Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Board Games

Old 03-20-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Board Games

I suck at deckbuilders. Dominion is short enough and limited enough that I do enjoy it. I need to give RFTG another try, the first time didn't go over well, but I've heard you have to get a few plays in before it clicks.
SW is good, and the Master Set is a pretty good deal. Plus it has room for the other factions - I have two of the smallbox sets and put everything in the box. Only thing that bugs me is that the board is in two pieces. Theoretically you can build your own deck, but it seems like "Take this card and these 19 cards, then add three of your own choice, to build a custom deck." If you're playing real deckbuilders, SW will not scratch that itch. But as a quick tactical game, it's a good one. Each faction really is quite different.
I like AH, but haven't played in a while. It doesn't take me long to set up, but it definitely does take a while to play.
Defenders has a Pandemic feel to it, it has an outbreak mechanism, but it differs in that it's fun. OK, maybe that's harsh - I don't like Pandemic - but Defenders isn't easily 'solved'. At any give time there are multiple things you need to be working on (protecting Monarch City, solving quests, cleansing taints, defeating minions, etc) and quite often there's multiple equally good and important choices to work on. I like it and since it's co-op it's playable solo, and it's not really susceptible to director syndrome. I've played games with new people who have said "So what should I do now?" and a lot of time, while I can say "Here's what you CAN do", I can't tell them what they SHOULD do, unlike lots of other co-ops.
Old 03-20-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly, my most played games are deck builders and co-op games.

I love Pandemic... but the theme is so dark I have friends who don't like to play it much. We will often go for Lord of the Rings, Ghost Stories (on the iPad), or even Forbidden Island.

Of the deckbuilders, Thunderstone is far and away my favorite. If anyone was considering trying it, the newest edition Advance is the perfect jumping on point. They rebooted the series, streamlined it, and it plays much quicker now.

I do have a collection though with a decent amount of variety. Mostly because I have sponsored an academic game club at my school for 7 years now and we basically play games from my collection. The local community club also primarily plays my copies as well.

dtcarson, you on the Geek? I am on the Geek a ton and post relatively frequently in the iOS gaming threads. My username is the same as here with the Xs removed.
Old 03-20-12, 07:18 PM

There's a really cool board game that's like chess with lasers called Khet. You move mirror-laden pieces on a board and then hit a button at the end of your turn which lights up a red laser that shoots out and travels all over the board hitting the mirrors. If it lands on a piece, that piece is removed from the board.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Laser-Game...2288927&sr=8-1

I recently played another cool board game called Kill Doctor Lucky, a sort of "reverse Clue." Instead of trying to figure out who killed Mr. Body, every player is trying to kill Dr. Lucky in one of the board's rooms with one of their weapons. Everyone else tries to save Dr. Lucky... so they can kill him, instead! It's a riot!

I picked up a copy of Axis and Allies on clearance at Target at the end of the holiday season a couple years ago and haven't found anybody who wants to invest 6 hours and play it. I assume it takes 6 hours for a decent game between adults. When I was in high school we would have weekend-long campaigns in my friend's basement. ...My mom says I'm cool, by the way, so...
Old 03-20-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Picked up Hive and Ticket to Ride. I've heard nothing but good things about TTR and saw a good YouTube review of Hive.
Hive is a fun abstract game. Nicely produced pieces as well. I have never bit the bullet on buying it but have been tempted to get wooden hexagons (or octagons, I don't remember) and make my own custom set with either wood burned insects or photos of the real ones.

Also, if you like the game, keep an eye out for For The Win! - Zombies, Pirates, Ninjas, Aliens, and Monkeys. It was Kickstarted recently and is extremely similar to Hive but with different characters and abilities. Looks kind of neat.

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I always loved the look of those games but never played them
I have always been a board game nerd. I loved the old bookcase games... and some of them went for some serious cash. I sold an old copy of Dune for a decent chunk of change.

Originally Posted by DaveCole View Post
Anyone else tried Risk: Legacy? You tear up cards and mark on the board as you play. Certain actions let you open packets of cards and other things to add to the game. We have finished 7 games and still have two packets to open plus the "Do Not Open Ever!" pack.

