Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Board Games

Old 12-27-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
I got Heroscape master set for Christmas, and I like it. Apart from setting up the world which can take a while (once we set up for the first scenario, we haven't changed it again yet) and finding which hole the pieces go in at the end of the game, it's fun. The basic game is easy enough for my 6 year old to play, the advanced game adds more strategy, although when I played with my wife we sort of mixed the rules (drafting armies and using certain glyphs). At its core is very similar to Risk, so there's definitely luck involved, but in a more fantasy/fantastic setting, and there is some strategy with using your armies and the special skills.
I know it's pitched as a kiddy game, and lots of board game aficionados sneer upon it because of that and it's sold in mainstream stores, but it's still fun.
I really enjoyed Heroscape. It is simple like you said but contains enough strategy to be entertaining. The fact it can entice kids into board gaming because it looks like a toy is a bonus.
Old 12-27-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a "board" game, but whenever my board game friends and I get together, Munchkin (card game) is almost always on the list. We recently tried out The Good, The Bad and The Munchkin and are awaiting Munchkin Booty.

Has anyone played Munchkin Quest, the new board game version?
Old 12-27-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The board game group i sponsor has been recently playing Star Munchkin about every week. The kids really dig the game. I find it simultaneously fun and frustrating. The game is so random it really frustrates me some days. Then i find myself eyeing Munchkin-thulu really wanting to buy it.
Old 12-27-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
The board game group i sponsor has been recently playing Star Munchkin about every week. The kids really dig the game. I find it simultaneously fun and frustrating. The game is so random it really frustrates me some days. Then i find myself eyeing Munchkin-thulu really wanting to buy it.
I think the randomness is what we enjoy so much ... that and screwing each other over.

I have two groups of friends I play this with, with one big difference: one group plays by the rules, the other group takes the "back stab" idea to its fullest and cheats at every turn. Until a person gets caught of course, at which point they are at the full mercy of the group.

Both groups are fun though and the game is always a laugh-filled one.
Old 12-28-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a fun game called Khronos. My wife got it for me for our anniversary. It takes place on three boards that represent three different stages in time. What happens on the earlier boards can ripple through the later boards and effect things there. Its a bit rule heavy, and a little on the advanced side, but once you grasp the rules it actually flows very nicely.

I got a few games for Christmas; travel scrabble where you roll dice instead of picking tiles, travel taboo, and another travel game with lettered dice from the Cranium family. I also picked up the Diamond edition of Scrabble for my wife (she really likes scrabble).

My game group typically plays Catan, Puerto Rico, and those types of games. I think my one friend would only play those 2 if he had his way, but I try to keep them mixing it up a bit.
Old 12-28-08, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm old school I guess. My friends and I have a Monopoly party about once a month, and my mom and I play Scrabble from time to time.
Old 12-28-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will have to look into that Khronos game - it sounds intriguing.

I'm hoping to place a sizable Thoughthammer.com order soon and am going to catch up on some games. Going to get a couple games for the 4-year old (Elk Fest as well as Hey That's My Fish!) and then a few expansions for Arkham Horror.

I also had a box of games come up missing from my classroom when i switched schools so i may end up having to replace 5 sets of Treehouse pieces. I really want to play Binary Homeworlds again.

edit: I have owned Puerto Rico for a full year now but have yet to actually learn the game. Same thing with Settlers of Catan - i have never played it tabletop but i play it on Xbox Live every so often.
Old 12-28-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Word! It's so hard to find enough people that have time play or are willing to play. It's best when the game goes so long you have to leave it over night!

Also, Axis and Allies is good, but the damn thing takes an hour just to set up!
axis and allies rocks. my brother and i used to play that to death as kids, though it did take an age to get through.

a more recent one that i've been playing with friends plenty as a party game is "articulate". everyone i've played it with has become an instant fan and demanded more games. some of the girls have bought their own versions cos they love it so much.

it's a very simple game where the object is to get round the board before the opposing pieces. everyone forms teams (it's for 4 players plus) and then one member of a team has a minute to try and discribe various words (object, nature, random, world, etc) to their team mates to guess. the number they get right is the number the piece moves forward on the board. only two words can be skipped in a turn. it's deceptively simple and wonderfully revealing of people's interests and descriptive prowess. it's also highly addictive and can get very competitive!

http://www.boardgamecompany.co.uk/Articulate(DP1).htm
Old 12-29-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That Articulate sounds pretty cool. Sounds a lot like Taboo! with a twist on scoring/moving pieces. A couple we have grown to love that haven't been mentioned:

Cathedral: You take turns putting your pieces on the board until no more fit. It's very easy to play but can be a very challenging strategic game at the same time depending on the level of the players. It's not generally a cheap game though.

