Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Nothing is Sacred in Education Anymore - Bye, Bye Milk Carton :(

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer? Paper or Plastic?
Paper Milk Cartons
44.19%
Plastic Milk Containers
41.86%
twikoff likes his straight from the cows teat!
13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CNN article

So much for the school milk carton
Children drink more out of bottles, so schools switching
Wednesday, December 29, 2004 Posted: 11:37 AM EST (1637 GMT)

(AP) -- Yet another familiar school-days object may be going the way of the inkwell and the slide rule.

Encouraged by a milk industry study that shows children drink more dairy when it comes in round plastic bottles, a growing number of schools are ditching those clumsy paper half-pint cartons many of us grew up with.

Already more than 1,250 schools have switched to single-serving bottles. While that is still a tiny fraction of the nation's schools, it is a significant jump from 2000, when there were none, according to the National Dairy Council.

"Those damn square containers are awfully hard for kids," says New Hampshire Agriculture Commissioner Steve Taylor, who has watched the trend spread to some 320 schools in New England. "Teachers say you can spend the whole lunch period just walking around and opening those containers."
I wanna single out that red part:

"Those damn square containers are awfully hard for kids," says New Hampshire Agriculture Commissioner Steve Taylor[/size]
We tailor to our children more so than any other generation. Let them have a struggle somewhere.

I happened to like the paper milk cartons -- albeit they were a pain to open sometimes.

How's about y'all? Paper or Plastic?

Last edited by Goldberg74; 12-30-04 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couldn't care less
Old 12-30-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. He said damn (not exactly the best thing to have quoted)
2. It is a freakin' carton!! It is like a rite of passage, to have to drink from those things. They should just hire someone to drink the darn milk for them too!

-pedagogue
Old 12-31-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If there is an easier/better product, then by all means replace the old one.

I hardly think that kids have that big a problem with it though.
Old 12-31-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As kids, it was a lunchtime ritual when we were done with the carton to fold the top flat and then stomp on it. Of course these days it would be mistaken for a gunshot and grounds for arrest and expulsion.
Old 12-31-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nevermind, if it makes you feel better, these new ones will make excellent pipe bombs.
Old 12-31-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BizRodian
nevermind, if it makes you feel better, these new ones will make excellent pipe bombs.
Old 12-31-04, 01:14 AM
Banned

Hard to open? Are these kids retards or something? Unless you have no manual dexterity, they're easy to open.

And hey, why aren't the environmentalists up in arms over this one? More plastic for the landfills, more dependance on foriegn oil (where do you think plastic comes from?), etc, etc.
Old 12-31-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anything is better than what they served at on school I went to... Milk in a bag. It's like handing water balloons full of milk to every child in the cafeteria. BAD IDEA.
Old 12-31-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk God

well crap
i voted plastic before looking and realizing we are talking about the little lunch size ones
i was thinking about whats in my fridge, not whats in the schools

i change my vote to paper
Old 12-31-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Eh, I failed to open many a milk carton in my day, ending up with a raggedy hole and a mouthful of cardboard fiber.

Seems like a total non-issue to me. If it's easier, by all means go ahead and make the switch.
Old 12-31-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why don't they just make them like juiceboxes, and have a little foil hole you jam your straw through?

I thought milk lost more vitamins when exposed to light (i.e. in plastic vs. light blocking cardboard)
Old 12-31-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the round bottles are more comfortable to the hand for me....times are a changing
Old 12-31-04, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems logical.

Stew
Old 12-31-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is it true that cartoned milk is better for you than plastic? I swear I read somewhere that the sunlight breaks down vitamins or something in milk.
Old 12-31-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I vote for milk in small glass bottles.

Originally Posted by nevermind

As kids, it was a lunchtime ritual when we were done with the carton to fold the top flat and then stomp on it.
Hell yes! That was fun. I would collect a dozen or so empty cartons from others, line 'em up, and stomp my way down the line. Of course, I would then pick up the flattened carton and wing it at someone. Usually icky girls.
Old 12-31-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sheese, milk cartons? When I was in high school, they were so hard up for money that we had milk pouches. It was a little plastic bag that had milk in it, and you had to use the straw to punch it open. If anyone even touched it wrong, you had milk all over everything.

I'd gladly take a carton after that.
Old 12-31-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by silentbob007
Is it true that cartoned milk is better for you than plastic? I swear I read somewhere that the sunlight breaks down vitamins or something in milk.
I think you are partially correct.

I remember hearing the same thing about beer...which is why they are in darker bottles, and usually not clear.

Beer Vitamins....

-pedagogue
Old 12-31-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nevermind
As kids, it was a lunchtime ritual when we were done with the carton to fold the top flat and then stomp on it.
This reminded me of a guy I worked with in the Navy. He was one of those people that had bad things happen out of innocent actions. I know many instances of crap he's been through.

Anyway, he had some problems in high school so he had to attend a continuation school. One day he was walking outside and saw an unstomped-on milk carton. Since you can't leave those unstomped, he stomped on it good and hard.

What he didn't know was that it was an UNOPENED unstomped-on milk carton. The milk shot out the front of the carton! He slowly looked up and the biggest, baddest boy in school just happened to be walking by and was on the receiving end of the milk shower. He remembers stammering the words "Hey man, I'm sor...." before seeing a fist head his way. Next thing he knew, he was picking himself up on the far side of the school yard.
Old 12-31-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For starters, milk tastes better out of a paper carton than a plastic container. I think it has something to do with the glue seeping into it.

I would also think that the landfill refuse argument has some validity.
Old 12-31-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's nothin' like spawning a totally retarded generation.
Old 12-31-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
I think you are partially correct.

I remember hearing the same thing about beer...which is why they are in darker bottles, and usually not clear.

Beer Vitamins....

-pedagogue
To clairfy, sunlight will react with the hops in the beer giving it that skunky aroma and taste. Only brown glass will retard this reaction. Green offers no protection for a beer from being light struck.

I think this is one of the reasons that Corona is typically served with lemon or lime, to mask the skunkiness.
Old 12-31-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hated the taste of soggy cardboard.
Old 12-31-04, 01:56 PM

I'm used to the cardboard...the milk tastes different when in the plastic jugs for some reason and i hate it.
Old 12-31-04, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by QuAcKeR
Anything is better than what they served at on school I went to... Milk in a bag. It's like handing water balloons full of milk to every child in the cafeteria. BAD IDEA.
When I was in high school, I visited another school, and they had milk in a bag.... I was staring at it, looking all confused, and the lunch lady grabbed it from me, stabbed it with a straw, and had it back in my hand faster than you could say tatertot...

Damn, that stuff was weird... but the cool part was that you could inflate the bag after you were done drinking the milk.

Muse

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.