Reload this Page >

So, It Appears My Dog Was Beaten

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-29-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Monday, my dog was let out sometime in the late morning/early afternoon to go to the bathroom. I usually don't put him on a leash as he tends to stay within the yard. However, he must have wandered off and when we (members of the household) called for him, he didn't come. I started to think that maybe he was "getting busy" with another dog or he could have been picked up by the dog catcher. Throughout the day, I and others continue to call for him (Koojo) and still no reply. Around 6pm, one of the household members took a flashlight and did some searching. Still nothing. I drove around and couldn't find him.

So, about 1 minute after we all go into the house, he appears at the door (which just happened to be left open) and he is bleeding from his nose, cannot open his mouth, has a large lump on his cheek and he appears to be extremely tired/dizzy. He also peeded right there at the door as he appeared to be scared as shit.

So, we call the vet and receive a call back asking us to bring him in. I was informed when we arrived that his jaw was okay but one tooth was knocked loose. Also, he might have fliud in one of his lungs as the vet could not detect any breathing from one side of his body. I informed the vet of what had happened and would could have happened while he was away.

So today, my girlfriend calls the vet office and she is informed that his jaw on one side was in a thousand pieces and that they may have to put him down (if the repair doesn't take). That is when the tears started to flow. Mind you, he is only 5 months old and is a Rot mix. He also wouldn't hurt a fly. So, after being told that, I go outside and walk around to see if I can see anything that could tell me where he came from or where it might have happened. I couldn't find anything, sadly.

Fast forward to about 2:30 pm today, my girlfriend and I head down to the vet to see Koojo.Thankfully, he looks great and is very excited to see us both. After spending about 15 minutes with him just petting him and what-not, I seek out the vet doctor to see what is what. Come to find out more info in that he was apparently struck several times (with what we don't know) but I tend to think it was a 2x4 or something. They pulled out 3 teeth that were either broken off or loose. He has a blood clot or hemmerage in his nose (according to the x-rays). No info on the lung but I did ask them to check on that as it is very important. Koojo also has a humming noise coming from his nose which is the cause of the blow and the clot or hemmorage. The vet is hopful that it is only temporary.

He is still at the vet but it looks like we can take him home tomorrow. We are just gonna have to watch him like a hawk to make sure he is safe and we need to make his food mushy so he can lap it up instead of chewing for a few weeks.

That was a great weight lifted off our shoulders. However, what boggles my mind is what sick fuck would do something like this to an animal. It is disgusting and I hope whoever did it gets what is coming to them.

(I'll add of a picture of him later on)
Old 12-29-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One word: teenagers.

They are out of school with nothing to do while the parents are at work. They prolly saw your dog and took advantage. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's prolly what happened. Some teens in my area poured gasoline on a cat and lit it up. When they were arrested they said they did it cuz they were bored.
Old 12-29-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk God

I definately don't condone this, but dude....you have a rot mix that you don't keep on tied up when he is outside? Bad move. You may not think he would hurt a fly (and I believe you) but any parents with kids will not know that piece of information.

Keep him chained up.
Old 12-29-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Two words: leash law.

While I'm saddened to hear about anyone beating the crap out of a dog, you're just asking for someone to steal or hurt your dog if you just let him outside to go to the bathroom.

I would never allow my dogs outside unless I had them on a leash. Even though your dog "never leaves the front yard", there is always a first time.

There are some awful people out there who would try to kill any dog they come across. There are people who would just take your dog and not give him back. Hell, there are people who'd run him down with their car and just keep going.

You're lucky to have found him at all.

If he survives this, my advice would be to take him on proper walks ON A LEASH.

I hate to be so harsh, but your puppy's injuries are just as much your fault as the person who did it.
Old 12-29-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry to hear what happened but for a while go out with your dog in the yard; he knows you're there, you get fresh air

Do you have a fence? No way my dog would go for a pee in the morning and come back at 6 pm...

We used to get at least three 20 minute walks each day. Enough time for #1 and #2 .

Walk your dog on a leash or be with him when he's in the yard.

Last edited by Darkfriend; 12-29-04 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-29-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All points are valid. I usually do go outside with him. We usually just let him out and then after 5 minutes, he is back in. I do walk him with a leash sometimes as well. No offense taken.
Old 12-29-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you find who did it, give them about 10 big kicks in the ass for me. Sick bastids.
Old 12-29-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You got it Nick
Old 12-29-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even if you think you can trust your dog, you can't trust other people (or your dog.)

My first dog was very well behaved, but while my father was walking her in an off leash area, she managed to get out and was killed instantly by a truck.

A girl at work was in another off leash area, but another dog started chasing her own. Her dog ran away, right into the street where it was also hit.

I've been walking my dogs when someone with their dog off lease will walk by, and their dog will run towards mine. They will always yell for the dog, but it never listens... my dogs don't attack others, but what if they did? Even though I'm being responsible, a strange dog runs up to them, does something, and gets attacked by mine, even though they are on a leash.

I had a neighbor whos cat was force fed gasoline and died from it. A few years later they found their second cat dead as well.

Please, keep your animals under control, a fenced yard or a lease, or whatever. For their saftey, and for others.

