Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Who's gonna put together the "Best Otter Thread of 2004" poll?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-02-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didnt we do this last year?...unfortunatly I had missed the origional runs of all the 2003 nominees, so I might not be qualified.
Old 01-03-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sounds like it is all you
Old 01-03-05, 08:36 AM

This thread is a shoe-in for the 2005 awards.
Old 01-03-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
sounds like it is all you
I tend to miss all the good non-sence threads...could we have a day of nominations?

Anyone?
Old 01-03-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think kantonburg should start it.
Old 01-03-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

don't we have some president or something to do this kind of carp? why else do we have elected officials in otterville?
Old 01-03-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

j123vt_99

don't we have some president or something to do this kind of carp? why else do we have elected officials in otterville?
As President, I appoint Tommy Ceez in charge of "this kind of carp."

das
Old 01-03-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the question is "who" should do it but rather "why" it should it be done.
Old 01-03-05, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
I don't think the question is "who" should do it but rather "why" it should it be done.
Wow, looks like we got a philosopher on the board. Quit posting, and get back to cooking my fries!
Old 01-03-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
Because if it wasnt for last years 'Best of' I would never have read the Crayon or Top Bunk saga.
Old 01-03-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys are right...we SHOULDNT have a best of thread, we should continue to bring teh fun by arguing about Congresses regulatory power as it relates to Satelite radio and how cheap Bush is in reference to tsunami's.
Old 01-03-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I think kantonburg should start it.
How did I get thrown in here? I'm just a peon here. Shouldn't our President handle all this stuff???
Old 01-03-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Agreed.
Old 01-03-05, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
i for one would very much like to see a monkey do a carp.
Old 01-03-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by costanza
i for one would very much like to see a monkey do a carp.

hell, make it a 3way with a monkey, a carp and an otter
Old 01-03-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First, we need a nominations thread.
Old 01-03-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great. Who's gonna put together the "Best Otter Thread of 2004 nominations" thread? Maybe we need a new thread to find out who it will be.
Old 01-03-05, 04:41 PM

This forum has the biggest collection of lazy SOB's on the Internet. Our family crest should read "Can't Someone Else Do It?"
Old 01-03-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
This forum has the biggest collection of lazy SOB's on the Internet. Our family crest should read "Can't Someone Else Do It?"
why don't you draw one up?
Old 01-03-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[somebody create a funny photochop to put here. maybe a sign that reads best thread 2004 and then somebody thinking about making it but not making it. email it to me, i'll suggest some changes, and when I like it I'll post it. Thanks]
Old 01-03-05, 04:51 PM

Man, everyone is lazy! If someone nominates some, I'll vote. Probably.
Old 01-03-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

boron cowpunch?

i was kicked out of a video store?

bandoman comes clean?
Old 01-03-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Third Baseman
First, we need a nominations thread.
Wait, whoa, don't get ahead of things.

First, we need to form a committee to decide whether we need a Best Otter Thread of 2004 poll. We should also form a separate task force, with no more than 50% overlap with the committee, on what such a thread should be named, if so created.

Second, if the first committee should decide that a Best Otter Thread of 2004 poll is warranted, we need a committee to draft a mission statement that sets forth the purpose of the thread. That draft will be reviewed by the first committee, but the votes of any members who sat on both committees will only have 60% of the strength of votes by members exclusive to the second committee. Should the second committee garner a majority (50.01%+) of a vote put before quorum (at least 60% of the members of the second committee must cast an affirmative vote), then we can move on to the next stage.

Third, a special session of the DVD Talk Board of Moderators will convene to discuss which form of rules to use to govern the proceedings. It is likely that Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure will be used, but this has to be ratified, as per ordinary organizational processes.

Fourth, a delegation of members from the first committee will meet to draft the actual nominations. This draft will contain between six- (6) and twelve- (12) nominations. This draft must be approved by a majority (50.01%+) of the exclusive members of the second committee. If so approved, the draft will be submitted to the special session of the DVD Talk Board of Moderators, who will have veto power if so agreed to by a supermajority (66.67%+) of the Board. Also, if the Board makes a motion that is supported by a supermajority (66.67%) of the Board to adopt line-item veto power, then they shall have that power. In case of failure of approval by the second committee, or in case of veto, the draft will return to the first committee, which shall prepare and submit a new draft within thirty- (30) days. If the draft is approved at all stages, then it will proceed.

Fifth, the approved draft will be tendered as a poll thread, whereby any member of DVD Talk over the age of 18 will be permitted to vote on nominations. Every such member of DVD Talk must submit reliable proof of age, preferably a government document such as a birth certificate, to a moderator and/or administrator for validation of voting privileges. (Moderators and/or administrators are presumed to have qualified by age as a condition of moderator and/or administrator appointment, and so need no validation.) The thread will be created only by GKleinman, and must be created within thirty- (30) days of the approval of the final draft by the DVD Talk Board of Moderators. The top four- (4) nominations that garner the most votes from this poll thread shall be passed along to the final voting stage. Any voting irregularities will be presided over by the Advisory Caucus of Other Forum Polls, which shall be allowed to request either delay of the final voting stage or a recount to be held within thirty- (30) days of the date of such request. Such request must be specified by the Advisory Caucus of Other Forum Polls within fourteen- (14) days of the close of voting for nominations.