Blokus: Very similar to Cathedral, in that you take turns placing your pieces on the board until no more fit. The difference is that every piece you play must touch a corner piece of a piece you have already put on the board.

Who, What, Where?: - this one is a drawing game that we find more fun than Pictionary. Each player gets three cards a Who, a What, and a Where card, then you draw all three in one combined picture. For example, you draw Abe Lincoln as your who, the moon as your where, and tap dancing as your what. So you draw a picture of Abe Lincoln tap dancing on the moon. Each person has three different cards and is drawing at the same time. At the end everyone tries to guess what everyone else drew scoring points based on how correct they are. It's a pretty zany game that even non-artists can enjoy.

Fill or Bust: - Dice game with cards that affect how you roll. You roll six dice, and only the 1's and 5's are worth points (100 & 50). Although, there are all kinds of points you can get from different type rolls(3 of a kind, straight, etc.) and card variations, but it boils down to you get to keep rolling as long as you roll something worth points. You can usually stop and keep your points at any time, but once you roll some die that are worth zero you lose everything you earned on that turn. It's very addictive and everyone I've played with ended up loving it.

Wizard: This is a fun take on Spades like play involving tricks. You are dealt your cards and declare how many tricks you will take that hand. The twist is that the trump changes each hand. Another change is that you start the first hand with a single card, second hand-two, third-three and so on up to ten and then work your way backwards back to one card. It can be played with a standard deck of cards and has a name (Shanghai Rummy?) but this adds a couple unique cards into the mix. I haven't played it in a while so my memory is fuzzy.

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
We enjoy the card game Fluxx. But I haven't played it with more than 4 people. It's a silly game with a lot of luck, and your strategies keep getting disrupted by the flow of play. However, it's not all luck, because I usually win.
My wife and I just played this last night. We picked it up at one of the mall kiosks the other night (clearance since it is a seasonal kiosk). I was amazed at how expensive it was. $15 (pre-clearance discount)for a card game? Yikes. However, we played about five hands last night and loved it. I can't wait to try it with more people.
Old 12-29-08, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
My wife and I just played this last night. We picked it up at one of the mall kiosks the other night (clearance since it is a seasonal kiosk). I was amazed at how expensive it was. $15 (pre-clearance discount)for a card game? Yikes. However, we played about five hands last night and loved it. I can't wait to try it with more people.
I'm always surprised at the cost of card games. There are a couple that we play at my game night that I have wanted to pick up for myself (Bang!, Bohnanza, the card version of Puerto Rico...) but they are all $15 plus.
Old 12-29-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

While we are talking about it I'd like to ask if any DVDtalker knows how to get ahold of a copy of King's Court. I've been looking for a couple of years to no avail.
Old 12-29-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You haven't checked eBay? There's one up right now and says it's complete.
Old 12-29-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We played a lot of The Farming Game this winter break. kvrdave should know it, it was developed down the street from him.

Old 12-29-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rabbit77 View Post
You haven't checked eBay? There's one up right now and says it's complete.
I'm not seeing it. All I see are some checkers games, I'm referring to a card game from the 80's.

Actually if you google it, the third link pulls up a thread I started here two years ago asking about it.
Old 12-29-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, a card game. I thought you were looking for that lame looking checkers game Is this similar to what you're looking for? Maybe a reprint of the same game?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARD-FAMILY-GAME...3286.m20.l1116
Old 12-29-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is not in any way meant to be a shill, but if you're ok with buying online,check out Coolstuffinc.com. The things I've looked for, they seem to have a really good price on. Shipping sucks if you're buying just one thing, but if it's a heavy thing, or if you can buy something else, it would be worthwhile (they have one game where the cost, plus shipping, is still ten bucks less than at my local gaming shop.)
They have various Fluxx games for 10.99-12.99 for instance. Shipping for one is higher than the mall price, but adding another one only adds a little bit to shipping.
I'm debating ordering from them and returning some recent purchases to the store, but not sure it's worth the hassle.
Old 12-29-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Boardgamegeek has been down all day today and it is killing me. I have multiple games i need to look up based upon this thread.

edit: Good recommendation on online shopping for games. Personally i use www.thoughthammer.com because they have some of the best prices. 1/2 price shipping on orders over 100$ and free shipping on orders over 150$.