Also curious if anyone else from dvdtalk is going to BGG Con this year?
I want to get it at some point and play with my daughter. I think it would be cool to have a board all marked up by games between my little girl and I. The mushy father and the gamer geek in me both love this idea.

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
I was a big Avalon Hill fan back in the day. My dad and I would play them together, but my friends were never interested.

Looking back the games we played were fun because we were playing each other, but not really the best games. They appealed to my love of strategy, numbers, and small cardboard pieces. I much prefer the more recent spate of german-style (and german-style influenced) board games.
I go back and forth. Some of those classic Ameritrash games just had such a fun theme. I loved Wizards! Some though simply involved dice rolling and hundreds of chits.

I tend though to prefer Euro influenced games that still maintain a theme. I freaking love Agricola for instance.
Old 03-20-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
There's a really cool board game that's like chess with lasers called Khet. You move mirror-laden pieces on a board and then hit a button at the end of your turn which lights up a red laser that shoots out and travels all over the board hitting the mirrors. If it lands on a piece, that piece is removed from the board.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Laser-Game...2288927&sr=8-1

I recently played another cool board game called Kill Doctor Lucky, a sort of "reverse Clue." Instead of trying to figure out who killed Mr. Body, every player is trying to kill Dr. Lucky in one of the board's rooms with one of their weapons. Everyone else tries to save Dr. Lucky... so they can kill him, instead! It's a riot!

I picked up a copy of Axis and Allies on clearance at Target at the end of the holiday season a couple years ago and haven't found anybody who wants to invest 6 hours and play it. I assume it takes 6 hours for a decent game between adults. When I was in high school we would have weekend-long campaigns in my friend's basement. ...My mom says I'm cool, by the way, so...
Khet is also neat but I found it to be fiddly to try to play. I continuously wanted a mist spray to see the stupid laser.

Kill Doctor Lucky is fun but I think takes a little too long for the fun I have. Personally, for deduction, I don't think it gets much better than Mr. Jack.

Or for induction, play Zendo!
Old 03-20-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't visualize how the cards will work together well enough to be a good deckbuilder-er. I dabbled in Magic in college but not much, and not well.

Pandemic is pretty depressing. I like Forbidden Island, it's a great game to share with nongamers, and the theme is much more fun than Pandemic. I like co-ops too. I've got AH, Elder Sign, Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, Defenders, Gears of War; Catacombs can be one-vs-many, Castle Ravenloft, Flash Point, Red November, for co-ops. They're not all I like but I do like them a lot.

That's awesome that you have a game club. I'm in some board game meetups but I don't host or drive anything. We were going to have a group at work but it got nixed for some reason.

I am on BGG, same user name. My activity level there is intermittent, but I'll Buddy you there.

Khet is cool for the lasers. It is a hassle to set back up after a game, and it seems like it's real easy to get stuck in a defensive series of moves. That might be the point, though.

I've got FTW coming. I initially had one of the 5.00 copies, then with all the hubbub and confusion and limited-extras, I ended up getting the 3 copy level. I figured, with the 4 player expansion pieces, that's basically 6 copies, and I could always use one as trade fodder or math trade sweetener or a gift.
I've kickstarted Carnival, Creatures, Flash Point, FTW, D Day Dice (wish I had gotten in on the Line for Life), Farmageddon, and just last night, Agents of Smersh.
It's funny, Flash Point keeps getting referred to as a "great family game" - while the game is nice, and has good components, I see it as too fiddly and a little confusion for a family game. And maybe it's just my luck, but when I've played it, we've gotten our butts kicked.

Is Zendo the colored pyramid one? That is - interesting. I don't know if I think of that as a game, but I could see that being a great mental activity for certain groups. I played with 3 other people and when we each had a turn creating the rules, we were done playing. Maybe my brain just doesn't think that way. It definitely gives the induction skills a workout.
Old 03-20-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
I can't visualize how the cards will work together well enough to be a good deckbuilder-er. I dabbled in Magic in college but not much, and not well.

