Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Board Games

Old 01-27-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Board Games

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
It's all anonymous, how do you intentionally not award a point to someone who is in the lead?
Hrm? Maybe we were playing it wrong.

We played it so one each person played their card and explained why they should get the point. Charisma and eloquence came into play.
Old 01-27-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, you're doing it wrong.

You turn in your cards upside down so no one knows who turned in what. The dealer shuffles them so he doesn't know either. Then he flips them over, everyone has a good laugh at the responses and the dealer picks the one they like best.
Old 01-27-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can play it either way - the rules say you can lobby for your answer if you want to, and on the flip side it's best to keep quiet about what your answer is if you have the lead and only need one more FTW.
Old 01-27-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
What he said. Modern Art is a really good auction/bidding game. I own it and really enjoy playing it but have a hard time finding folks who want to play. I love how well balanced the thing is.
I like Modern Art, however the big problem with it that I see is that all players need to know what they are doing. A person can easily screw themselves or other players by wildly overbidding or underbidding on an auction, and it's difficult to have a good idea of value as a new player. I think Medici suffers the same problem.

I think the best auction game by Knizia is Ra. It's a bit more forgiving while still including strategy and interesting decisions.
Old 01-27-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree that is a problem. Modern Art is a very Euro game and one that requires a play or two to really understand what you ought to be doing.

I will admit though, I am a little bit of a Dr. Knizia fanboy and like almost everything i have played he has done.

Recently though I have been on a big Dungeon Twister kick. That is a really nicely designed and balanced game imo.
Old 01-28-10, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rabbit77 View Post
You can play it either way - the rules say you can lobby for your answer if you want to, and on the flip side it's best to keep quiet about what your answer is if you have the lead and only need one more FTW.
When it's anonymous, I've found we end up lobbying for someone else's card if it's better than your own. In that scenario, silence is golden.
Old 01-28-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I for one, enjoy a game of Carcassonne, from time to time.
Old 03-18-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone big into Axis and Allies? Just picked up Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940.
Old 03-18-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was back in the day. I haven't played it though since the golden days of Avalon Hill bookcase games. We played Axis and Allies and Fortress America a good bit.
Old 03-19-12, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Anyone big into Axis and Allies? Just picked up Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940.
It's funny you mention that; I was just looking at the versions available over the weekend. I just picked up the 15th Anniversary edition of Catan, which has re-kindled our love of board games. My brother and I used to play A&A all the time growing up. How's the Pacific version? It was the one I was leaning towards.
Old 03-19-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Starting April 2nd a new web series on Board Games is starting, FYI.

http://geekandsundry.com/tabletop/
Old 03-20-12, 08:08 AM

Just tried 7 Wonders http://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-SEV-EN.../dp/B0043KJW5M this past weekend and that was a lot of fun. Each person starts w/ a civilization they are trying to develop and a "wonder" to build. It is played in 3 rounds, during which you attempt to gather resources, build structures that give you bonuses and work on your wonder. This is done by passing cards between the players which happens simultaneously so everyone stays engaged. There are a lot of different strategies you can take to collect the most victory points and you generally don't know who is in the lead/winner until the end. It is also a very quick game, we were able to play two games, w/ only one person having played it before, in about an hour and half.
Old 03-20-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up Hive and Ticket to Ride. I've heard nothing but good things about TTR and saw a good YouTube review of Hive.
Old 03-20-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Which version of TTR did you get? I have the Nordic version since it allows for 2 player games. Fun game for sure.
Old 03-20-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just picked up the basic version, since it'll be my first go around with it, but looks really enjoyable.
Old 03-20-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure they're all the same, just on different maps. The Nordic one can be used for 2 player games since the board is smaller than the EU or US versions.
Old 03-20-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I'm pretty sure they're all the same, just on different maps.
Nope. Ticket to Ride Europe has things not in the US version. I think Nordic does as well.
Old 03-20-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
I was back in the day. I haven't played it though since the golden days of Avalon Hill bookcase games. We played Axis and Allies and Fortress America a good bit.
I always loved the look of those games but never played them
Old 03-20-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Nope. Ticket to Ride Europe has things not in the US version. I think Nordic does as well.
Oh, I didn't know that. What are the differences between US and EU? I've only played the Nordic version.
Old 03-20-12, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Oh, I didn't know that. What are the differences between US and EU? I've only played the Nordic version.
Europe added tunnels, ferries, and train stations.
Train stations let you use another players track to complete your destination.
The tunnels and ferries work like they do in Nordic.
None of these were in the original version.
Old 03-20-12, 12:12 PM

