Reload this Page >

Punishing the kids

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Punishing the kids

Old 12-28-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Punishing the kids

I was justing watching some news show and parents were up in arms over other parents using a drop of hotsauce to punish thier kids. Didn't sound like much of a punishment to me.

What forms of punishment do you use? I'm not a parent so can not commit really. Well I can but I would be full of it. And you know what it is, love.
Old 12-28-04, 04:04 PM
Banned

Was it for swearing? If so, that's a lot better than using soap like a lot of parents do. At least hot sauce is made for human consumption.
Old 12-28-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

guilt trip if they're old enough to know.

if they dont know what a guilt trip is, then by all means corporal punishment is fine by me
Old 12-28-04, 04:07 PM

Rub their nose in it and swat them with a newspaper, BOOOOOOOOYYYYYYY!
Old 12-28-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-28-04, 04:10 PM

Society is moving in the direction where it will not allow parents to use any physical punishment.

I wonder what kind of hot sauce they used? There is a big differance between tabasco and Blair's 5am. Then again, it will not be effective. Everyone can easily build up a tolerance to hot sauce. After a while the kids will start liking it.

The best way to deal with kids is to sit them down and talk to them. If they are unwilling to listen or pay attention, then sending them to their room is a good idea (as long as there is no tv or computer in the room). Force the kid to read a book.
Old 12-28-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whenever I don't get my way, I move out of the house. That shows 'em!
Old 12-28-04, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
Force the kid to read a book.
Or, if they've been REALLY bad, force them to read Book Talk.
Old 12-28-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
Force the kid to read a book.
A lifelong love of reading is born!
Old 12-28-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Or, if they've been REALLY bad, force them to read Book Talk.
Old 12-28-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It depends on the crime.

For my 2 year old, right now it's all about testing his boundries. So there's a lot of "that's a no-no" and some minor hand slapping - nothing too harsh. I have popped him on the butt a few times but all he does is laugh at me.

Now my 7 year old is a world of fun when it comes to crime and punishments. There's just so many fun things to do evil laugh.

If he's rude to me then he gets to write me a letter explaining why he acted like that and how he's going to make things better. Stupid things, like putting a hole in the wall for no reason get him extra chores. Dangerous things, like teaching his brother to slide down the stairs in a box, gets him yelled at sent to his room until I don't feel like I'm going to kill him anymore. If he's really mean to another child then he has to write that child an apology letter. If he was really mean then he gets the paddle (home made by my husband).

Sure spanking can work and so can time-outs but I prefer a punishment that is going to suck really bad so he won't do it again.
Old 12-28-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz

Bagginsss! Ssshire!!

On topic, my dad didn't use hot sauce to punish me, but sometimes he would promise me money if I ate a jalapeno.
Old 12-28-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard someone in the grocery store talking about that. The child had done something wrong and her punishment was to eat hot sauce. That would definitely work for my daughter, but it's kind of weird. They are more likely to throw it up or spit it out, and then what are you going to do, make them eat twice as much ? Unless you are making them eat massive amounts or they are allergic to some ingrediant, I don't see how it is cruel.
Old 12-28-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

My kids are 3 and 5 and we think spanking is wrong and can leave them scarred. So now when they do something wrong, we just look at them disapprovingly and say, "Kids that do that burn in hell for eternity", and shake our head in a sad manner.
Old 12-28-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
My kids are 3 and 5 and we think spanking is wrong and can leave them scarred. So now when they do something wrong, we just look at them disapprovingly and say, "Kids that do that burn in hell for eternity", and shake our head in a sad manner.

I've told my 7 year old several times that "God doesn't like it when you do that." Sometimes it works but usually he just stares at me like I've got green forks growing out of my head.
Old 12-28-04, 09:25 PM
sdk

You know they will realise that they have already done it and are gooing to hell anyway, then there will be no stopping them.
Old 12-28-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Timeouts worked wonders on my 2 year old, tell she learned she could crack me up by laughing. Timeouts don't work anymore. Still looking for an alternative.
Old 12-28-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well when I was in highschool one of girls I knew got pregnant. Her mom hacked off her hair. I do mean hacked. I still remember her crying about her on the bus.

Another time this girl this something bad and her mom was called in to school. Her mom made her take off her belt hand it to her and she beat her right then and there. I never seen her in the office (me being a nerd that helped in the office) so I guess it worked.
Old 12-28-04, 11:34 PM

The trick is to combine that with the hotsauce and have them FEEL like they're burning in Hell!
Old 12-29-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I approve of spanking and hot sauce, grounding and embarressment. I do not approve of time outs or anything that Dear Abby or Dr. Phil would suggest.