Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you do about Dandruff ???

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-28-04, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might have the worlds worst case of dry scalp or dandruff or whatever you want to call it. I have used every kind of dandruff shampoo known to man and even some home remedies. Nothing helps for any length of time. I have even gone so far as to use pine-sol which actually works as well as anything else I've tried. I read about that in a Lewis Grizzard book and was desperate enough to try it. I wear glasses and the flakes get all over those and I'm sick of it. I've thought about shaving my head and wearing vaseline on it. There has to be something that will help. Come on with it and help a guy out so it won't look like it's snowing every time I sneeze.
Old 12-28-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you rinsing the soap out good enough? Maybe it's dried soap. Do they have prescription dandruff shampoo? Maybe see a doctor?
Old 12-28-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

dandruff? You have hair on your head?
Old 12-28-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
head and shoulders sucks by itself
neutrogena T gel smells like ass but works. I use it twice a week, sun and wed, and use head and shoulders the other days
Old 12-28-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing helps, I hear ya. I think its just marketing that claims products do. I'ved used professional stuff my sister a hairstylist brings home last year and I still get some later in day.
Old 12-28-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you sure it's dandruff?

Might be Psoraisis
Old 12-28-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Brunette: "My boyfriend had dandruff so I gave him head and shoulders"
Blonde: "How do you give shoulders???"

Thank you, good night!
Old 12-28-04, 07:02 PM

Well I think they are about the same thing. Dandruff is just the fallout from a dry scalp condition. We have the technology to send a man to the moon but can't stop the fallout. I guess I'm lucky I still have a full head of hair. I tell all my thinning buddies that I don't care what color it turns as long as it don't turn loose. I also have a small problem with dry skin on my face but it's not hard to manage that.
Old 12-28-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Earwax chunks and dandruff.

Perhaps this is a sign for a "Hygiene" subforum.
Old 12-28-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah i too use neutrogena T gel, it worked for me. try that. it has .05% coal tar, so it smells like shit. Try it though.
Old 12-28-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Brunette: "My boyfriend had dandruff so I gave him head and shoulders"
Blonde: "How do you give shoulders???"

Thank you, good night!
Old 12-28-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bobe,
Go see a dermatologist. For your dry skin ask for some desonide. That shit is awesome. It's a prescription lotion for dry skin. For your dandruff ask for some prescription Nizoral Shampoo. The have a generic brand but the prescription is stronger.

But definitely go see a dermatologist.
Old 12-28-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nevermind
Might be Psoraisis
Oh, the heartbreak...
Old 12-28-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TruGator
Bobe,
Go see a dermatologist. For your dry skin ask for some desonide. That shit is awesome. It's a prescription lotion for dry skin. For your dandruff ask for some prescription Nizoral Shampoo. The have a generic brand but the prescription is stronger.

But definitely go see a dermatologist.
I totally agree with you here.

Btw, if a dermatologist is out of your price range, try some tea tree oil shampoo followed by a cold water rinse.
Old 12-29-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

tea tree is great....ice cap works well too
Old 12-29-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
I totally agree with you here.

Btw, if a dermatologist is out of your price range, try some tea tree oil shampoo followed by a cold water rinse.

Don't forget to dance around the fire naked as well.
Old 12-29-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Selsun Blue. Leave it on for at least three or four minutes. Then use conditioner.
Old 12-29-04, 01:03 AM
Banned

I use Pantene dandruff control shampoo. Head and Shoulders works, but not as well, IMO.

Look at the backs of the bottles and try the strongest one. If it doesn't work, see a doctor about prescription strength stuff. Beyond that there's really nothing more to try.
Old 12-29-04, 01:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bobe

"Ooh yesh. Yesh yesh yesh yesh. This is a keeper."
Old 12-29-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use the Neutrogena T gel and it seems to work pretty good despite how bad it smells.

It's weird, I only get dried scalp during the winter time and am just fine during the summer.
Old 12-29-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's weird, I only get dried scalp during the winter time and am just fine during the summer.

Yep, that's how it usually works.
Old 12-29-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whenever I seem to have troubles, I turn to Denorex...nothing like the tingly scalp!
Old 12-29-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you been to the doctor? You could have something other than dandruff, maybe psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis as mentioned earlier. Go to http://www.psoriasis.org and check out the forums over there and search for scalp/dandruff/etc. You will find lots of people who post different methods for relieving their scalps.

I have psoriasis, mainly only on my scalp as long as I stay tan so I can feel your pain, literally. I use Walgreens brand of Neutrogena T-Gel and T-Sal, it has the same ingredients but is a lot cheaper and goes on sale every month or so. A couple of Bottles (around $12 for both) will last you a good amount of time.

Use the T-Sal first, which contains salicylic acid. It will remove the dead flaky skin from your scalp so that your scalp will be more receptive for treatment. Then use the T-Gel which contains coal toar. The coal tar extract will slow your scalps skin cell growth. As someone said earlier, you will need to leave each on your scalp for several minutes and more if you can. Almost until your hair is dry if possible.

What I usually do is wash my hair first thing in the shower with the T-Sal and leave it on while I wash the rest of my body. Then rinse and repeat if necessary. Right before I am done with my shower I wash my hair with the T-Gel but do not rinse it out just yet. Get out of the shower and leave it on. Put on a shower cap for best results and go shave or whatever else you do right after the shower. Then after you let it soak for a bit rinse your hair. If you are worried about the smell you can wash your hair with the Tea Tree shampoo that was mentioned after all of that.