Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Board Games

Old 01-01-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to get pedestrian, but have any of you tried the digital choice version of Trivial Pursuit? I almost bought it on clearance at Target tonight, but then saw it's only $15 at amazon, but the reviews are mixed. Is it worth it? (or are there any other great sleeper trivia games out there I should look into?)
Old 01-01-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Not to get pedestrian, but have any of you tried the digital choice version of Trivial Pursuit? I almost bought it on clearance at Target tonight, but then saw it's only $15 at amazon, but the reviews are mixed. Is it worth it? (or are there any other great sleeper trivia games out there I should look into?)
I played with it for a few minutes at Toys R Us the other day. The sample questions seemed much simpler than what i have seen in the tabletop version but it seemed just like Trivial Pursuit (at least the asking questions portion).
Old 01-01-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I saw it on clearance at Wal-Mart.

I had similar thoughts...wondering if it might be worth it. Then realized there's probably a reason it's on clearance, so I passed on it.
Old 01-01-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish I could find a regular group to play Euro games in my area that either isn't 1) Completely populated by people my students age, or 2) so outrageously dorky I die laughing upon walking inside.

As it is now, I have to get good two player games (which are fairly rare) and get my g/f to play.
Old 01-01-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
I wish I could find a regular group to play Euro games in my area that either isn't 1) Completely populated by people my students age, or 2) so outrageously dorky I die laughing upon walking inside.

As it is now, I have to get good two player games (which are fairly rare) and get my g/f to play.
http://www.brettspielwelt.de/?nation=en
Old 01-02-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post

Same here but i live in a small town.

There isn't even a board game shop within an hour of me.
Old 01-02-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friends of our came over and they brought over "Are you smarter than a 5th Grader?" DVD board game.
The game is similar to the game show but Jeff Foxworthy gets annoying really fast after a few games. I'm not sure the game is worth the full price but if you see it on sale, it might be something to pass the time with friends.
Old 01-25-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Board Games

This is a card game, but I spent a good portion of my weekend playing Dominion for the first time. I've never been into any of these European style games but this game was so good I found myself thinking about it while I wasn't even playing anymore.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion
Old 01-25-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rabbit77 View Post
This is a card game, but I spent a good portion of my weekend playing Dominion for the first time. I've never been into any of these European style games but this game was so good I found myself thinking about it while I wasn't even playing anymore.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion
Damn good choice!

I have played many games of Dominion. I own the base game and both expansions and heartily recommend all of it. I will admit though, the Seaside expansion is a recent acquisition and i haven't had a chance to get it on the table yet.

I did however run a multi-week Dominion tournament for the school club that i sponsor and the kids loved it.
Old 01-25-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My bro-in-law brought it over Friday, and on Saturday I went to the mall and paid full price for my own copy because I couldn't wait to put in an Amazon order. Fun fun fun.
Old 01-25-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My bro-in-law brought it over Friday, and on Saturday I went to the mall and paid full price for my own copy because I couldn't wait to put in an Amazon order. Fun fun fun.
I agree entirely. I paid full price for Seaside for a similar reason.

For those who don't know anything about the game. It is all the fun of a CCG without chasing boosters and rare cards. Basically each game consists of 10 main card types (chosen intentionally or randomly depending upon what the players want) and as the game progresses everyone "buys" cards from that common pool. This allows you to set up combos (like any good CCG) but the combos are available to all players.... as long as they see the plan themselves.

A great game for 2-4 people that (once everyone knows the rules) plays in 45 minutes.

