Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I need a new bed.

Old 12-31-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need a new bed.

So - where do I buy one? Best brands? Which to get? I'd like to get a kickass price for one too... I'm in no big hurry if that'll help me get a great price.

I need a queen sized bed. I tried firm mattresses and they weren't comfortable. I have a bad back too.

I don't want a sleep number or any other inflatable junk. I also don't want some craftmatic geriatric junk. I also tried those memory foam mattresses and I didn't like it at all.
Old 12-31-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How long did you try the memory foam mattress? We got a Tempur Pedic several years ago and it took me a few nights to get used to it. Now if I sleep on anything else, I wake up pretty stiff.
Old 12-31-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just laid on a tempur pedic at the store for about 10 minutes. I immediately hated it though because it was too firm... plus, the idea of it kinda turned me off... it's foam, so it'll hold in sweat and crap and just get nasty. I don't know - I suppose a pillow-top mattress would be the same. Guh - germs.
Old 12-31-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sleep in one of these

take your pick

Old 12-31-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you want me to die? That's kinda mean. A winky face is supposed to make it okay that you want me to die? :/
Old 12-31-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also need a new bed and for whatever reason, I decided that I need the same bed Ice Cube has in his "It Was a Good Day" video. Now I just need to find one like that.
Old 12-31-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trigger
you want me to die? That's kinda mean. A winky face is supposed to make it okay that you want me to die? :/

Old 12-31-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fine...

/me suicides
Old 12-31-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I killed trigger

PS sorry to wreck the thread

on topic- I've heard Denver Mattress Co mattresses are good, are you looking at the whole bed or just a new mattress? I'd get a water bed but not a "sloshy" one, I had a sloshy one about 15 years ago and any time I moved at all it woke me up

Last edited by Bacon; 12-31-04 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Kingsdown pillowtop 1/2 that i love.
Old 12-31-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come to bed bitch

Old 12-31-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just laid on a tempur pedic at the store for about 10 minutes. I immediately hated it though because it was too firm...
Yes, the Tempur Pedic does feel too firm when you first lay on it. It took about a week for me to get used to it. The first night I went and slept on the couch, absolutely frustrated. But eventually it felt, I don't know, just right. That's the only way to describe it. I guess it took a little while to shake off the perception of how sleeping should feel from the perspective of sleeping on an innerspring mattress. Now I can't go back. When we go on vacation my body literally aches for our bed. I toss, I turn, parts of my body go numb--it's terrible.

plus, the idea of it kinda turned me off... it's foam, so it'll hold in sweat and crap and just get nasty. I don't know - I suppose a pillow-top mattress would be the same. Guh - germs.
Actually, there is a waterproof, stainproof cover that is an integral part to the Tempur Pedic mattress. Damn, I sound like a sales slug. But it's true. It won't let sweat or dust mites or anything really get to the foam.

I got bored after we had ours and pulled the sheets off, then proceeded to pour a glass of water on the thing and see if it would soak in. Nope. Nothing. Just puddled up on top of the cover.

We've had numerous instances of cats puking on the bed while we sleep (always on my side) and of course that stuff goes right through the sheet. So there's a huge brown-yellow nastiness all over the cover. I just zip it off, throw it in the washer with the sheets, pull the comforter over the mattress and snooze away until morning. I pull the cover out of the washer and throw it over a sofa to dry. The brown-yellow is always gone. And nothing ever soaks through. We've had it for about 5 years and it is still holding up very well.

One of the best thing about the mattress is that I can sit a drink in a glass on the bed and play videogames without having to worry about tipping it over every time I move.

If you are grossed out by germs or have severe dust mite allergies, the bed is a godsend.

Oh, and one more thing, you probably will not sweat on this mattress. It regulates your body temperature by pulling the excess heat down. The only time I sweat in that bed is A) when I'm sick B) when I'm having a nightmare and C) when I'm getting it on.
Old 12-31-04, 10:14 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
I killed trigger

YOU BASTARD!
Old 12-31-04, 11:15 PM
Banned

I got the Tempurpedic about a month or so ago. I can't imagine sleeping on anythign else now.

There's three kinds of the Tempurpedic ones though. The 8 inch thick ones are very firm, the 10 inch thick ones are less firm, and the 12 inch thick ones are not very firm at all. I'd go back and lay on the 10 inch one. It makes a big difference.

