with bail money at 4 in the morning; getting to deal with the reefer smoke which permeates your basement even though your kid is 25 years old and should be working.

Yeah, they're missing out on a lot.
Old 01-03-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People who don't have kids are missing out on a lot.

People who do have kids are also missing out on a lot.

You only live so long. There's not enough time to do it all.

What really frosts Rhoda's apricot (if I can presume to speak for her) are self-rightous statements like yours -- statements that patronize the person who has chosen to become a parent. Clearly such a person must be some sort of stupid idiot, for how can anyone possibly not make the decision to have kids, given how much you enjoy having kids. I mean, I never go up to people in retsuarants and berate them for not ordering my favorite dish -- "You really don't know what you're missing if you don't eat the Chicaken Marseilles. I would have never thought the Chicken Marseilles could be so good until I had it myself, but now I know you have to have the Chicken Marseilles. You're a fool if you chose to order the Veal Parmagiana!"
Old 01-03-05, 07:03 PM
Banned by request

Hey, buddy, I LIKE veal parmagiana, so butt out!

Oh, wait, kids. Yeah.
Old 01-03-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I babysat for an infink once. Once.

The bastard parents paid me five bucks for four hours. What a ripoff. I was puked on, spat on, cried at, had slimy sticky fingers groping my clothes, and it took a week to get the diaper stink out of my clothes. Never again. Not for mine or anyone else's. I don't care if you think it's different when they're your own. The point is, I don't want to share in your "joy".
Old 01-03-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually believe most people tell themselves this as well to justify not having them and convince themselves that they aren't missing out on anything.
Probably true. Both cases involve post-hoc rationalization. Basically, anyone who feels an urge to characterize the other side as anything probably has some unresolved issues and repressed doubts.

I recognize both options as a crap shoot. I also recognize that, other things being equal, having kids is undoubtedly a bigger commitment, and undoubtedly a bigger risk, than not having kids. So, all things being equal - if you have doubts, don't have kids. Your greatest risk then is screwing up two lives, not three or more.

- David Stein
Old 01-03-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was puked on, spat on, cried at, had slimy sticky fingers groping my clothes, and it took a week to get the diaper stink out of my clothes.
Eh... that usually ends around age 22, when they've learned their tolerance levels.

- David Stein

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.