Reload this Page >

Rental car question.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Rental car question.

Old 12-22-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental car question.

I'm looking to rent a car for a road trip from Baltimore to New Orleans and back with stops for an approx 2500 miles. The best deal i can find so far is with Enterprise. Their mileage policy is this:

MILEAGE IS UNLIMITED WHEN VEHICLE REMAINS IN THE RENTING STATE OR BORDERING STATES. IF TRAVELING OUTSIDE OF THOSE STATES, MILEAGE IS CHARGED AT 150 FREE MILES PER DAY AND .30 FOR EACH ADDITIONAL MILE, FOR THE ENTIRE RENTAL

So my question is basically how would they know i drove beyond bordering states? I would be returning the car to the same place i got it.

Thanks
Old 12-22-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do they make you sign a form stating where you will be taking the car?

The only way they'd know is if you get a ticket or in a accident, unless they (tin hat) are tracking your car with GPS
Old 12-22-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I recall, Enterprise generally has a place on the rental form that says you agree to keep the car in ___ state(s), and you'd be violating the terms of the rental agreement by taking it out of state without adding the other states to the list.
Old 12-22-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Many rental companies today indeed do have GPS devices in the cars for this very reason.

I remember reading a story a few months back where a renter was hit with a pretty big bill upon returning the car. When he argued, they printed out a map generated by the tracking device which showed his entire journey.
Old 12-22-04, 12:22 PM
Banned

The answer is, they have no idea of knowing.

As for the GPS issue, a few rental companies tried to get this going for tracking and speed monitoring, but so far it has been declared illegal everywhere.

I would imagine that you would be given more than Baltimore as your "local area". I just used Enterprise in Chicago, and they let you go anywhere in Illinois and Wisconsin.
Old 12-22-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they do use the GPS device to track your travel routes, don't they have to disclose it to you? Otherwise, wouldn't that violate my privacy or sort?
Old 12-22-04, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zuffy
If they do use the GPS device to track your travel routes, don't they have to disclose it to you? Otherwise, wouldn't that violate my privacy or sort?
Woah! check this out:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in604461.shtml

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/cars/gps/
Old 12-22-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

{Adds extra layer to tinfoil hat}

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!

Seriously though- I wonder if these little rental car companies are still in business after the exposure.
Old 12-22-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is why I bring my own GPS when I rent a car. Fuck paying the GPS fee and possibly being caught speeding and going out of state.
Old 12-22-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zuffy
This is why I bring my own GPS when I rent a car. Fuck paying the GPS fee and possibly being caught speeding and going out of state.

Well if you don't read the legal sized terms & conditions (in a size 4 font), you may be tracked anyways.
Old 12-22-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nevermind
Well if you don't read the legal sized terms & conditions (in a size 4 font), you may be tracked anyways.
So true
Old 12-22-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I worked for Budget.

They will not know if you don't tell them but if you get into an accident you are fucked. Any insurance you had through them will be void and by lying on your contract your own insurance may not cover you. Proceed with caution.

When I left Budget they had unlimited mileage with no out of state additional charge, Are they that much more expensive?
Old 12-22-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, called a few offices. The first repeated the policy and said if we were pulled-over outside one of the states the contract wasn't applied to we'd be arrested and the car would be impounded. The second one told me to try BWI's. BWI's does. She says the website states the 'bordering state' but they don't honor that.
Old 12-22-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what were to happen if you jump rental companies ?

for ie- drive to the border of one state, then go to the next state and rent a car there?

of course it would be a hassle, but it would beat those fines/contract agreements.
Old 12-22-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
Get a U-Haul?
Old 12-22-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by automator
IWhen I left Budget they had unlimited mileage with no out of state additional charge, Are they that much more expensive?
I was checking with enterprise because they have 3-4 locations a few miles from me while the others were airport locations only.

I'm checking them all now, Budget is around the same.

Are there any companies that you can get XM or Sirius w/o having to get a premium car?
Old 12-22-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Get a U-Haul?
U-Haul does rent pickup trucks now, you don't have to be driving a moving van.
Old 12-22-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update:

http://ww3.komotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2544718
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...8/daily16.html
Old 12-22-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Uhaul company still charges $.xx/mile though.
Old 12-22-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is ridiculous that they would charge people for speeding. I mean, how fast would they have to be going? I travel across three states once a year to visit family, and for most of the trip, the speed limit is either 70 or 65, but I would say a good 80% or more of the drivers go 75-80 mph. I think it's actually SAFER to drive with the flow of traffic than be the car that forces everybody to pass you all the time. So would I get fined for going 80 in a 70 or 65 mph zone if that was what the flow of traffic was?

I don't object to these companies having GPS systems in their cars. They are THEIR cars, for crying out loud, and I also don't see a problem in letting them know what states I will be travelling in. Though, one time I accidently wound up just over the boarder of Wisconsin when I missed a turn off on a highway and had to go right over the boarder to turn around, and that would be wrong if they slammed you for something like that.

The GPS is all right, who cares, it is their property and they have a right to protect it, but this price gouging should be illegal. They are not traffic cops either, so I don't see where speeding is a problem, especially if it's with the flow of traffic.
Old 12-22-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check with a different rental company. Some don't have the bordering states exclusion. I don't think Avis does.
Old 12-22-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you try just telling them that you needed to go farther?

I often rent from Enterprise (both business & pleasure). They give me the same line, but then I tell them the specific reason I was renting a SUV or VAN was for a long family trip or might need to go to another state for business. They would just write right on the contract "OK to XXX and back" (XXX being the state). I know I have done that at least three or four times.
Old 12-22-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
the rental company does have discretion of discarding the extra charges. i was at enterprise to pick up a rental car last saturday, and i overheard that someone went over their mileage by a few hundred, but the CSR said they'd just write it off. but Sdallnct's point of telling them about what states you plan to go to would also work well.
Old 12-23-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the person i talked to from the airport said it's unlimited. The website says it's unlimited only in bordering states but the woman said it's a glitch of the website and they don't specify states. The only rule is i cannot cross the mississippi... so since i'm going to New Orleans it pretty much rules out enterprise.

Ended up with budget, cost about $40 more.

Last edited by schlitz100; 12-23-04 at 10:36 AM.