Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Board Games

Old 01-28-13, 12:27 AM

Re: Board Games

My favorites are Monopoly and Star Wars: The Queens Gambit I play those the most but one a side note, Has anyone ever played a game called Masterpiece, its an art auction game- I found a complete one from the 70's in my grandparents attic and wasent sure if it was any good?
Old 01-28-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Be careful with that Queen's Gambit game - it's worth a pretty penny.
Old 01-28-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I played masterpiece a ton growing up, don't think my parents have it any more, but we really liked it.
Old 01-28-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I played masterpiece a ton growing up, don't think my parents have it any more, but we really liked it.
Me and my brothers loved playing that game when we were kids.

Another game we liked was Dogfight.

Old 01-28-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We still play Catan regularly; probably 2-3 games a week. I recently picked up Puerto Rico on my iPad but haven't gone through the tutorial to learn how to play yet.
Old 01-28-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
I'm showing my age here, but anybody a fan of the original Stratego?. My favorite board game of all-time.

I always liked figuring out new strategies, like having a row of bombs, then a 7, then another row of bombs protecting the flag.

Another time my friend was almost gleeful as his 8 blew through a row of bombs and hit what he knew had to be my flag in the back row, only to find that it was my 2 instead. (I certainly could have used a 7 there too, but the sequence unleashed my 2 to wreak havoc since it was somewhat deep in the game. Don't remember if I ended up winning or not. )

A few years ago I got the LOTR version, but I still haven't opened it.

Old 01-28-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
I'm showing my age here, but anybody a fan of the original Stratego?. My favorite board game of all-time.
My older brother and I played the electronic version of Stratego all the time in the 80's.
Old 01-28-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Forgot to mention my wife grabbed me Werewolves of Miller's Hollow for Christmas. I haven't played it yet though. Requires more players than live in our household. Anyone else play it?

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
Doesn't spread out a huge amount, but might be tough to keep the tiles from sliding around on a plane.
Thanks. Sounds like it might be worth a shot. I'll report back.
Old 01-28-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For fans of Pandemic, you may like Forbidden Island. It's like Pandemic Light.

I just purchased Through The Desert. Pretty light game with simple mechanics for four players. Takes about 20-30 minutes to play.
Old 01-29-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Forgot to mention my wife grabbed me Werewolves of Miller's Hollow for Christmas. I haven't played it yet though. Requires more players than live in our household. Anyone else play it?

Thanks. Sounds like it might be worth a shot. I'll report back.
I have played Werewolves using index cards for the roles. It is just a reskinned version of the classic social game Mafia.It works well if you have a bunch of people.

Personally though, I recommend playing The Resistance. It is another traitor social game but it doesn't require a moderator so everyone gets to play. Werewolf typically requires one player to not really play but to run the game.

Originally Posted by MR Round View Post
My favorites are Monopoly and Star Wars: The Queens Gambit I play those the most but one a side note, Has anyone ever played a game called Masterpiece, its an art auction game- I found a complete one from the 70's in my grandparents attic and wasent sure if it was any good?
Modern Art is another good auction game with an art theme.

Also, someone mentioned Puerto Rico. I recently started playing the spinoff card game San Juan on my iPad and it is super fun. Far simpler than Puerto Rico and reminds me a good bit of Race For the Galaxy.
Old 01-29-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

I always liked figuring out new strategies, like having a row of bombs, then a 7, then another row of bombs protecting the flag.

Another time my friend was almost gleeful as his 8 blew through a row of bombs and hit what he knew had to be my flag in the back row, only to find that it was my 2 instead. (I certainly could have used a 7 there too, but the sequence unleashed my 2 to wreak havoc since it was somewhat deep in the game. Don't remember if I ended up winning or not. )

A few years ago I got the LOTR version, but I still haven't opened it.

The LOTR version is fun and the optional special abilities adds a bit more strategy. The thing that frustrates this Stratego old timer is that they decided to reverse the rankings... ie. 1 is less powerful than 2.
Old 01-29-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by edytwinky View Post
For fans of Pandemic, you may like Forbidden Island. It's like Pandemic Light.
We started with Forbidden Island. Pretty fun. It's a great intro game.
Old 01-29-13, 01:03 PM

One of my favorite games from childhood. Remember playing for hours with my older brother. Thought it would make a great movie!!