Pandemic is pretty depressing. I like Forbidden Island, it's a great game to share with nongamers, and the theme is much more fun than Pandemic. I like co-ops too. I've got AH, Elder Sign, Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, Defenders, Gears of War; Catacombs can be one-vs-many, Castle Ravenloft, Flash Point, Red November, for co-ops. They're not all I like but I do like them a lot.
I missed Flash Point and am super curious about it. At some point I will pick it up to play as a family game as well. Of the ones you named, I also have Ravenloft and Castle Panic. Gears looks cool but is FF and hella expensive. I also have that co-op WH40K game... Angels of Death maybe?

That's awesome that you have a game club. I'm in some board game meetups but I don't host or drive anything. We were going to have a group at work but it got nixed for some reason.

I am on BGG, same user name. My activity level there is intermittent, but I'll Buddy you there.

Khet is cool for the lasers. It is a hassle to set back up after a game, and it seems like it's real easy to get stuck in a defensive series of moves. That might be the point, though.

I've got FTW coming. I initially had one of the 5.00 copies, then with all the hubbub and confusion and limited-extras, I ended up getting the 3 copy level. I figured, with the 4 player expansion pieces, that's basically 6 copies, and I could always use one as trade fodder or math trade sweetener or a gift.
I also have FTW coming as well, and a 5$ copy. I was one of the grumpy people bitching about their shenanigans on the Geek and their Kickstarter page.

I've kickstarted Carnival, Creatures, Flash Point, FTW, D Day Dice (wish I had gotten in on the Line for Life), Farmageddon, and just last night, Agents of Smersh.
Let's see. I kickstarted Creatures, Smersh (at the level with the book), VivaJava, Skittykitts, Omens (2nd edition), Shadow Days, Frankendie, D-Day Dice, and Eaten By Zombies.

Eaten was terrible, but since I had the Kickstarter exclusives I traded it for games valued more than I paid for it. Creatures has been a bunch of fun with the family. All the rest I am still waiting to receive.

Is Zendo the colored pyramid one? That is - interesting. I don't know if I think of that as a game, but I could see that being a great mental activity for certain groups. I played with 3 other people and when we each had a turn creating the rules, we were done playing. Maybe my brain just doesn't think that way. It definitely gives the induction skills a workout.
Yeah, Zendo uses Icehouse pieces (which became Treehouse pieces). I used to actually be a huge Looney Labs fan. I wrote a couple lesson plans for some of their games that they had posted in their old website targeting teachers. IMO, Zendo and Binary Homeworlds are two of the best games you can play with the pieces. Penguin Soccer and Pikemen is also fun if you have enough stashes.

I'm stocked though, I have 20 stashes of the pieces since I teach a high school elective on games and gaming.

edit: If you are curious about Thunderstone it can be played for free on Yucata.de (but can be hard to learn) or on Facebook through their app. The app has a campaign that teaches you the game then you can buy new campaigns with whatever currency FB uses. I'm personally waiting for the iOS implementation.

edit the second: There are two dtcarsons. Plain dtcarson and dtcarson25. Which are you?
Old 03-20-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
I missed Flash Point and am super curious about it. At some point I will pick it up to play as a family game as well. Of the ones you named, I also have Ravenloft and Castle Panic. Gears looks cool but is FF and hella expensive. I also have that co-op WH40K game... Angels of Death maybe?
Space Hulk Death Angel - the card layout one. That one's interesting. Pretty tense. About two hours after my brother told me he wanted GoW for Christmas, Amazon had it for 34.99 - so I bought two. Occasionally I'll find a deal
I need to give Flash Point another try. I've only played it like twice and the first was a solo learning game (as in, read the directions as I play).

I also have FTW coming as well, and a 5$ copy. I was one of the grumpy people bitching about their shenanigans on the Geek and their Kickstarter page.
heh, I'm pretty sure I saw your posts There was a not-nice atmosphere going on there for a while, and everyone was at least a little bit in the right.

Let's see. I kickstarted Creatures, Smersh (at the level with the book), VivaJava, Skittykitts, Omens (2nd edition), Shadow Days, Frankendie, D-Day Dice, and Eaten By Zombies.
I've heard mixed reviews on EBZ. I'm looking forward to Smersh, I like ToTAN as an experience, hopefully Smersh will be a little bit better game as well. I saw VivaJava but I know I'd never have occasion to play it. I'll have to check out the others you mention.

