Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Board Games

Old 01-28-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Board Games

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
The Kickstarter Edition of Coup is on Amazon for $19.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Indie-Boards-C...pr_product_top

The standard version has been under $10 at a few shops, but this seems like a pretty decent deal for the extras.

Any of you big gamers have thoughts on Tiny Epic Kingdoms? I haven't kickstarted something before, but it looks to be right up my alley:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-epic-kingdoms
Buy Coup. They said that a reprint will take something like 3 months. 20$ is a steal for the KS edition and it is a fantastic game.

Yeah, I kicked Tiny Epic Kingdoms as well. Was bummed Shapeshifters won. I wanted Faeries.
Old 01-28-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Coup for $20 is dead. Shows up @ $70 for me. Search result shows $20 w/Prime and $20 from other sellers. No dice when you click the item though.

I appreciate the heads up though.
Old 01-28-14, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry Corvin, they had over a 1,000 but went really fast. I'm guessing lots of resellers bought them up.

Actually yeah, looking now a few offers are already popping up, but still more than $20 (one at 27.99 right now).
Old 01-28-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn, 1000? And they went that fast? Shit.
Old 01-28-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it was closer to 400 when I posted, I really underestimated how fast it would go. The thread at BGG grew pretty fast as well, with a lot of discussion about the ethics of selling Kickstarter "exclusives" after it's over. I get the argument, but am glad I got one.
Old 01-28-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't have an issue with selling kickstarter 'exclusives' after the fact. Bottom line, you're helping fund the project. That's the point of the site. Everything else is gravy. You get the game (in this case anyway) before anyone else and get to enjoy it long before anyone else gets to experience it. That's the real exclusive.
Old 01-28-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People are stupid about the exclusive thing. They really never claimed the cards would be exclusives - they said they would sell them later. They did however claim the shiny box with the Kickstarter logo would be exclusive... but really?

Super dumb.

I am glad more folks got the awesome game.
Old 01-28-14, 08:51 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Coup for $20 is dead. Shows up @ $70 for me. Search result shows $20 w/Prime and $20 from other sellers. No dice when you click the item though.

I appreciate the heads up though.
I got in on Coup.. I got my order in at about 6:40 pm.. Its showing not shipped yet but has a delivery estimate of Friday the 31st.. Hopefully I get a copy and it didn't sell out before I ordered.
Old 01-28-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's showing as available again, has been off and on for the past few hours.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I don't have an issue with selling kickstarter 'exclusives' after the fact. Bottom line, you're helping fund the project. That's the point of the site. Everything else is gravy. You get the game (in this case anyway) before anyone else and get to enjoy it long before anyone else gets to experience it. That's the real exclusive.
Complete agreement.
Old 01-28-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Score! 3 left in stock as of this post.
Old 01-29-14, 08:16 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Looks like I'm good. My Amazon status is "Shipping Now" as of 5 minutes ago. Should have it on Friday.
Old 01-29-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice. Glad you guys got it.

Thanks for everyone in this thread BTW. I went a little crazy this holiday season getting back into gaming. Everyone is pretty casual, so I can't get most of the stuff I want, but so far I've had great success with Catan, Dixit, Telestrations and Forbidden Island. The kids liked Castle Panic and Gubs.

I also grabbed Pandemic, Flash Point, Dominion, and Agricola, but haven't been able to get them to the table yet (and I'm doubting I'll have much success ever doing so on the later two until my kids get a little older )
Old 01-29-14, 09:30 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Pandemic is a good game and I enjoy playing it when I can. I like that it is a cooperative game so everyone is on the same team. I've heard really good things about Flash Point.. I have it, as it was a gift bought for me, but haven't broken it out yet to play. I enjoy dominion, but many people feel it is a sub-par game now that there are better deck building games out there. Agricola, I don't have, but I've heard really good things about it as well. I do have it on my iPhone but haven't played it yet.
Old 01-29-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, like I said I went a little overboard. I'm guessing if I don't like dominion I should be able to recoup the cost pretty easily (I have a few other deckbuilders to try as well). Mostly I need to get the rest of the Dixit games/cards now, as I know that will get a lot of play.
Old 01-29-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agricola is fun but it is very much a Euro. Lots of good decisions to make but the game can take longer to play than I really like to spend.

