Reload this Page >

New Year - Do you fear flying still?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-29-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this comes up (and recently of course due to 9/11) every year and this is a time that many people do fly. Last year I took about 2 dozen RT flights, this year I count about 14 RT's. I used to be afraid to fly a while ago but now it is not a problem anymore.

I ask because a good amount of time on my flight from NYC to Chicago this past holiday was filled with turbulance. Some people, especially the person next to me, were getting a bit worried about our safety. The plane was bouncing around a lot but I actually found myself enjoying it since the majority of my flights lately have been rather dull. I have never dropped altitude rapidly and that would probably freak me out ... but surfing the air is actually becoming fun ... anyone else enjoy it at all (and I am not talking about security and lines but the actual act of flying)? Also do you still fear any terrosist attacks? - I do not.
Old 12-29-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love to fly - I just don't do it often enough. Landing at Chicago Midway in an ice storm is a little unnerving though .
Old 12-29-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As stupid as it is, I fear turbulance more than terrorists. I don't know why. I know it's irrational and illogical, but I guess no one is perfect. I flew over 30,000 miles the year following 9/11 and flew four days after 9/11... didn't bother me a bit. But get me in one of those puddle jumpers that bounce around and I cling to the arm rests like I'm going to blow out the window.
Old 12-29-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think it's stupid to fear turbulence more than terrorists. I'm sure many more planes have crashed on their own than have been taken down by terrorists. I can relate to the fear of the puddle jumpers. I've only been in them a handful of times, but the first one when we were walking out to the plane there was a guy putting duct tape on top of the cockpit! The ride was really rough for about 10 minutes too. I wasn't to the point that I was afraid we would crash, but it was the only time I ever became remotely nauseous on a plane.

I enjoy taking off and landing while you can still see everything out the window, but I can do without the several boring hours in between. If you include the drive to the airport, checking the luggage, and going through security, I hate flying.
Old 12-29-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't fear flying, I fear crashing into a moutain.
Old 12-29-04, 03:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by suziq999
As stupid as it is, I fear turbulance more than terrorists.
I'm the same way.
Old 12-29-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon

Yes - the crashing part is scarier than the flying part.

I'm flying to Vegas next week, and I'm sure I'll be thinking about "Lost" every time we hit a bump.
Old 12-29-04, 04:10 PM

I flew on an international flight just a few weeks after 9/11. No fear. If you look objectively at the statistics (especially compared to, say, auto travel), even 9/11/2001 was a relatively safe day to fly.
Old 12-29-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon

There some comedian who has a bit about the seats being used as flotation devices. He says 95% of domestic flights are over land, and if you want to impress him, make a seat that bounces out of a cornfield . That one always gets gasps & nervous laughter from surrounding passengers when I tell it as we're listening to the safety stuff, backing out of the gate.
Old 12-29-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should put ejection seats in, or at least parachutes in the seat cusions for those occasions when you get sucked out of the plane.
Old 12-29-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roto
They should put ejection seats in, or at least parachutes in the seat cusions for those occasions when you get sucked out of the plane.
when you're crusing at 35,000 feet they'd better give you an oxygen tank.