I also think they have a flat shipping rate of like 9$. I'm hoping to order a couple hundred dollars worth of games from them in a month or two.

Last edited by xmiyux; 12-29-08 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-31-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
While we are talking about it I'd like to ask if any DVDtalker knows how to get ahold of a copy of King's Court. I've been looking for a couple of years to no avail.
According to Boardgamegeek.com there are two games from the 80s named King's Court.

One is an Uno-like card game and the other is a checkers-like abstract board game. There is a copy of the checkers-like game for sale on BGG for $40.

These days I'm playing a lot of Dominion, which is a card game published by Rio Grande Games that comes in a board game size box. It's also really expensive ($45 retail) but it comes with 500 cards. The reason that many card games like Bang, Bohnanza, etc are more expensive is that they're printed in Europe and then shipped here so no sweatshop labor discounts. Plus the strong Euro vs the weak dollar right now....
Old 12-31-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Amator View Post
These days I'm playing a lot of Dominion, which is a card game published by Rio Grande Games that comes in a board game size box. It's also really expensive ($45 retail) but it comes with 500 cards. The reason that many card games like Bang, Bohnanza, etc are more expensive is that they're printed in Europe and then shipped here so no sweatshop labor discounts. Plus the strong Euro vs the weak dollar right now....
Was Dominion a recent release because within the past week i have had like 4 or 5 people mention this game to me online and i had previously never heard a thing.

I will have to look into ordering it from Thoughthammer sometime if it is getting good word of mouth.
Old 12-31-08, 09:51 AM

I was looking last night for Carcassonne for a friend (and subsequently found a couple of new expansions for myself as well) and the boardgamegeek.com marketplace was the cheapest I could find. I found 1 seller that had good prices and a lot of feedback, as well as not too shabby shipping prices and ordered the game and 2 expansions from him. Granted, this is trusting that they are going to ship the proper merchandise, but they had a lot of feedback and were also on eBay with a lot of feedback, so I don't feel it was too much a risk.

I think that may be the way to go from now on.
Old 12-31-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Amator View Post
According to Boardgamegeek.com there are two games from the 80s named King's Court.

One is an Uno-like card game
That's the one.
Old 01-01-09, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
Was Dominion a recent release because within the past week i have had like 4 or 5 people mention this game to me online and i had previously never heard a thing.

I will have to look into ordering it from Thoughthammer sometime if it is getting good word of mouth.
Yes, it was released within the past two months and is already #6 on the BGG game ranking system. The theme is that each player is a king trying to expand their small kingdom into Dominion of the region. Your deck starts with 10 cards, 7 of them are worth 1 coin each and 3 of them are worth 1 vp each. You shuffle these and draw a hand of five cards. From this hand you can use however many coin cards you've drawn to buy more cards. Each game uses 10 sets random action cards that give you additional cards, money, actions, etc. and some actions that can attack the other players. You have 25 action cards in the base game, though, so the strategy changes completely every game.

If you familiarize yourself with the rules via BGG, you can play the game online for free on BrettspielWelt.

I've played the game 25 times in person and 50+ times online. It's a quick 20-30 min game with a surprising amount of depth.
Old 01-01-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds really intriguing.

I can't deal with BrettspielWelt though. The German interface and lack of any kind of instruction was entirely too confusing for me when i tried it out a couple years back.

Sometimes i will try to play a game on SuperDooperGames (mostly i would play Icehouse games). I also was a member of Game Table Online for a couple weeks and it worked really well imo but i just didn't have enough time to make a membership worthwhile.

I will absolutely have to pick up Dominion if i see it sometime - it sounds like it would work well for my wife and i.
Old 01-01-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another game freak here! I just made a huge order yesterday!

1 x Torres (Rio Grande Games) $27.86
1 x Fjords (Rio Grande Games) $12.36
1 x Pandemic (Z-Man Games) $22.39
1 x Schotten-Totten (Pro Ludo) $12.80
1 x Kingsburg (Fantasy Flight Games) $33.46
1 x Aton (Rio Grande Games) $18.56
1 x California (Uberplay) $21.44
1 x Jambo (Rio Grande Games) $15.46
1 x Mr. Jack (Asmodee Editions) $27.51
1 x Wasabi! (Z-Man Games) $22.39
1 x Thurn & Taxis $18.56

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38060
Old 01-01-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to look into Pandemic. I really like cooperative games but hadn't heard of that one.

I have Lord of the Rings and Arkham Horror.

Last edited by xmiyux; 01-01-09 at 10:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.