Reload this Page >

Tips for selling on Ebay

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Tips for selling on Ebay

Old 12-28-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for selling on Ebay

I was wondering if some more expierienced Ebay users can give me some useful hints and tips on how to sell efficiently on Ebay. Especially how to make a good title and description for my Items to attract people.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Hmmmm, I have sold quite a bit, but it is mainly stuff that I want to get rid of and am not too concerned what I get. I would say that starting at $.01 with no reserve, etc. generally seems to do well for me. Charge a reasonable shipping rate or a lot of people won't even bother looking. I look to see the shipping rate before the description.

Also, use things like "[email protected]@K!" "OOP!!!111" and "PNW3D!!11" in the title.
Old 12-28-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Look up what you're selling and check the completed items. Note the kinds of pictures (don't steal other peoples' pictures), and the day the auction ended.
Be as detailed as you can with your item description. Answer questions quickly.
Old 12-28-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Start everything below $10 to save on listing fees and increase bidding. Sell cheaper items at first until you have good feedback. Don't worry about using HTML in your description. Never use a reserve.

Now a question from me. Im looking for a general consensus on what people think is the best time to end your auction. So far iv'e found between 5p and 9p on Sundays works pretty well. I wish Ebay had some statistics that showed their traffic over the week.
Old 12-28-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do use basic HTML in your auction. I just use:

(STRONG)(/STRONG) and
<big>(Big)(/Big)</big> for the title, then
bold (b) (/b)
paragraph (p) (/p) and
make a blank line (br) (/br)

for the text of the auction.

(replace the ( & ) with greater than / less than symbols).

Check out www.htmlgoodies.com for a good quick primer.

And don't buy a professional ebay auction maker, they look too "fake". Just use the basics I listed above.

Last edited by Heat; 12-28-04 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been selling on ebay off and on for the past 4 years, it's a great way to make extra money.

make your headlines stand out with capital letters and important info...
for example if you are selling a DVD...
GOOD - "JURASSIC PARK - Jeff Goldblum - New! 1991 DVD"
BAD - "jurassic park"

don't make too many "rules" in your auction. some people put one line of item description and 3 paragraphs of rules on how to pay, shipping and such. Yes, it's important to have that info, but don't hit people over the head with it.

keep shipping as cheap as you can. Some sellers try to make money on the shipping. $6.00 to mail a DVD? I don't think so. You can mail a DVD for $1.47 plus about .50 cents for the mailer. I usually charge $2.00 to mail a DVD or Video. I also give the option to have it mailed Priority Postage which is $3.85.

For reasons I don't understand, many Ebay sellers say "USA Bids only" they might as well say "I"m stupid" Unless you are selling a very large heavy expensive item, international buyers on ebay rock! I sell many things to the UK and Europe and Japan, I've mailed items all over the world. using the example of the DVD again, postage worldwide for a DVD is about $5.00.

Use a digital camera. You aren't going to sell anything without a picture. Ebay has a picture storage service that works fairly well, but you are better off if you can store the picture on your own web space and link the picture from the auction.

by the way, what items do you plan on selling? It would help me help you better if I knew what you are selling. I sell DVDs, Videos, Music CDs, LP Records and vintage T-shirts and sometimes toys such as action figures. ebay seller ID is turborobb, check it out (shameless plug)

rob

Last edited by turborobb; 12-28-04 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
Do use basic HTML in your auction.

I agree. If you are going to have a large description, along with payment/shipping details, etc. you should at the very least use paragraphs, and some bold print doesn't hurt either. You don't have to get all fancy and artistic, but making your listing easier to read is a big plus.
Old 12-28-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by turborobb
Use a digital camera. You aren't going to sell anything without a picture. Ebay has a picture storage service that works fairly well, but you are better off if you can store the picture on your own web space and link the picture from the auction.
Yes, if you can host your own pics, it's better. Otherwise, you have to pay extra listing fees if you have more than one picture and use ebay's hosting service.
Old 12-28-04, 06:37 PM

Require bidders pay for their own shipping and require they pay for priority. That way, you can contact the USPS, and they will provide you all the packing supplies you need for free, including boxes, tape, etc. You call their 800 number, they check to verify that you live where you are having the supplies sent, and they ship all the crap to you for free.

Also, don't run one auction here and one auction there. If you have 10 things you plan to sell, wait until all are ready and sell them all at one time. The more you streamline the time you spend messing around with eBay, the happier you will be.

I've sold over 10,000 things and think eBay is great, but the listing part is the part I hate the most...snapping pics, putting them online, writing a piece, etc. The item I sold the most of were DVDs that I never touched. I'd take the order on titles that I could get $12 to $15 bucks for, and had a wholesaler ship them for me...never touched them. I also sold surgical masks during the SARS scare when masks were flying off shelves...I had a line on those...and I also sold near 1000 cigar humidors when Sam's club marked down a popular humidor from $130 to $20. I had the entire garage stuffed and then empty again in one month. Other than that, I've sold crap I never use. Whenever I see things drastically reduced or things are very difficult to find, I see an eBay opportunity. The masks scored near $15,000 profit in one month before Scott Peterson took over the news...and the humidors I made roughly $7,000 profit in one month. The DVDs weren't very profitable but my feedback got an ultra boost and so did my Skymiles.

