Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So, to whom did you give Christmas tips / bonuses?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-28-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering. I know that my garbageman, recycler, and normally the newspaper guy all give me Christmas cards with their addresses on them, but I never mail them money (or anything else, for that matter). I hate to set a precident and have them expecting money in future years.

Come to think of it, I didn't give out any tips or bonuses to anybody.

What about you? If you gave to somebody, who, and how much?
Old 12-28-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nobody
Old 12-28-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

I tip a lot, but I don't send tips, etc. to the garbage man, or others like that. I have given cookies to the UPS guy, but he brings me presents, so it is justified.
Old 12-28-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm giving my bartender (a young woman), a $25 Target GC for Christmas. A buddy and I meet for beers pretty much every Friday. She's always very nice, and starts pouring a pitcher for us as soon as we walk in the door. I get the impression from her that we're the only decent tippers in the joint.

...and it doesn't hurt that she's cute, either.
Old 12-28-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We got a thank you card from our letter carrier like two weeks before Christmas thanking us for our kind thoughts (preprinted with his name). We hadn't given him anything yet. So half of me was pissed and didn't want to give him anything, but the other half thought he might be trying to shake us down. So one or two days before Christmas we put a box of candy and a little cash in our box with his name on it. He left another note, but he had written on it thanking us for the stuff.

So the first time he must have been on autopilot stuffing them in boxes.

I got a cookie tray at work, that we gave to the vet for getting Mr Orange well after the BB incident. He hardly has a limp now, but the shaved spot is growing in very slowly.

And my wife and I went to an Irish pub for dinner on Christmas Eve. There was only the one girl on the floor (only a few customers), so we tipped her pretty good.
Old 12-28-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wadda hell?

No one.
Old 12-28-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree tipping is getting out of hand, like at Starbucks and such (though I did put my pocket change in the basket at Caribou Coffee last week because they were really nice, plus, they weren't Starbucks). But my wife gets a lot of packages that he brings up to the doors. So a little something didn't hurt.
Old 12-28-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I need to tip them for doing their job now ? They are now my friends so I should give them something for Christmas ?
Old 12-28-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Heat
I know that my garbageman, recycler, and normally the newspaper guy all give me Christmas cards with their addresses on them,

Holy crap, that actually happens? I've very rarely even seen (let alone talked to) the garbage man, mailman, etc. and definitely would be very surprised to get a card like that. I've never heard of that, but maybe it's not done in Canada. Fine with me, tipping gets ridiculous after awhile.
Old 12-28-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock
Holy crap, that actually happens? I've very rarely even seen (let alone talked to) the garbage man, mailman, etc. and definitely would be very surprised to get a card like that. I've never heard of that, but maybe it's not done in Canada. Fine with me, tipping gets ridiculous after awhile.

i think that only happens in Illinois.
Old 12-28-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just my housekeeper.

Stew
Old 12-29-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the lady at the chinese restraunt...fa ra ra ra ra....best christmas dinner ever
Old 12-29-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
I very rarely ever see them much less talked to them. They are just fishing for holiday tips, if even one house out of ten gives them $10, they will get a significant haul.