Another Laser Beam Incident!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-03-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U.S. Officials Probe Laser Beam Incident

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Federal officials are investigating an incident in which a laser beam was aimed at a jet after it left Nashville International Airport bound for Chicago.

Pilots of a United Airlines flight heading to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport on Sunday reported seeing a green laser beam shortly after takeoff, said United spokeswoman Robin Urbanski.

The flight, which had about 30 people on board, landed safely in Chicago.

The FBI (news - web sites) said it's investigating the incident along with the Transportation Security Administration and the Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites).

Federal agents are looking into similar incidents involving lasers and aircraft, including cases in Cleveland; Washington, D.C.; Houston; Colorado Springs, Colo.; Medford, Ore.; and Teterboro, N.J.

Laser beams can temporarily blind or disorient pilots and possibly cause a plane to crash. Federal law enforcement officials have said there is no evidence of a terrorist plot involving the laser beams.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say its UFO's and they have arrived just in time for War of the Worlds....
Old 01-03-05, 09:01 AM

I sure hope there were no sharks involved. THAT would be scary.
Old 01-03-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
My guess is it's people with laser pointers in some of the cases. That was the case in NJ last week. And now that it's on the news, other idiots with laser pointers are going to shine them up into the sky. Why are they even legal? Do they have a non-annoying purpose?
Old 01-03-05, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by RevLiver
Do they have a non-annoying purpose?
They are the greatest cat toy ever invented.
Old 01-03-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I sure hope there were no sharks involved. THAT would be scary.
Or killer bees. I think the killer bees have developed the power to create lasers that they shoot at airplanes. And that these super-smart killer bees were originally created through genetic engineering, involving fetal stem cells, by Osama bin Laden.

Michael Crichton, are you listening? This is gold!

- David Stein
Old 01-03-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
They are the greatest cat toy ever invented.
works for dogs too.... can a normal cat-toy laser pointer shine bright thousands of feet up in the sky?
Old 01-03-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RevLiver
Why are they even legal? Do they have a non-annoying purpose?
Have you never seen a projected presentation of any kind? e.g., a college lecture?

On second thought, if we can outlaw laser pointers, then we're one small step away from outlawing PowerPoint presentations. I'm all for it!

- David Stein
Old 01-03-05, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
works for dogs too.... can a normal cat-toy laser pointer shine bright thousands of feet up in the sky?
Only one way to find out...I'm off to the airport!
Old 01-03-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
I strongly suspect that when we get to the heart of these incidents, (a) they'll be completely unrelated and unintentional, but also (b) most of them will have involved lasers present in the cabin.

Planes move fast. Even if you wanted to, and even if you could aim one from the ground with the incredible precision needed to hit the plane, you would need to keep targeting the plane, somehow, as it zooms along at 300mph. That feat would make Lee Harvey Oswald look like a rank amateur.

- David Stein
Old 01-03-05, 09:15 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As soon as we outlaw lasers, only outlaws will have lasers.
Old 01-03-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
1/4 mile is about as far as I've shined a laser pointer. Just test it out at night on freeway signs as you come to an offramp exit.
Old 01-03-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One time my ex-gf's brother and I hooked up a couple of standard laser pointers to hit high powerered microscope. After about an 1/8th of a mile the bean widened and was almost impossible to see at greater distances. The dot that was projected was pretty big at the other end.
Old 01-03-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
One time my ex-gf's brother and I hooked up a couple of standard laser pointers to hit high powerered microscope. After about an 1/8th of a mile the bean widened and was almost impossible to see at greater distances. The dot that was projected was pretty big at the other end.

Old 01-03-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew batman had something to do with this.....
Old 01-03-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After the NJ incident last week near an airport, the NJSP put a decoy chopper up in the air in hopes of (presumably) drawing in some laser fire.
Well it worked!
Well sort of.
They did get spot laser activity, determined where it came from, and a combined federal, state, and local SWAT type team raided this guy's house and took him away to the shock of neighbors.

It turned out that the guy is apparently just a "gadget freak" who was out in his back yard playing with a laser pointer with his daughter. They were shining it on trees and stuff.

Don't know if this guy was just a victim of bad luck or his own foolish stupidity.
Old 01-03-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pilots of a United Airlines flight heading to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport on Sunday reported using marijuana and becoming way too paranoid.
Old 01-03-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Smart missile to home in on laser light. Problem solved.
Old 01-03-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally Posted by sfsdfd
Have you never seen a projected presentation of any kind? e.g., a college lecture?

On second thought, if we can outlaw laser pointers, then we're one small step away from outlawing PowerPoint presentations. I'm all for it!

- David Stein
Exactly. That's not a non-annoying purpose.
Old 01-03-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(b) most of them will have involved lasers present in the cabin.

That's what I was thinking too. I wonder if it's just some gauge on the dashboard that kicks in by itself.
Old 01-03-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mike45
Smart missile to home in on laser light. Problem solved.
Bzzzt! Smart bombs home on laser reflections, not laser sources. You point your laser at what you want to go boom, the smart bomb goes there.
Old 01-03-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-03-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"...if they bring a Jet to the fight, you bring a laser.
if they bring a laser, you bring a laser with a microscope and your ex's brother."
Old 01-03-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wabio
That's what I was thinking too. I wonder if it's just some gauge on the dashboard that kicks in by itself.
Damnit, Bob, I thought I told you to turn the laser guage OFF!!
Old 01-03-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Planes move fast. Even if you wanted to, and even if you could aim one from the ground with the incredible precision needed to hit the plane

- David Stein
I'd be willing to bet I could get it in the cockpit if I had a pointer with the needed range here at Buffalo where the landing planes fly low and slow over the parking lot for the mall. Considering I've seen the eyes of passengers that are looking out the window as it goes by. Hit the pilot in the face? only with luck as the angle wouldn't be quite right. Get the laser to make a dot in the cockpit? I'm 99% sure I could do it at least a couple times in a day if I sat in the parking lot all day.

from a post I made at another forum where the laser thing was being discussed, not directly in response to the post I'm quoting above, but I might as well add it here
I guess it depends on the wind for which runway they use, but at Buffalo's airport the planes either come in low over the parking lot for the biggest mall in the area, or low over a smaller mall and area with a lot of restaurants and other businesses. be easy as hell to pull up in a van and pull out a stinger, or laser, or gun, or 5 million candle power spotlight, etc. and point it into the cockpit or shoot it at the plane. Granted the gun would do little to no real damage without an extremely lucky shot, but it could be done
Old 01-03-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Bzzzt! Smart bombs home on laser reflections, not laser sources. You point your laser at what you want to go boom, the smart bomb goes there.
NEVER let your smart bomb look in the rear view mirror.

From the POV of the bomb's electronics, there is not much difference in the spot the laser makes shining on something and looking backwards at the light, except a 180° angle.

In Gulf II, when the Iraqis tried jamming GPS signals, we quickly redesigned a receiver to home on the signal. Since real GPS satellites are over 100 miles high, the bombs couldn't reach them, ones on the ground are targets; "if you can reach it, blow it up"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.