Hope the guy gets better, and you find out who did it.
Old 12-29-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Absolutely keep your dog under control at all times.

A case in point: I was at a dog show a few years ago. One of the prize boxer bitches was let off her lead or let out of her crate without a leash and the first thing she did was run out the door and into traffic. She did not survive.

Even though both my dogs went through obedience and I could probably trust them off leash, there is always the first time they become distracted and run into the street. All it takes is one time for a car to kill a dog.

Just a thought.

Even though you only let her out for a couple of minutes, why not let her out in a FENCED backyard? It's safer that way.
Old 12-29-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that just makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 12-29-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hippie68
that just makes me sick to my stomach.
Sorry but I agree.
Old 12-29-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd check around. More than likely, the punks are still hanging around, thinking they got away with it. And who knows, they could be terrorizing other animals so I would recommend alerting neighbors and as many as you can.
Old 12-29-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
All points are valid. I usually do go outside with him. We usually just let him out and then after 5 minutes, he is back in. I do walk him with a leash sometimes as well. No offense taken.
i hope you've learned your lesson. It's insane to let an adult dog out, but a 5-month old puppy??????
Old 12-29-04, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, unless I missed something, let me be the first to say I hope your pup makes a full recovery.

And let me be the billionth to tell you: keep 'em on a leash (lease?)!
Old 12-29-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by harpo787
And let me be the billionth to tell you: keep 'em on a leash (lease?)!
Only if he is renting.
Old 12-29-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't it possible he was hit by a car? I don't know how qualified your vet is to determine the cause of injury.
Old 12-29-04, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He could very well have been hit by a car, even though the injuries suggest a beating.

A lot of people, as I've mentioned, will not stop if they hit a dog. I actually witnessed a dog being hurled several feet by a fast moving vehicle. The dog died instantly and the car kept going. The owner also watched the whole thing and was powerless to stop it. The dog ran out of his garage, even though the dog had never left the front yard before.

Like I said, it only takes one tragedy to occur.

You're a fool to allow your dog (especially a puppy) out in an unfenced yard unsupervised.
Old 12-29-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I'd check around. More than likely, the punks are still hanging around, thinking they got away with it. And who knows, they could be terrorizing other animals so I would recommend alerting neighbors and as many as you can.
Strong agreement. If it is teenagers, maybe the parents might say something at the dinner table that would make the guilty kids confess.

Ahh... what am I thinking ... parents at the dinner table with kids?? That's just too much responsible parenting.

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog.
Old 12-29-04, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mllefoo
He could very well have been hit by a car, even though the injuries suggest a beating.

A lot of people, as I've mentioned, will not stop if they hit a dog. I actually witnessed a dog being hurled several feet by a fast moving vehicle. The dog died instantly and the car kept going. The owner also watched the whole thing and was powerless to stop it. The dog ran out of his garage, even though the dog had never left the front yard before.

Like I said, it only takes one tragedy to occur.

You're a fool to allow your dog (especially a puppy) out in an unfenced yard unsupervised.
Okay, this is probably a stupid question for most of you, but why would you stop?
Old 12-29-04, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would stop to put a bullet in its head. I wouldn't want it to suffer.
Old 12-29-04, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a dog lover since childhood I hate that your puppy has had to suffer so. I live in the country so leash laws are a bit more lenient, but unfortunately I have a pug who has NO clue to stay in the yard nor off the road, so he has a cable run outside which I HAVE to keep him on or else he's roadkill. If I had the opportunity and my dog was smart enough to stay in the yard I would allow him to go without a chain too. I have to agree that your dog could easily have gotten hit by a car. Youve been chastised enough here over your mistake, but bottom line is, if you own a big dog you either need a long chain/cable run or a fenced in yard for him, especially in any populated area. People are naturally afraid of big dogs anyway; I've had 2 dobermans and they scared people to death even though they were big babies who liked nothing better than puuting their heads in my lap and having their heads rubbed.

Also, the reason your dog probably left the yard was indeed for what you're guessing......he smelled a female in heat and being a male went to get laid . You might want to consider having him fixed, because honestly, if a dog is capable of breeding, he is going to jump on the opportunity to do so if he's able to get out of the yard.
Old 12-29-04, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bill,take him for a walk(on a leash)!
maybe he'll get Nervous around the spot this happened..

im thinking he got hit by a car.
Old 12-29-04, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope you pup has a quick recovery.

There was a story around here not too long ago about a cat being gassed and lit on fire, dunno if it was the same mentioned earlier. I can't fathom traeting an animal like that. If that happened to my cat or dog and I caught the person I think I'd honestly kill them. People are such assholes but pets just love unconditionally. I'll take the latter any day of the week.
Old 12-29-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you sure the dog wasn't hitting on Babka's girlfriend?

Like others have stated, it's possible he was hit by a car. Escpecially if he's not used to being in the street. However the injuries do sound more like a beating than a vehicle.
If not sick scumbags, maybe the dog wandered onto someone else's property. Perhaps he saw another dog there and the owner freaked out and beat him to chase him away.
Definitely keep him on a leash outside or fence in your yard if possible.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.