Eaten was terrible,
Oh - yeah I heard a lot of that. It sounded like an interesting concept, with the shrinking of hands, but I guess it just wasn't implemented well.
but since I had the Kickstarter exclusives I traded it for games valued more than I paid for it.

Creatures has been a bunch of fun with the family. All the rest I am still waiting to receive. ,
Nice, it's good you were able to recoup your investment on EBZ. That's the risk with Kickstarter, we can either get in on the ground floor or something really cool, or get burned and/or ripped off. I've been lucky so far.
How many have you played Creatures with? If I play with 2 or 3 it plays fine, but I played with either 5 or 6 one time and it really dragged. It is a fun family type game. I need to either browse BGG or re-read the directions (both pages of them) because the flow of the game during a battle seems a little awkward - it definitely gets confusing in a 2 player game.

Yeah, Zendo uses Icehouse pieces (which became Treehouse pieces). I used to actually be a huge Looney Labs fan. I wrote a couple lesson plans for some of their games that they had posted in their old website targeting teachers. IMO, Zendo and Binary Homeworlds are two of the best games you can play with the pieces. Penguin Soccer and Pikemen is also fun if you have enough stashes.

I'm stocked though, I have 20 stashes of the pieces since I teach a high school elective on games and gaming.

edit: If you are curious about Thunderstone it can be played for free on Yucata.de (but can be hard to learn) or on Facebook through their app. The app has a campaign that teaches you the game then you can buy new campaigns with whatever currency FB uses. I'm personally waiting for the iOS implementation.
That's a class I would gladly sign up for! I'll check out Thunderstone on FB, I've gotten a little more active there. My iphone was giving my trouble and I got a new Android phone so I'm left out of a lot of iOS only apps/games (I don't have a pad either.)
Old 03-20-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have played Creatures exclusively with three people.

VivaJava was a lock for me because:

1. I am a coffee junkie who likes to try all these single origin roasts from various coffee houses.
2. In the designer blog the guy talks about working out some of the ideas in a bar I used to visit in college in my college town.

So the guy felt kind of local, the game looked nicely produced, and the theme was drooly.

As for FTW, I was pretty disgruntled when it all went down and I think Tasty Minstrel Games handled it really poorly. But then I got over it. With only paying 5$ I know I can more than get my money out of it if I hate it.

Also, you missed my second edit. Which dtcarson on the Geek are you.
Old 03-20-12, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post

It's funny, Flash Point keeps getting referred to as a "great family game" - while the game is nice, and has good components, I see it as too fiddly and a little confusion for a family game. And maybe it's just my luck, but when I've played it, we've gotten our butts kicked.
I have played Flash Point a few times. We had a couple times where we actually managed to win. The ones we lost, people spent more time fighting the fire than rescuing people. I think I like the dice a little better than the cards play from Pandemic. Makes it a little more random.

Kickstarter is going to break me. I did Carnival, Flash Point, Divided Republic, D-Day Dice Line for Life, Fleet, Gunship Captain Level, Eminent Domain, FTW, & Exile Sun. The last five only because Eric Carter was the artist. Also have Smersh, the Order of the Stick tpbs, Miskatonic School for Girls, EBZ (That one was a bit disappointing), Castle Dash, Super Showdown, Rise, & Empires of the Void.
Old 03-20-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only invested in games at KS, but there are some other projects that definitely tempted my wallet. It can't continue for too long at its current pace, at least in some industries, but I do really like the opportunities it gives to some independent developers/designers.

The dice do make FP more random than the cards, and I do like dice, but we kept having to reroll or having flashes (or whatever they're called).

Sorry, I did indeed miss your edit. I'm plain dtcarson there, no numbers. (maybe "plain" isn't the right word - "no frills"? not much better.)

That's cool about the college town coffee shop link. The game does look nicely produced and it does look like a good game, it's just not a style that I need to get in on the ground floor at.

