Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How to tell a new neighbor not to pork his car in front of my house

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-02-05, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so my new neighbor has parked his old and busted minivan in front of my house for 3 days now. What is the right way to tell him not to park his cars in front of my house.
Old 01-02-05, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A couple of these and I think he'll get the point.
Old 01-02-05, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ask nice...at the same time know that if he is parking on the street he has every right to do so. play nice
Old 01-02-05, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
ask nice...at the same time know that if he is parking on the street he has every right to do so. play nice
Old 01-02-05, 03:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

When I Was Parking My Car In Front Of Our House The Police Came And Ticketed It For Leaving It There For Too Long. Check To See If Your City Has Similar Codes.

Kthxbye
Old 01-02-05, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apparently it's all or nothing with the shift key on these boards.
Old 01-02-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I was in college we had a next door neighbor that had "his spot" on the street in front of his house. If you parked there he left notes on your car. We didn't park there, because in the end it wasn't worth the headache to have him overly anxious to get back at us for parking in his spot, he was already bad enough about very small get togethers we had.

I would say be nice, but be understanding, nothing says he can't park there as he doesn't leave it there for too long (most cities have ordinances).
Old 01-02-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I know its a public street and its his right but it just seems kind of low class.
Old 01-02-05, 03:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

No Really There Should Be A Statue That Says He Has To Move His Car Every So Often.
Old 01-02-05, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate when that happens! When Ilived in LA the neighbor acroos the street would park their car in front of our house even when there was plenty parking in front of their house. I think they would drive on to the street and just park because they were too lazy to turn the car around and park on their side.
Old 01-02-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
No Really There Should Be A Statue That Says He Has To Move His Car Every So Often.

He can park it in front of his house for all I care but not in front of mine.
Old 01-02-05, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by damn_skippy
He can park it in front of his house for all I care but not in front of mine.
Is he preventing you from parking one of your vehicles there or are you just sick of seeing it there? I can't think of a delicate way to ask him if it is the latter. Part of having neighbors is dealing with dumb stuff like this from time to time.
Old 01-02-05, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What the pig is saying is that after the car has been parked on the street for a certain number of days, if never moved, it will be considered an abandoned or junk vehicle. This happened to my dad a long time ago. He had an old Mustang he was hoping to eventually fix up. It ran, but he hardly ever drove it, and eventually he got a ticket. Apparently somebody called it in. In this case it was the street sweepers, so he paid the ticket and continued leaving the Mustang where it was, but it was the first time anyone in my family had heard of such a law.
Old 01-02-05, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Is he preventing you from parking one of your vehicles there or are you just sick of seeing it there? I can't think of a delicate way to ask him if it is the latter. Part of having neighbors is dealing with dumb stuff like this from time to time.

I agree.

I was thinking something like

"Hey brother you dont plan to keep parking your cars in front of my house do you?"

Or

"Hey my man your van doesnt leak oil does it?"

Last edited by damn_skippy; 01-02-05 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-02-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's probably a "In Lieu Of Garage" statute, which is most likely a 30-day law.

Ask nice once. Ask firmly the second time. Have his car towed the 3rd time. You have a right to space in front of your place, and he needs to use his own space. It's common courtesy and if he doesn't understand that, then boo-hoo.

I'm sure his vehicle has a few note-worthy citations just waiting to be discovered--and cities around the country are very broke so they will be more than happy to fine the dumbass, so a nice call to the non-emergency police number and they will transfer you to Traffic--or they should anyway.
Old 01-02-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had that problem when we were trying to sell our house in Az. The guy across the street kept parking his rusty old car has been "working on" in front of our house. I asked once making up the excuse the post man couldn't put mail in our box. But all he did was pull forward a little. So then I told him we were trying to sell the house and could he not park there at all. He got all huffy and said it was a public street.

Well in our case of course it was a public street. But in Az we have very strict HOA's that include not parking any car overnight in the street. So, just called the HOA and that took care of it. I actually hated doing it as I really hate Az HOA's. And had I not been selling the house I probably would have been ok with it.

I agree with others. Be nice, tell them your visitors have had to park elsewhere, etc.
Old 01-02-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In PA it is ILLEGAL to park and un-inspected or un-insured car on a public street.

If that is the situation, I would call the police aask them to ticket the car.

You could always aske the guy to move it as well, but the police solution is the best IMO.
Old 01-02-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Get a fake fire hydrant. When your neighbor parks in front, position the fire hydrant and telephone the police. When they leave a ticket on the car, take the ticket from the windshield and remove the fire hydrant. Continue doing this until the police have no choice but to tow the car away for too many unpaid parking tickets.
Old 01-02-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Call it in as an abandoned car.
Old 01-02-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
If it's not abandoned, still runs, has a valid inspection sticker, he drives it and just parks it there each day, then he has every right to park there as it is a public street.
Old 01-02-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Dear Neighbor.... meet my little friend...

Old 01-02-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My father has been at odds with our neighbor for the past couple of years now. The neighbor insists on keeping all 3 of his cars on the street, because he doesn't want to keep his cars in the driveway as they make the house look less attractive.

With that, they are frequently parking in front of our house, and could use the space. My father point blank told him not to park there, and went even as far as too to tell him not to have the car that blocks his driveway to slightly spill over onto our side.
Old 01-02-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In California, you can leave a car on the street without moving it for 72 hours before it is red-tagged. Once it's red-tagged, it will be towed within a day or two.

I once had a next door neighbor who got her panties in a twist when anyone parked in front of her house. Hell, if your BUMPER was six inches over the property line on the street, she'd call the cops. Every time. We had company over on christmas eve, and they parked so their bumper was barely over the line (parked legally), and she had the cops over instantly.
Old 01-02-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by evitagen
Get a fake fire hydrant. When your neighbor parks in front, position the fire hydrant and telephone the police. When they leave a ticket on the car, take the ticket from the windshield and remove the fire hydrant. Continue doing this until the police have no choice but to tow the car away for too many unpaid parking tickets.
My God! It's GENIUS, I tell you!
Old 01-02-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, why doesn't this guy park in front of his own house or driveway? I mean honestly not everyone has a nice car and wanting someone to move it just because it isn't a benz or bmw is kind of wrong. However if he can park in front of his own house then i do agree that he should. My point being that the type of car should not have even been brought up as it shoudln't matter what kind it is, only that he is in essence ivading your space.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.