Sixth and finally, GKleinman shall create an Official Poll containing exactly the four- (4) nominations chosen in step five (5). All DVD Talk members of age 18 and above may vote for one- (1) nomination out of these four. (Those members who provided a government certificate as proof of age in order to qualify for voting in the nominations thread shall be automatically qualified to vote in the Official Poll. All those who did not tender a government certificate must re-certify their age no more then seventy-two- (72) hours before the opening of the Official Poll.) The Official Poll shall remain open for seventy-two- (72) hours, at which time it shall be closed. The results shall be examined solely by Ms. Katherine Harris, the Taskmistress of the Official Poll, who shall submit an Official Report of voting results to an Advisory Council within seven- (7) days of the closing of the Official Poll. If the Advisory Council finds no irregularities with the Official Report, it shall remit the Report to GKleinman, who shall announce the result of the poll in the Other Forum. If irregularities appear, as may be agreed upon by a person of reasonable doubt, then all voters shall report to the federal district court of Broward County, Florida to testify as to their votes, and the federal district court shall decide on a mechanism for resolving any such irregularities and certifying the winner of the Official Poll.

As if we'd proceed any other way. We have rules here - no need to be rash.

- David Stein
Old 01-03-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like we have a winner. Or three.
Old 01-03-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sfsdfd
Wait, whoa, don't get ahead of things.

First, we need to form a committee to decide whether we need a Best Otter Thread of 2004 poll. We should also form a separate task force, with no more than 50% overlap with the committee, on what such a thread should be named, if so created.

Second, if the first committee should decide that a Best Otter Thread of 2004 poll is warranted, we need a committee to draft a mission statement that sets forth the purpose of the thread. That draft will be reviewed by the first committee, but the votes of any members who sat on both committees will only have 60% of the strength of votes by members exclusive to the second committee. Should the second committee garner a majority (50.01%+) of a vote put before quorum (at least 60% of the members of the second committee must cast an affirmative vote), then we can move on to the next stage.

Third, a special session of the DVD Talk Board of Moderators will convene to discuss which form of rules to use to govern the proceedings. It is likely that Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure will be used, but this has to be ratified, as per ordinary organizational processes.

Fourth, a delegation of members from the first committee will meet to draft the actual nominations. This draft will contain between six- (6) and twelve- (12) nominations. This draft must be approved by a majority (50.01%+) of the exclusive members of the second committee. If so approved, the draft will be submitted to the special session of the DVD Talk Board of Moderators, who will have veto power if so agreed to by a supermajority (66.67%+) of the Board. Also, if the Board makes a motion that is supported by a supermajority (66.67%) of the Board to adopt line-item veto power, then they shall have that power. In case of failure of approval by the second committee, or in case of veto, the draft will return to the first committee, which shall prepare and submit a new draft within thirty- (30) days. If the draft is approved at all stages, then it will proceed.

Fifth, the approved draft will be tendered as a poll thread, whereby any member of DVD Talk over the age of 18 will be permitted to vote on nominations. Every such member of DVD Talk must submit reliable proof of age, preferably a government document such as a birth certificate, to a moderator and/or administrator for validation of voting privileges. (Moderators and/or administrators are presumed to have qualified by age as a condition of moderator and/or administrator appointment, and so need no validation.) The thread will be created only by GKleinman, and must be created within thirty- (30) days of the approval of the final draft by the DVD Talk Board of Moderators. The top four- (4) nominations that garner the most votes from this poll thread shall be passed along to the final voting stage. Any voting irregularities will be presided over by the Advisory Caucus of Other Forum Polls, which shall be allowed to request either delay of the final voting stage or a recount to be held within thirty- (30) days of the date of such request. Such request must be specified by the Advisory Caucus of Other Forum Polls within fourteen- (14) days of the close of voting for nominations.

Sixth and finally, GKleinman shall create an Official Poll containing exactly the four- (4) nominations chosen in step five (5). All DVD Talk members of age 18 and above may vote for one- (1) nomination out of these four. (Those members who provided a government certificate as proof of age in order to qualify for voting in the nominations thread shall be automatically qualified to vote in the Official Poll. All those who did not tender a government certificate must re-certify their age no more then seventy-two- (72) hours before the opening of the Official Poll.) The Official Poll shall remain open for seventy-two- (72) hours, at which time it shall be closed. The results shall be examined solely by Ms. Katherine Harris, the Taskmistress of the Official Poll, who shall submit an Official Report of voting results to an Advisory Council within seven- (7) days of the closing of the Official Poll. If the Advisory Council finds no irregularities with the Official Report, it shall remit the Report to GKleinman, who shall announce the result of the poll in the Other Forum. If irregularities appear, as may be agreed upon by a person of reasonable doubt, then all voters shall report to the federal district court of Broward County, Florida to testify as to their votes, and the federal district court shall decide on a mechanism for resolving any such irregularities and certifying the winner of the Official Poll.

As if we'd proceed any other way. We have rules here - no need to be rash.

- David Stein
You're a manager, aren't you?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.