I actually dropped the cash and bought plastic sleeves for all my cards. This should allow my copy to survive a good bit longer being played at the club.
Old 01-25-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny you should say that about the plastic sleeves - The mall wanted $10 for 100 count and I thought that was ridiculous - it would have been more expensive than the set itself. I'm looking around and can't find anything cheaper than $15...
Old 01-25-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny you should say that about the plastic sleeves - The mall wanted $10 for 100 count and I thought that was ridiculous - it would have been more expensive than the set itself. I'm looking around and can't find anything cheaper than $15...
The game came with a flyer for a company online that sells sleeves. It also included a code that gave you 25% off the order. I think i spent like 35$ or 40$ and got 2000 sleeves. I was able to sleeve all 3 (base game and expansions) and a couple other games as well. Iirc the code was "DOMINION" but if your copy doesn't have the flyer in it let me know and i will hunt mine down. It was a generic code used for all copies.
Old 01-25-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the box when I get home. Also, one question about the gameplay. When you play the Militia card, how are you supposed to determine what cards the other players must discard? The way we did it, the person who plays the Militia card picks the two cards, sight unseen. The two cards before they are discarded, are revealed to all the players. Is this the right way?
Old 01-25-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is not how i would play it. Since it says "Each other player discards down to 3 cards in their hand" I play it as if it was a normal discard thing and they get to choose. There are other cards that declare an opponent discards at random.
Old 01-25-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The player(s) affected choose which cards to discard.
Old 01-26-10, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
When it comes to board games, nothing beats the classics. I would have to go with Yahtzee, Scrabble, and Risk as my favorites (excluding Chess).
Spoken like someone that has not played modern board games.
Old 01-26-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
That is not how i would play it. Since it says "Each other player discards down to 3 cards in their hand" I play it as if it was a normal discard thing and they get to choose. There are other cards that declare an opponent discards at random.
Originally Posted by Duran View Post
The player(s) affected choose which cards to discard.
Thanks for clearing that up. I guess we inadvertently made the Militia card too powerful.
Old 01-26-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was never in a gathering of people who DIDN'T have a ball with APPLES TO APPLES. And it can be played almost anywhere.
Old 01-26-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some of my favorites:

Settlers of Catan
Scattergories
Taboo
Sequence (can be played by 2, 3, 4 or 6 players). Cut-throat and team variations based on # of players.
Balderdash

Bandu is another fun game. I picked up a complete one on eBay after getting help here on remembering the name.

The Bus, is Modern Art the same as the Parker Bros. game Masterpiece or is it slightly different?

Last edited by Nefarious; 01-26-10 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-27-10, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post

The Bus, is Modern Art the same as the Parker Bros. game Masterpiece or is it slightly different?
Nope, not even close. Here's a quick video review/explanation of Modern Art.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...ere-are-rules-
Old 01-27-10, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I was never in a gathering of people who DIDN'T have a ball with APPLES TO APPLES. And it can be played almost anywhere.
In my experience, people that like Apples to Apples love Say Anything! Also check out Wits and Wagers for a great party game.
Old 01-27-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I know several people who abhor Apples to Apples for the simple reason it is so much a judgment call. They hate the fact that another player decides who has the best answer and is often not logical. I don't mind that part so much but i do hate how easy it can be to play kingmaker in that game and intentionally not award a point to someone who is ahead.

Originally Posted by montag View Post
Nope, not even close. Here's a quick video review/explanation of Modern Art.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...ere-are-rules-
What he said. Modern Art is a really good auction/bidding game. I own it and really enjoy playing it but have a hard time finding folks who want to play. I love how well balanced the thing is.
Old 01-27-10, 02:12 PM

Wits and Wagers is a great party game
Mr. Jack is a fantastic 2 player game. I recently just played the New York expansion.
Other favorites
Puerto Rico
Ticket to Ride
Dominion
Tigris and Euphrates
Stone Age
Also love the classic Axis and Allies
Old 01-27-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
I know several people who abhor Apples to Apples for the simple reason it is so much a judgment call. They hate the fact that another player decides who has the best answer and is often not logical. I don't mind that part so much but i do hate how easy it can be to play kingmaker in that game and intentionally not award a point to someone who is ahead.
It's all anonymous, how do you intentionally not award a point to someone who is in the lead?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.