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1772/asteroid

Last edited by pelenor; 01-29-13 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
The thing that frustrates this Stratego old timer is that they decided to reverse the rankings... ie. 1 is less powerful than 2.
Sacrilege!
Old 01-29-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Sacrilege!
It turns out that the original ranking scheme was too difficult for today's youth to comprehend.
Old 01-30-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cannot recommend any game more than Risk: Legacy. It takes Risk, a game everyone knows, and then blows it out of the water with a campaign mechanism. My group is addicted.
Old 01-30-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
I cannot recommend any game more than Risk: Legacy. It takes Risk, a game everyone knows, and then blows it out of the water with a campaign mechanism. My group is addicted.
I worry that, given the nature of the "surprises" and physical changes to the board/cards/pieces, Risk: Legacy is kind of a one-time deal for players. Do you envision (or have you already) getting another copy and doing it all over again but with different bonuses and twists and expecting the same level of enjoyment?
Old 01-31-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I worry that, given the nature of the "surprises" and physical changes to the board/cards/pieces, Risk: Legacy is kind of a one-time deal for players. Do you envision (or have you already) getting another copy and doing it all over again but with different bonuses and twists and expecting the same level of enjoyment?
Well, I will be leaving my group in about 4 months. I could see myself playing it with another group where I end up. I look at it this way, its costs a little less than your average video game, which also has little replay value. Plus, its a bit more fun, and the smack talking is a bit awesome.
Old 01-31-13, 10:47 AM

I went with a board game theme for Christmas this year and it went over very well. We got the following games
King of Tokyo (with the expansion)
Smallworld
X-Wing Core set
Escape: curse of the Temple
Doctor Who the Card game
Ticket to Ride Europe

My kids have become my gaming group. We are playing a game every night when I get home from work. It's been a lot of fun. Someday I'm gonna dust off my Axis and Allies game and introduce them to that.
Old 01-31-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Loved Masterpiece as a kid! Loved it so much as a matter a fact, that I found the game and bought it as an adult. And even though I still have it, never got around to playing it. I remember bidding on masterpieces, and some of them are frauds and some are originals? I think I'll dig it out and play it with the fam!

Oh, and we just recently played CARDS AGAINST HUMANITY!! It's a horrible game for horrible people, so it was right up our alley. It's Apples for Apples, for demented people. We laughed so hard that we cried. And I ordered the two expansion packs and went through them already!! WARNING: ITS HIGHLY OFFENSIVE AND CAN BE SEXUAL IN NATURE SO NO KIDDOS!!
Old 02-01-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I have not picked it up yet, but I am not too concerned about the whole lack of replayability for one big reason.

I can probably count on one hand the number of board games I have that I have played 16 times.

Since that game takes, iirc, 16 times to go through all the surprises I imagine if I finished them all it would have been played more than just about any game in my collection besides chess and go.
Old 02-20-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
I played that one a few months ago in a group of four doing the learning version of the game as well and we were 1-1. Normal seems beatable, but I have no idea how you could win playing harder.
Update! Since my boss freed me up for good (dick!) a couple weeks ago my wife and I have been playing quite a bit. Here's our results thus far:

Difficulty: win/loss
Beginner: 3/3
Normal: 3/8

Normal is way more challenging, and on more than one occasion we'd be one move away from winning when we'd have our 8th outbreak, run out of cards or cubes and lose. That's frustrating being that close and losing. Between yesterday and today we've lost 5 straight. Need to go back to beginner for a moral victory. Started out Normal at a respectable 3/3.

Since we're playing two-player only, it also seems like you're doomed from the start if one of you aren't the medic or scientist. If we end up being both, that's when a win is nearly guaranteed. The two in tandem are almost too overpowered. The Dispatcher, researcher and operations expert seem more suited to a 3-4 player game.

Total ecstatic geek moment... I started out one game as the scientist and was dealt 4 blue cards. Boom! Cured blue virus on my first move. Doubt that will ever happen again.

Question for the Pandemic veterans though about curing viruses. Do you have to be in the corresponding color research station to cure that virus? i.e. do you have to be in the blue research center to cure blue or can you be in, say, a black research center and cure the blue virus?

We've been playing as color coordinating. To cure blue you have to be in blue. However after re-reading the instructions it appears that isn't the case. What say you folks?

Lastly has anyone here bought the expansion, Pandemic: On the Brink?
Old 02-20-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Research stations don't have colors. Just because they're built in a city doesn't mean it can only be used for that regions "native" disease. You build them for curing and shuttling conveniences. Way to make a hard game even harder!

I have On the Brink but haven't had a chance to play it yet. The petrie dishes are awesome, at least!
Old 02-20-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

that's what I was thinking, making it harder than it should be. In theory it's only 1 extra move to fly to the designated color, but if there's shit going down in a different region then it's an extra move back.

That's one of the problems that arise when it's just 2 people learning the game on our own.
Old 02-20-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Loved this game as a kid:

I'm also attracted to this game, which appears to have a similar mapping scheme. Has anyone played it?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.