Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Tokyo Tours and Hotel Recommendations?

Old 01-01-05, 06:23 AM

Tokyo Tours and Hotel Recommendations?

Hi, I teach English in Northern Japan and want to visit Tokyo for a couple of days after New Years. Last time I was in Tokyo was for my progam's orientation so I didn't get to sight-see at all or anything like that.

Does anyone have any recommendations for tours or hotels in Tokyo? I'd like to spend maybe 4-5 days there before heading back before schools starts again.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

try and walk everywhere as most forms of motorized transport there are pricey from what I hear.
Old 01-01-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I don't recall offhand if it lists any good places to stay (aside from love hotels), but this site: http://www.quirkyjapan.or.tv/

does have a lot of other good info including some cool places to visit.
Old 01-01-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just in Tokyo about 3 weeks ago. It's a very exciting and vibrant city and often compared to Manhattan. I'd have to agree.

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Metropolitian - Tokyo, which I won via Priceline for $100/night. (If you've never bid for a hotel via Priceline, e-mail me and I'll help you out). The hotel itself was okay -- nothing too spectacular, but a lot better than the ryoken I stayed at in Kyoto. The real nice thing was the hotel staff spoke very good english (if that's an issue for you) and they had *free* internet access in the hotel business center.

I'm not a big fan of all day "horse and pony show" type tours, but I only had 2 1/2 days in Tokyo, so I resorted to an all day tour offered by Grey Line Tours. It's a pretty good tour and it came (somewhat) recommended by the hotel concierge. I would probably recommend the tour without the lunch option -- and you'll save 2,000. (Lunch for the group is in the Ginza district, and it's real easy to have lunch on your for much less than that. The lunch offered by the tour company is a traditional Japanese lunch, which if you're already living in Japan, I'm sure you've done it before). The tour ended around 6pm, and a little earlier if you want the tour to end in one of the neighborhoods (which I chose).

Depending on how much time you have on your own, you may want to explore some of Tokyo on your own -- it's pretty simple to navigate the JR lines, and each 'section' of Tokyo (that is worth visiting) is really a world all in it's own.

E-mail me if you have questions -- and enjoy Tokyo.

Last edited by ChiTownAbs, Inc; 01-01-05 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 07:59 AM

Well, I used lowestfare.com and booked 4 nights at the Akasaka Prince Hotel in downtown Tokyo for about 13000 a night, which while it seems a lot, is pretty cheap by Tokyo standards. I'm going to be in Tokyo from Tuesday until Saturday.

I'll probably do some kind of combination of commercial tours and wandering around the city by myself.

Thanks a lot for the help/advice ChiTownAbs. I'm really looking forward to seeing Tokyo.

Here's hoping I can schedule a tour of the Ghibli Museum!