Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I hate fireworks!!

Old 01-01-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate fireworks!!

The rat bastard kids next door must have won the lottery, invited 40 other kids over & spent all the winnings on fireworks! They started blasting last night (12/31) at about 8:30 and stopped about 1:00-1:30 A.M.. They have been going off randomly all day today (as per my neighbor) and I'm about done with it! My patience is running thin.

The major problem is that it scares the hell out of my dog and she's been going nuts. She whines and won't leave my side as she's scared. She even dug underneath my fence today to escape as a neighbor called me today at work to tell me that they had her. She's never done anything like that.

I've considered calling the police, but they will not really do anything. I live in a gated community and there is a perfect place to use the fireworks at the end of my street. It's an open area and not next to any homes. I guess I just wanted to rant. Thanks for listening....

Sonic
Old 01-01-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you could convince them of how utterly cool it would be to set them all off at once... then at least it'd be over and done with.

Post pics!
Old 01-01-05, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

You are getting old... Let the kids be kids for a half a day
Old 01-01-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
You are getting old... Let the kids be kids for a half a day
Half a day? It's a bit more than that.

I asked them politely to take the party to the end of the cul de sac and they were smartasses and stated they could do what they wanted in the street & to f-off. I explained that it was freaking my dog out & they didn't care.

I went back inside and next thing I know, one of the little bastards set off a pack of firecrackers on MY doorstep! I have a surveillance camera on the porch and had it all on tape.

I have a deputy sheriff buddy & called him on his cell. Needless to say, the kiddies have now stopped after he reminded the parents that there is an ordinance banning fireworks in the city limits. He told them that they (parents) would be held responsible if there were any further use of them. The parents were super-nice and apologized to me. It's difficult to deny when you've been caught on camera!
Old 01-01-05, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Sonicflood
Half a day? It's a bit more than that.
Okay, it's a day...

This is typical in a gabazillion towns for a gabazillion years (well since fireworks have been around. Before that I think they threw chickens in the air).

Let the kids have some fun, sheesh...
Old 01-01-05, 10:49 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kids will be kids, they all deserve a good smack!
Old 01-01-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sonicflood
I live in a gated community
I guess you better petition the neighborhood to screen out any future lottery winners
Old 01-02-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I try to remember being a kid and setting fireworks off all the time... but some neighbors around here seem to have parties on major holidays and I assume get drunk and think it's a good idea to shoot off fireworks at 1:30 a.m. It's annoying if i'm sleeping and have to figure out wtf is going on. Plus most fireworks are illegal in the state and absolutly prohibited in the nieghborhood. I just think it's one of those things for the more rual area's and not appropriate for the planned, crammed together communities.
Old 01-02-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lucky you don't live in Hawaii.
Old 01-02-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, some kids were shooting off fireworks in the Apartment parking area next to me. It is illegal in the city limits and you know how you hear those stories about fires started by not-so smart people. I was more concerned about other peoples cars than anything else.

Sure, it is fun until something goes wrong......
Old 01-02-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Give your dog one of these and they won't have any clue what's going on around them.
Old 01-02-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate fireworks too. Here in London, we had a 1m fireworks display at midnight to celebrate the New Year. Just before that, we had a 2 min silence for the victims of the tsunami and they asked us to pledge money. Um, irony?

A new law came into place just recently and it is now illegal to private individuals to let off fireworks after 11pm. I have to say, it's cut down quite a bit on the late night annoyances