Unfortunately, I only find a really good score about every two years.

A few other things. If you know for sure your item is hot, start it at .01 and advertise that you are offering it at such a low price.

Do your homework. For instance, for Xmas I was given an external DVD burner, but I'm in the market for a whole new computer. Rather than exchange it for store credit, I considered putting it on eBay. My burner was about $200 and on eBay I could likely get $150. There is tape on the box saying that Best Buy will charge me a 15% restocking fee. I'm not sure if that applies to store credit. However, I can sell it and move on easier than dealing with those idiots at the return counter for maybe $50 more.

Sometimes by watching other auctions, you can see what yours will go for and price it accordingly. The DVD burner I would never sell for .01, but I know for damn sure that if I price it as that, there is no way it would go for .01.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 12-28-04 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

JURASIC PARK - L33T Edition!!!!11
Old 12-28-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Pictures. provide pictures!
Old 12-28-04, 07:44 PM

Actually, I'm thinking about selling something for the first time on Ebay. I got this X-men statue over a year ago in a contest and I'd like to sell it. I think it is worth over $150 and while I like x-men and all, I have no intention of having this thing in my living room. I have no idea where to start. Isnt there someway to find out how much something is worth before you sell it? Can you put something up on Ebay and not sell it if you don't get enough for the item?
Old 12-28-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LilyLilyRose
Actually, I'm thinking about selling something for the first time on Ebay. I got this X-men statue over a year ago in a contest and I'd like to sell it. I think it is worth over $150 and while I like x-men and all, I have no intention of having this thing in my living room. I have no idea where to start. Isnt there someway to find out how much something is worth before you sell it? Can you put something up on Ebay and not sell it if you don't get enough for the item?
You need to put a reserve on it. For items like that you are generally better off trying out the free classifieds that your ISP has (if they do). If you just don't get any action, then go to ebay and set a reserve. But I would also go to ebay and see what similar ones are selling for.
Old 12-28-04, 10:03 PM

Well here is what I am selling. I am mostly going to be selling hockey cards. I am going to start off with a couple decent ones and then try to sell off some high end ones to recoup some money for the new set I am building

Old 12-28-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Step 1. Steal your pics from zuffy

Step 2. ????

Step 3. Profit
Old 12-28-04, 10:09 PM

I buy a lot of golf equipment on ebay. A nice picture always seems to get higher bids as long as the condition is very good. Instead of raping people on shipping, state 2-3 day priority and charge the actual 6-8 bucks. Not $12.
Old 12-28-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk God

You haven't even answered my question yet.
Old 12-28-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LilyLilyRose

I may be interested....

Which character and can you send me pics?
Old 12-28-04, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
You haven't even answered my question yet.

Locomotives eh....
Old 12-28-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Well?
Old 12-28-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just don't screw people....stick around....good ratings bring people in and bring them back
Old 12-29-04, 12:28 AM

~wonders if there are any card collectors on this board~
Old 12-29-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
One thing I found out is set your starting price at what you want it to sell for.

During the height of the PS2 shortage, I listed a PS2 for $350 with a reserve of $500...it got to $487 and I was planning on selling, but the seller backed out because according to eBay's rules, the buyer OR the seller don't have to go through with an auction if a reserve isn't met. I relisted with a price of $350 and no reserve and it sold for $600. Lesson learned there.

I also charge a flat $4.00 shipping rate. I ship USPS with tracking info...end of discussion. So buying a DVD from me gets you better than Media Mail service and I don't have to figure individual shipping rates for everyone (which is also why I only ship to the U.S.)
Old 12-29-04, 01:36 AM

so what's the best way to ship a dvd?

shipping service? (media mail, first class, priority) do you get other options? (insurance, tracking, delivery confirmation)

how do you package it? dvd case inside bubble envelope? is there a cheap way of acquiring bubble envelopes?

and how would you deal with someone claiming the dvd was lost or damaged?
Old 12-29-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by her34
so what's the best way to ship a dvd?

shipping service? (media mail, first class, priority) do you get other options? (insurance, tracking, delivery confirmation)

how do you package it? dvd case inside bubble envelope? is there a cheap way of acquiring bubble envelopes?

and how would you deal with someone claiming the dvd was lost or damaged?
I ship USPS priority with tracking for $4. I usually take a loss on this. I offer insurance at $1 as an option. I purchase small shipping boxes and wrap the DVDs in bubble wrap. I spend more than I charge for shipping.

Lost DVDs aren't an issue because I always do tracking. I haven't had any arrive damaged (it's virtually impossible...I put a buttload of bubble wrap in the box,) but if something catastrophic happened (like the post office truck ran the box over) then that's why I offer insurance. It won't be damaged because of anything I do.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.