Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Six Sigma Green Belt Certification in the classroom?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-31-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know if any company offers this in the Seattle area? I checked University of Washington's extension program and they don't offer it.

Everywhere else is just online - i'd rather be in the classroom

Anyone know? Thanks
Old 12-31-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ack!!

Just say no to Six Sigma!!

*Runs out of thread!!*

-pedagogue
Old 12-31-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't - company is pushing it and it would help for my personal progression as well
Old 12-31-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Can't - company is pushing it and it would help for my personal progression as well
It isn't a bad thing to go through. I see how it can be useful, but to actually apply the entire process to real projects....usually takes more time than a company is willing to give, or people are willing to deal with.

-pedagogue
Old 12-31-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A shepherd was herding his flock in a remote pasture when suddenly a brand new BMW advanced out of the dust cloud towards him. The driver, a young man in a Broni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban sunglasses and a YSL tie, leaned out the window and asked the shepherd, "If I tell you exactly how many sheep you have in your flock, will you give me one?"

The shepherd looked at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looked at his peacefully grazing flock and calmly answered. "Sure."

The yuppie parked his car, whipped out his computer notebook and connected to a cell phone. Then he surfed to a NASA page on the Internet where he called up a GPS satellite navigation system. He scanned the area and then opened up a database and an Excel spreadsheet with complex formulas. He sent an Email on his Blackberry and after a few minutes received a response. Finally, he printed out a 150-page report on his hi-tech miniaturized printer. Then he turned to the shepherd and said, "You have exactly 1586 sheep."

"That's correct, take one of the sheep," said the shepherd. He watched the young man select one of the animals and bundle it into his car.

Then the shepherd said, "If I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give back my sheep?"

"OK, why not," answered the young man.

"Clearly you are a Six Sigma Black Belt," said the shepherd.

"That's correct," said the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required," answered the shepherd. "You turned up here although nobody called you. You want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked, and you don't know crap about my business. NOW, give back my dog."
That pretty much sums it up. It's snake-oil philosophy for managers. The end goal is achieving zero-defect manufacturing - looks great on paper, but is unachievable in the real world. Worse, it places this burden on workers, thereby creating even more workplace pressure and a huge expectation gap between workers and managers.

Do you know how they came up with the term "six sigma?" This is a true story. The guys who created it were sitting around a bar trying to think up a clever name. Since the idea is to reduce defects to 1/106, someone wrote down a 6 on a bar napkin. Someone else looked at it from across the table and said that it looked like a lower-case sigma. So if you write a normal 6, followed by a 6 on its side, you get "six sigma."

That should be an indication of the overall merit of the six sigma movement.

- David Stein
Old 12-31-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trust me, I do know most people are against Six Sigma and sometimes it fails to provide the value add - however, I'd like to get the certification as a bonus to my credentials.

I personally think the PMP is much more valuable.
Old 12-31-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
It isn't a bad thing to go through. I see how it can be useful, but to actually apply the entire process to real projects....usually takes more time than a company is willing to give, or people are willing to deal with.

-pedagogue
Definitely, without a doubt you learn some good tactics but overall it's just a waste, i.e. "REAL PROJECTS" my company is big on this garbarge but all in all, it's just another one of those excuses to reward ass kissers with.
Old 12-31-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sfsdfd

- David Stein

Also, your shepherd should know the difference between a sheep and a dog, so clearly the six sigma guy screwed up the shepherd's business to the point of confusion.
Old 12-31-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Ack!!

Just say no to Six Sigma!!

*Runs out of thread!!*

-pedagogue
Quickly grabs ped and beats him with Pan Thai noodles.
Old 12-31-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sfsdfd
Do you know how they came up with the term "six sigma?" This is a true story. The guys who created it were sitting around a bar trying to think up a clever name. Since the idea is to reduce defects to 1/106, someone wrote down a 6 on a bar napkin. Someone else looked at it from across the table and said that it looked like a lower-case sigma. So if you write a normal 6, followed by a 6 on its side, you get "six sigma."

Source? I was always taught that it is named "Sig Sigma" because the objective is to get the sample means of manufacturing processes within 3 standard deviations (sigma) to either side of the population mean.
Old 12-31-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Duran
Source? I was always taught that it is named "Sig Sigma" because the objective is to get the sample means of manufacturing processes within 3 standard deviations (sigma) to either side of the population mean.
I always thought it was from Motorola - here's what I found on history

http://www.isixsigma.com/library/content/c020815a.asp
Old 12-31-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i had to take a six sigma course for my degree. six sigma it was 3.4 errors per million. the idea of six sigma is a good idea. continuous improvement, and organzing work into steps. that improves the product overall.

you start out by figuring out what's a good problem to fix, take data to see how to fix it, analyze the data, find a remedy, and find a way to maintain the improvement.

sure 3.4 errors per million is great, but the problem is how do you define a variation? out of what do you base the million possible occurrences? and when taking data, what's the best way to take it? who do you survey? or what other method do you get the data? and then the other problem is, is everyone who's doing the project on board? it only works as well as the people who are working on it.

the way i look at it, six sigma will improve a lousy company that has problems, but it would decrease the productivity of a well organized and structured company.

anyway, sorry for going off on a rant.

p.s. when i took this course, i preferred to call the green belt the green burrito.
Old 12-31-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
I always thought it was from Motorola - here's what I found on history

http://www.isixsigma.com/library/content/c020815a.asp
Well, yeah, it started at Motorola based on TQM, but I think they came up with the name from what I posted earlier.
Old 08-23-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hi All, I'm bumping this thread...

Now that I passed the PMP exam, I'm getting kinda bored and I want to advance my knowledge of process improvement. Anyone know the best method to get Six Sigma certified? Going to start at the green belt level first. What online method is the best and most cost effective way to take?

Thanks