Anyone else tried Risk: Legacy? You tear up cards and mark on the board as you play. Certain actions let you open packets of cards and other things to add to the game. We have finished 7 games and still have two packets to open plus the "Do Not Open Ever!" pack.

Also curious if anyone else from dvdtalk is going to BGG Con this year?
Old 03-20-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I always loved the look of those games but never played them
I was a big Avalon Hill fan back in the day. My dad and I would play them together, but my friends were never interested.

Looking back the games we played were fun because we were playing each other, but not really the best games. They appealed to my love of strategy, numbers, and small cardboard pieces. I much prefer the more recent spate of german-style (and german-style influenced) board games.
Old 03-20-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone happen to have a Tornado Rex? I've been looking for one for a while.

Old 03-20-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

7 Wonders is almost - not quite - but almost the new Dominion at some of the events I've gone to. I'll play it, but something about it just doesn't strike me right.

I've been playing Rat a Tat Cat, Carnival, Citadels, Jaipur, Summoner Wars, and Can't Stop with my boy recently. All short and accessible to play before (his) bedtime. Although I need to clear off the table and get another game of Defenders of the Realm in, I love that one. (I met Richard Launius in January and got him to sign my copy of Defenders and Elder Sign - I didn't have Arkham Horror with me though.)

I forgot BGG.con registration went live yesterday. Arg, I would love to go but it'd be like 1000 bucks for me and I'm pretty sure I can't commit that. Then again, last year I bought a ticket and was able to resell it so at least I didn't lose any money. I've got two relatively local mini-cons I can get to so at least I'm not totally dry.

Risk Legacy sounds intriguing, and definitely novel.

I think a reprint of Fortress America is coming out in the near future.
Old 03-20-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
7 Wonders is almost - not quite - but almost the new Dominion at some of the events I've gone to. I'll play it, but something about it just doesn't strike me right.

I've been playing Rat a Tat Cat, Carnival, Citadels, Jaipur, Summoner Wars, and Can't Stop with my boy recently. All short and accessible to play before (his) bedtime. Although I need to clear off the table and get another game of Defenders of the Realm in, I love that one. (I met Richard Launius in January and got him to sign my copy of Defenders and Elder Sign - I didn't have Arkham Horror with me though.)

I forgot BGG.con registration went live yesterday. Arg, I would love to go but it'd be like 1000 bucks for me and I'm pretty sure I can't commit that. Then again, last year I bought a ticket and was able to resell it so at least I didn't lose any money. I've got two relatively local mini-cons I can get to so at least I'm not totally dry.

Risk Legacy sounds intriguing, and definitely novel.

I think a reprint of Fortress America is coming out in the near future.
I have yet to play 7 Wonders. Nobody I know owns it and I just missed getting into a group to try it at Origins last year.

Summoner Wars is another one I would love to play. I tried it at Origins a couple years back when Plaid Hat first released it and enjoyed it. Now the Master set is out and I am tempted to bite... but will hold off for the iOS implementation to really see.

Arkham Horror was one I loved but after a couple years dropped in my esteem. It just takes so long to play/setup and I have equally fun games that play so much faster. I am curious about Defender of the Realms though...

Lately I have been continuing my deck builder addiction: Thunderstone, Nightfall, Star Trek. I also just bought a non-deck builder, Race for the Galaxy that came highly recommended but haven't played it yet.

edit: Never been to BGG.com - the ticket price is hella high. I will be at my first GenCon though this year!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.