Flash Point is great and my #1 co-op game now.

I don't really like Dominion any more.
Old 01-29-14, 11:40 AM

I'm personally a big fan of Colonizers of Malaar and The Cones of Dunshire.
Old 01-29-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.vulture.com/2013/12/cones...l-history.html

Fenlon: We’ll have a game by August of next year, for sure. It was never our plan, and it is not now our plan, to make a commercial version of Cones of Dunshire. But there will definitely be a staging of Cones of Dunshire next summer at GenCon in Indianapolis, which is the biggest game show in the United States. It will be big and festive and probably for charity. It’s our hope for the Parks & Rec guys to be there, for Ben to play his own game.

Last edited by pinata242; 01-29-14 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
Yeah, I kicked Tiny Epic Kingdoms as well. Was bummed Shapeshifters won. I wanted Faeries.
This ended up being my first kickstarter, I'm really hoping it can hit the 5th player stretch goal.

I'm also backing Draco Magi, which has already been funded as well.
Old 02-04-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went to a game gathering this past weekend, Thurs through Sunday. Even with the poor weather, we had probably 200+ people and easily 1000+ games to choose from. Got about 50 various plays in, some new to me, some favorites.
A couple off the top of my head:

DC Deckbuilder. I got this from Amazon during the holidays' lightning deals, I liked it played solo. Got another half dozen plays this weekend, with from 2 to 4 players. It's much lighter and faster and easier to set up than Dominion or other deckbuilders, but I like it a lot. The heroes really can have a lot of synergy with the right cards, and it's very accessible but still has a decent bit of strategy to it. Plus I love DC heroes.

Tapple - great fun party game with a cool toy as the game board. It's a ten second timer with levers for most letters, you have ten seconds to come up with a word that matches the clue, that starts with a letter that hasn't been used yet, and hit the letter and the timer before it goes off. It was very fun and we kept hearing 'one more round'.

Sentinels of the Multiverse - Omnitron X, Bunker, Ra, Tempest, and Fanatic versus Miss Information in the Wasteland. It was looking really brutal for a while, but Ra kept pounding with the fire stick thing, Omnitron kept knocking out the environmental targets, Tempest kept healing, Bunker whittled her down, and Fanatic did one of her martyr moves to defeat her while Fanatic was at 1 HP. It was exciting. Love this game and it was great to play with a larger group.

Got to share and teach some of my favorite co-ops: Defenders of the Realm, Forbidden Island, Castle Panic, Castle Ravenloft; got to play Zombicide twice with a full table and some great people; taught and played Thebes and Finca which are older but still very good; and of course the late night Time's Up! and Telestrations were hilarious fun.

New to me:

SOS Titanic - It's basically co-op Klondike solitaire with some tweaks. the guy who bought this bought it because of the 'sinking' mechanic, basically a book with spaces at the bottom for the lines, but as bad things happened, the pages turned and the ship sank. The iconography on the action cards takes some getting used to, and ultimately it is solitaire, but when it's a person about to drown versus a red 8, that definitely adds something to it.

Tasnia - an interesting tile selection/card/building game. Just off the boat from Kickstarter.

Hanabi - co-op deduction game. I can see the appeal but this is totally not for me, my short term memory would hate me.

La Boca - semi co-op block building game. Very fun. You play as a partner with every other player, twice; you share a set of blocks and both see one side of a card which has 2 different block patterns you need to try to build at the same time. I like the rotating team thing. This was fun although we played once with 6, which got a little cumbersome based on how we had the table set up. I would say that with 4 or more, put the board out and having people sit in the 'hot seats' and everyone else mill around them. I think this would be a great party game which would also help with that issue, and add even more trash talk or cheers.

