Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffalo is trying real hard to get the first murder of the year out of the way

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-01-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about 15 minutes ago on the scanner I hear a female cop frantically screaming about "more shots fired, they fired at me"
Then talk of vicitims. few minutes later on the fire deptartment channel I hear the responding medics report finding 2 more victims down the street.
No idea on how severe, at this point I think they're all still alive though.

ETA: just heard on fire channel:
female: how many is that? Five?
male: I lost count at 4
female: do we need another ambulance?
Old 01-01-05, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I swear the world has gone to Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
just heard it's up to 6 victims, but none life threatening afterall
Old 01-01-05, 03:49 AM

at least we could have been first in something...
Old 01-01-05, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hytec
at least we could have been first in something...
lake affect snow?

Old 01-01-05, 09:18 AM

Go Bills!
Old 01-01-05, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sepen
Go Bills!
Old 01-01-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What are you people doing with all these police scanners?
Old 01-01-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Listening to the police?
Old 01-01-05, 01:50 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Moving to Scanner Talk...
Old 01-01-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We almost had our first murder here this morning when a neighbor decided that New Year's morning was a good time to rake a gravel lane outside our bedroom with a Bobcat.
Old 01-01-05, 03:46 PM
Banned

Why do people always place significance on the first murder of the year and so forth? It's just another frickin' day. The year marker is almost totally arbitary anyway.

I guess I just don't get it. It seems to be just another way to decry the violence in the streets and such.
Old 01-01-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

this says 4 were taken to the hospital, but responders on the scene definitely said 6 people get shot

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=25489
Four Shot Outside Buffalo Nightclub
Posted by: Robyn Young, Reporter

Buffalo police are investigating an apparent drive-by shooting that sent four people to ECMC just two hours into 2005.

Witnesses told authorities a black male in a black, four-door car drove by a line of people on Washington Street around 2am, and began firing at the crowd waiting to get into the Sphere nightclub.

Four people were taken to ECMC. They ranged in age from 20 to 29 according to police. Two were not seriously wounded, however, a 21-year-old woman suffered several shots to the back, leg and arm.

Police were not yet releasing the names of the victims and their conditions were not available.

Joe Guagliarda, owner of the Sphere, said he provides security in the club and there were no problems inside on New Year's Eve, even though the club was at capacity.

"You try to prevent them" Guagliarda said, pointing out that the incident happened outside of his club. "What a way to start a new year."

It wasn't the first time police were called to a shooting in the vacinity. In November, a man standing on Washington street between the Sphere and the B-District Police Station was shot in the leg.
Old 01-01-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nazz
We almost had our first murder here this morning when a neighbor decided that New Year's morning was a good time to rake a gravel lane outside our bedroom with a Bobcat.
Old 01-03-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TV up North must be bad if all you have to do is listen to police scanners. Down here in New Orleans as of the 3rd we have 3 dead. The police however do not consider a person that makes it to the hospital alive, then dies a murder. Helps their stats, that way. Who knows what the count really is.

Bill's suck, Pittsburgh third string kicked their ass. Go Steelers
Old 01-03-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, those drive-bys are getting more accurate.
Old 01-03-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
New Jersey wins

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey...5120124190.xml

Fatal attacks get New Year off to bad start
Man stabbed in Franklin Twp., another beaten in W. New York

Monday, January 03, 2005
BY JUDITH LUCAS
Star-Ledger Staff

Barely two hours into the new year, New Jersey witnessed its first homicide when a holiday celebration at a hotel in Somerset County went bad. Before the first day of 2005 ended, there would be a second killing.

The first death occurred shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday when Kerron M. Butler, 23, of Franklin Township was stabbed to death during a melee outside the Clarion Hotel off Cedar Grove Lane in the township shortly after ringing in the new year during a party at the hotel.

The second happened almost 22 hours later and minutes before midnight when a group of rowdy teenagers beat to death an employee of a Chinese restaurant in West New York after he and another employee chased them from the establishment in Hudson County.

The Somerset County Prosecutor's Office identified Butler yesterday, saying an autopsy by the state Regional Medical Examiner's Office in Newark determined he died from stab wounds to the chest that punctured his heart and lung.

Two other men, a 20-year-old from East Windsor and an 18-year-old from New Brunswick, were also stabbed during the fracas that involved close to 100 people, said Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest. Forrest said he is withholding the other men's identities until investigators can determine what set off the fight.

"It's a consideration about the safety of the two survivors," said Forrest. "It's a tremendous liability."

Forrest said he is particularly concerned that the attackers, who are still at large, could try to finish the job.

The 20-year-old is still hospitalized at an undisclosed facility for treatment of a collapsed lung and a serious wound to his back, Forrest said. The 18-year-old was treated for a stab wound to an arm.

Police arrived at the hotel shortly after 2 a.m. to investigate reports of gunfire. As the crowd scattered, Butler was found lying face down in the parking lot.

"It was helter-skelter when police got there," said Forrest.

Hotel workers told police that different groups of people leased rooms for separate bashes. The revelers socialized but did not know one another before meeting on Friday night.

Something, investigators are not sure what, set off an argument inside the hotel, Forrest said. The dispute escalated into a brawl and spilled outside into the parking lot, Forrest said.

"As you talk to different people you hear different things," said Forrest. "I don't really know if we are being told the truth."

In the West New York killing, Lu Xian of Flushing, N.Y., and Dejian Gheng of Guttenberg, employees at the Foliage Restaurant at 60th and Broadway, chased about a dozen teenagers outside after they became rowdy, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

They followed the group for about three blocks then were attacked, DeFazio said. Xian went into cardiac arrest and died early yesterday after sustaining extensive internal injuries in the attack. Gheng remained hospitalized at the Jersey City Medical Center last night with injuries that were not life threatening.

DeFazio said a 15-year-old from Fairview in Bergen County has been arrested and charged with aggravated assault. He has been remanded to the Hudson County Youth House in Secaucus, DeFazio said.

He said investigators haven't determined how many of the juveniles were involved in the assault. DeFazio said he anticipates more arrests later this week.
Old 01-03-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by latenight
Bill's suck, Pittsburgh third string kicked their ass. Go Steelers
I hate the bills, anytime they lose I laugh