But as for sweat and such, well, there is the cover which is waterproof and so forth, but realistically you sweat much much less on one of these than you do on any other mattress. The foam material is open celled so it lets air through and lets it breathe. I sweated at night on my old mattress, I don't on this one. QED.

The only bad thing about them is the price. They're kinda expensive. But it is easily the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on. It did take a few days to get used to it, but once my back actually straightened out properly (my old mattress really, really sucked and kinda gave me a hunched over thing), it works like a dream.

Like sleeping on a cloud stuffed full of Krispy Kreme Donuts!
Old 12-31-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot to mention the heat thing, it helps regulate your body temp somehow. It seems to pull heat down too. My wife has a pillow made of the same stuff, and you can put your hand under it and it feels warmer than on top. Also, one of our cats usually ends up under the bed in the morning, we think she feels the heat coming off the mattress.

They really are worth the money, I can't imagine sleeping on a regular mattress now.
Old 01-01-05, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I heard ladies love bunk beds.
Old 01-01-05, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez - I knew this would end up being a Tempur Pedic salesman convention. Does this product get sold like Amway stuff or something? I've given Tempurs a shot more than a few times, it's always the same result. I flop down on it and it feels like I hit the floor. They are unforgiving. Maybe you guys are right and it's just something I need to get used to. I guess I'm just old-fashioned and think that when I flop down on a bed or lay pipe on one that the thing should bounce and sway. Speaking of laying pipe, that's another issue - how's that on a Tempur versus a regular mattress? And aside from all that - let's assume I can't afford a Tempur Pedic... so let's talk about a traditional mattresses for awhile so I at least have options.
Old 01-01-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have a tube waterbed with a pillow top. You cannot tell it's a waterbed by looking at it, or by laying on it, but it's the most comfortable bed I've ever been in. We've had it for about 5 years. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but fortunately you only have to do it once (well, I've done it three times because we've moved twice). It has 12 tubes in it and you can fill them with as much water as you want. My wife likes a firm mattress, so the tubes on her side have more water in them than the tubes on my side, resulting in a firmer feel on her side of the bed. We bought it at Oak Express in Michigan, but I have no idea if they would still carry it.

If you go to the virtual tour of our house and click on master bedroom, you can see what it looks like:

http://media.homestore.com/HSGXAETE.htm

Stew
Old 01-01-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

water beds are bad on my back I've found...
Old 01-01-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I said, you'd never know it was a water bed. They've changed a lot.

Stew
Old 01-01-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez - I knew this would end up being a Tempur Pedic salesman convention. Does this product get sold like Amway stuff or something? I've given Tempurs a shot more than a few times, it's always the same result. I flop down on it and it feels like I hit the floor. They are unforgiving. Maybe you guys are right and it's just something I need to get used to. I guess I'm just old-fashioned and think that when I flop down on a bed or lay pipe on one that the thing should bounce and sway. Speaking of laying pipe, that's another issue - how's that on a Tempur versus a regular mattress? And aside from all that - let's assume I can't afford a Tempur Pedic... so let's talk about a traditional mattresses for awhile so I at least have options.

I get nothing from pitching Tempur Pedic other than sharing our sleep experience.

No, you can't flop down on them, but that's the point. A good bed should support you, not be a trampoline. Think about when you move at night, those springs that would bounce you up are going to bounce you up out of your sleep. But those springs breakdown over time, I've slept on older mattresses, and they're like iron maidens on my back.

As for your other question, we had a multi-function event just this afternoon that went quite fine, thank you very much
Old 01-02-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

those tempurpedics sure are pricey. do they ever go on sale?
Old 01-02-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
those tempurpedics sure are pricey. do they ever go on sale?
I don't think so, but we got ours as a floor model and saved a little bit. Remember though, it's not going to break down after a few years, so compare the cost to the cost of replacing several regular mattresses.
Old 01-02-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Costco has very good prices on mattresses.
Old 01-02-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I don't think so, but we got ours as a floor model and saved a little bit. Remember though, it's not going to break down after a few years, so compare the cost to the cost of replacing several regular mattresses.
people replace mattresses every few years? are they made of money? i've had mine for 16 years.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.