I have to say, I'm actually hoping FTW is better than I think it'll be. I've played Belfort, which is good and is definitely well produced, but I don't think I'd like Jab and Train of Thought has never worked well the few times I've played it. One of my meetup groups does a lot of party games, and I thought ToT would be a good fit, but it hasn't gone over well. Sometimes I get drawn in to the hype
Old 03-21-12, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone ever play the game Acquire? I have a friend who has the game and from time to time we get 5 or 6 guys together and play a few games. I also know of an online server that hosts games.
Old 03-23-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Played a few games of Hive last night and I LOVE IT. It is very addicting and very fun! I also just ordered the mosquito and ladybug expansion pieces to play with it as well. Here's a nice quick review video I first saw that made me interested.

Old 03-23-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The mosquito takes it to an entirely different level - in a bad way for me. I prefer the simplicity (in a complex way) of the original game.
Old 03-23-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got Cards Against Humanity which is basically an adult version of Apples to Apples. Looking forward to playing it
Old 03-23-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Fireball Island is my favorite board game.

Got this from a co-worker a year ago or so just about complete, and picked up the missing pieces from eBay.
Old 03-23-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They just gave you Fireball Island? They didn't check ebay first? Thing is worth a fortune. I wish I could find mine.
Old 03-23-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
They just gave you Fireball Island? They didn't check ebay first? Thing is worth a fortune. I wish I could find mine.
No, I wish.....paid $100 for it.
Old 03-24-12, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was checking out Hive, looks like a neat game.

Just wanted to point out that Hive Carbon includes both the ladybug and mosquito expansions, and is just a few dollars more than regular Hive ($28 vs. $24, on Amazon).

Also, you can get the Hive iPhone app for 99 cents.

Last edited by Heat; 03-24-12 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-04-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This beauty came in the mail to join my Fireball Island. Crash Canyon

Old 01-27-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
Just tried 7 Wonders http://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-SEV-EN.../dp/B0043KJW5M this past weekend and that was a lot of fun. Each person starts w/ a civilization they are trying to develop and a "wonder" to build. It is played in 3 rounds, during which you attempt to gather resources, build structures that give you bonuses and work on your wonder. This is done by passing cards between the players which happens simultaneously so everyone stays engaged. There are a lot of different strategies you can take to collect the most victory points and you generally don't know who is in the lead/winner until the end. It is also a very quick game, we were able to play two games, w/ only one person having played it before, in about an hour and half.
Fantastic game.

Been playing 7 Wonders with friends the past couple weeks. Love the mechanics and the multiple strategies it takes to win a game.

Just picked up the Cities expansion and look forward to giving that a try.
Old 01-27-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Never heard of Crash Canyon. Is it made by the same people as Fireball Island, or is it a knock off type deal?

I got my wife Pandemic for Christmas. We've only played it twice but we love it. We've only done the intro/learning version of the game. Our W-L record is 1-1. We'll probably do one more of the intro version before stepping up to Normal play. We haven't tried 3 or more players yet, but look forward to it.

The quality of the board, pieces, box, cards, etc. is phenomenal. Well worth the price of admission.

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Played a few games of Hive last night and I LOVE IT. It is very addicting and very fun! I also just ordered the mosquito and ladybug expansion pieces to play with it as well. Here's a nice quick review video I first saw that made me interested.

I've had my eye on that one(the Carbon one; like the B&W look) for a couple months. I have a trip coming up soon with my wife and figured we'd grab it then. Think it's small enough to play on a plane, or does it spread out a bunch?
Old 01-27-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doesn't spread out a huge amount, but might be tough to keep the tiles from sliding around on a plane.

Another game similar to Hive is For The Win. A bonus of FTW is it has an iPhone version available so you could play the video game version on the plane without pieces sliding around.
Old 01-27-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I got my wife Pandemic for Christmas. We've only played it twice but we love it. We've only done the intro/learning version of the game. Our W-L record is 1-1. We'll probably do one more of the intro version before stepping up to Normal play. We haven't tried 3 or more players yet, but look forward to it.

The quality of the board, pieces, box, cards, etc. is phenomenal. Well worth the price of admission.
I played that one a few months ago in a group of four doing the learning version of the game as well and we were 1-1. Normal seems beatable, but I have no idea how you could win playing harder.
Old 01-27-13, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm showing my age here, but anybody a fan of the original Stratego?. My favorite board game of all-time.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.