The Adventurers - oh this was fun. You're exploring a pyramid, looking for treasures and trying to escape, but there's a giant rock rolling down the hallway - so you cut across this floor - but some tiles are traps, that dump you into the lava - you made it through there, so now you take a shortcut through the raging river - hope you get out before you go over the waterfall - whew you made it out of the pyramid- but how many treasures were you able to bring with you? I was the first one out but I had to lose treasures to survive the waterfall so I ended up in last place.

Takenoko - "the panda game" - cute action selection/worker placement game, very light and reasonably quick.

And of course bought a few games at the flea market - Conquest of Planet Earth (in case you haven't guessed, I love themey co-ops), Rinngs and AMAZEing Labyrinth for my son, and Fantasy and Hex Hex Next for parties (I actually bought those two from Richard Launius.)
Some folks were playing a prerelease copy of Draco Magi, I didn't get a chance to watch for long but it looked fun.

The most popular games I saw out a lot were La Boca, Caverna, and Russian Railroads. RR was totally not my style of game so I have no comment on it. I sat at Caverna, they said 'it's better than Agricola, I like this and I don't like Agricola' which was good because I hate Agricola - but after ten minutes of hearing the explanation of these individual unique 25 cards, I had to bail - I did have an excuse, I was meeting my brother for dinner in a little under an hour and a half - and I did get someone to take my place.

Now just to catch up on sleep, and anxiously await the next game-a-thon. And buy half a dozen more games that I played and liked.
Old 02-05-14, 09:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Played the more casual family game Can't Stop the other day and loved it.

May still buy the board someday but found a really well-done iOS port of I that my girls and I are addicted to right now.
Old 02-05-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Having owned it for over a year, I finally got a chance to play Flash Point last night. Though capable of more, we played with the basic/family rules and setup for our first game just to learn the ropes. We dominated it which was kind of disappointing, I expected more of a challenge, but I expect the next time it'll be better as we make it harder and add specializations.

What I didn't like about it is that it suffers from the same flaw Pandemic has in that, invariably, one person will dominate the gameplay decisions for every player. It becomes less of a set of individuals working towards a common goal and more a single person running the show.

While we didn't encounter this, I was curious about the "building collapse" end game scenario. The game doesn't explicitly say you lose in this condition, but it implies that as long as you've rescued 7+ victims, you win. Is that true? Is the idea that as long as you save more people than firefighters die as the thing smashes you, you win?

Which expansions do you all recommend?
Old 02-05-14, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post

While we didn't encounter this, I was curious about the "building collapse" end game scenario. The game doesn't explicitly say you lose in this condition, but it implies that as long as you've rescued 7+ victims, you win. Is that true? Is the idea that as long as you save more people than firefighters die as the thing smashes you, you win?
The copy of the rules I have on my computer (which it is not a direct copy of the current rule book so it might be a little different) are pretty clear...

DEFEAT - Building Collapse The game ends in defeat for all players the moment all 30 damage tokens are exhausted....
Old 02-05-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Weird as the game only comes with 24 damage tokens. At least the 2nd Edition I got from CSI in December 2012.
Old 02-05-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to the rules when you save 7 victims the game ends and you win. You can choose to keep playing to save 10 if you like... but if the building collapses you lose.

We always play to save them all or die trying.

Specializations make it *much* meatier and much more fun.

Also, pretty sure mine only has the 24 tokens.

Adding in expansions also can greatly up the difficulty as you add things like:

Heavy victims
Victims that explode
Doors that may be locked
Doors that could jam
Damage to floors
Exploding cars/tanks of chemicals
Chemical spills
Multiple floors

etc.
Old 02-05-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So there's still a grey area between the 7th victim being rescued and the building collapsing.

Say you have decided to go for more victims, but you already have enough to win. Do you lose if the building collapses then? Which rule prevails?

What if you decide to stop at 7 (or more), can you call it a victory if firefighters are still in the building? Do you have to get out before it collapses? Should unrescued victims count against your total? What about abandoned/dead firefighters?

I guess I'm not satisfied with the end conditions as printed and I'll likely modify them to be more realistic and make it harder I still don't know if I like the concept of automatically moving out of the building if you're "Knocked Down". Perhaps a fallen comrade needs to be dragged out before he can revive.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.